Former US surgeon general got billed $5000 at ER for dehydration treatment

A family member had a medical procedure in the US a year ago that was billed for a total of just under $100,000. The insurance company paid about $36,000 and we had a deductible/co-pay total of about $3,000. The hospital wrote off the rest.

I can only assume that it was intentional over-billing in order to extract the maximum from the insurance company.  I'm sure that without insurance we would have been pressured to pay the full invoiced amount. Sounds as if Dr. Adams is in a similar position, but with a high-deductible policy.

30 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

This post is a joke, correct? Jerome Adams was fired by President Biden. This guy is a loser. The United States has some of the best healthcare in the world. He can certainly afford the best healthcare.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/jerome-adams-hawaii-citation-trnd/index.html

He wasn't fired. Along with a lot of other officials from the Trump administration, Biden asked him to step down. This is not unusual when a new administration takes office.

And what does it matter if he is rich or not. It the implications for public policy. What kind of medical system is it where treatment for dehydration can cost $5000?

And the US has a terrible healthcare performance compared to other advanced economies. It costs more and the results are mostly worse. Except if you're wealthy. If money is no object, then it's great.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

He wasn't fired. Along with a lot of other officials from the Trump administration, Biden asked him to step down. This is not unusual when a new administration takes office.

hahahah

potato potato

2 hours ago, Keep Right said:

This post is a joke, correct? Jerome Adams was fired by President Biden. This guy is a loser. The United States has some of the best healthcare in the world. He can certainly afford the best healthcare.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/jerome-adams-hawaii-citation-trnd/index.html

Best healthcare in the world. Ha! If you can afford it. If you don't have insurance, or your condition isn't covered, you might very well end up paying through absurd amounts. Out of network physicians, opaque pricing, needless tests...Complaints are legion.

On 2/29/2024 at 1:36 PM, Keep Right said:

The United States has some of the best healthcare in the world. 

You mean the country that has 4% of the world's population and over 15% of the world's Covid deaths?  That country with the "best healthcare in the world"?

About a year ago, I went to the ER for a toothache around midnight, just to get some pain meds to tide me over until the dentist's office opened the next day.  The bill was over $1,500 for a 10 minute discussion with a nurse practitioner, nothing else.  She offered me an oxycontin, but only if I'd take it in front of her, which I declined because I drove myself.  She wouldn't give me a single pill to take home with me.  But she did give me a script to fill when the pharmacies opened the next morning at 8:00.  So, effectively, $1,500 for a Tylenol.

Best healthcare in the world, indeed.