Importing A Car From Australia, Help!

toxsickcity

Hello,

I would like some serious help.

I really want to get a car from my home land and bring it here to thailand.

I am married to a thai citizan, and want to bring a sports car here from australia

The car is a Nissan Silvia (200SX) S15

1999-2001 Year, with 2nd Series sr20DET

This is such a beautiful Car. I dont currently own one, can anyone give me ideas of how I can go about this.

I understand most about the taxes and also there is a possitive effect for me and importing as the AUSSIE & THAI's FTA (Free Trade Agreement) comes into play!

Can anyone tell me is it is possible to import a car even know I dont own one in australia?

Toxsickcity,

I went trough that exercise,to bring a car in is very hard.Cars over 10 years old are not that bad duty wise,anything younger attracts very hefty duty.Check the

Thai customs site RE importation rules & applicable duty & taxes.

The FTA between Australia & Thailand has taken effect,but mainly covers manufacturers.You can check the wording or ask the question,just visit the Australian foreingn Affairs site.

Hope that can help you mate.

Best of luck let me know. :o

From what I have read from the informations from the agreement.

The Import duty will be reduced from 80% to 0% for Cars with Engine larger than 3000cc, and from 80 to 30% for small cars with engine smaller than 3000cc.

Holden/Ford manufactures usually have 3600cc engines in the cars they wanna export.

as far as what I have studied, if I was gonna import a car costs for a car say 1999 year would be as follows.

Say the cost of car FOB is 1.45 Million YEN!

convert that to baht. so yeh a big number... something like

620,000 baht + Insurance and Freight. so make it like 660,000

car is 5.5 Years manufactured 1999 so 5.5 years old so that is aprox 60% discount

I believe that it would be like this. based on FTA

660 - 60% = 264000 baht

264000 x 0 import duty = 0

264000 x .5 for Excise tax = 132000

(264000 + excise tax) / 7 = 27000

and than a 7% tax on that = 29000

i think it would be close to 180,000 baht for duty after the FTA in place.

so if 620,000 + 180,000 = 800,000 baht

for a 1999 S15

I have seen on one2car.com that they sell a silvia 1992 with mods for 720,000

any comments... welcome.. as I may be wrong... hehehe

For impoting a car to Thailand , I was using my non immigrant visa as I am over 50 & retiring there.To work out your costing you cannot deduct the discount upfront.You have to work out the total cost with taxes , it is a compounding formula.The value of the vehicle is worked out by Thai customs,by either comparing it to a local product or( World Valuations?).There example of importing a car worth BHT 1,000,000.00 total Import+excise+interior tax+base VAT +VAT=

Total taxes payable BHT 2,141,707.20 then you deduct your discount from there.So if you have to pay full tax It's a ###### expensive vehicle.

Shipping costs from Australia are relatively cheap.I eas going to ship a car to Singapore then drive to LOS, $1,200.00.Direct to Bangkok,only got one price for container,I'm sure I can get it cheaper,was around AUS $4,000.00.

Hope that can help you guys.

PS duties vary on type of vehicle eg: passenger,utility & cab chassis.

Cheers.

George.

My understanding that the FTA does not apply to personal imports.

It may apply to personal imports in years to come, but in the beginning it won't. The ATFTA doesn't formally start until 2005 ( it has to pass the Australian Parliament first. Its purpose is, as the name suggests, Free Trade, and the promotion thereof.

It sounds like you are pretty attached to your car which I understand. My Torrie is sitting in the driveway with a trap back in oz with the old man taking it for a spin once a week or so . For a whiles thought of bringing it over but just not worth the hassle and cost .Instead looking to buy a Torana , Kingswood or early model Commodore locally to help with homesickness and bring some bogan flavour to the LOS :o

I spoke to a german guy about a year ago, who wanted to sell his ancient BMW 6-something. He was driving it around Pattaya on german plates. Claimed he just had to drive over the border to cambodia once yearly to keep it legal ... no taxes... The car was a wreck so I wasn't interested but if his story was true it would be a cheap way to get a nice car...

I spoke to a german guy about a year ago, who wanted to sell his ancient BMW 6-something. He was driving it around Pattaya on german plates. Claimed he just had to drive over the border to cambodia once yearly to keep it legal ... no taxes... The car was a wreck so I wasn't interested but if his story was true it would be a cheap way to get a nice car...

I thought that it was only 6 months, and that Thai Customs wake up fast if scamming is suspected.

Yeh all this is stressing me out...

boohoo! haha all I want is a HOT S15

hahaha

Doesnt matter to much...

I will for now just find a 200SX with the POPUP lights 1993-1995 model It should keep me happy for a few years..

Purhaps after a few years after the FTA in set.. they may relax the import procedures a little? who really knows..

ASEAN which is the something for the south eastean asias think that thailand want to be a mayor part of Vehicle Import and EXPORT.. I think somewhere I read that thailand want to be the hub of South East ASIA..

###### if holden are gonna setup here I might buy myself a brand spankin GTR or even a clubsport... hmmmm drivin a holden in asia would feel pretty ###### special! haha

I will keep my eye out for extra informations..

thanks for all your inputs fellas...

Keep it real...

Sounds like a long and expensive process,

have you considered buying the same car here? or even a similar one such as the 180sx 200sx, and silvia (jap spec) www.one2car.com will have a few that you can look at (prices in thai auto magazines range from 300,000 baht at the lowest for a 200sx and 5-600,000 at the maximum.

some even come with a 1jz or 2Jz toyota supra powerplant with twin turbo, so you might even get more bang for your buck?

(note website is in thai but go to the tabs menu on the right and select your Car of choice and u should find something similar)

Ryan