Looking For A Small Getaway From Chiang Mai Any Help Appreaciated

chaimdan

Hi Guys,

I am hoping maybe some of you who are in Chiang Mai on a more regular basis would be able to help me.

I am visiting in August and was looking to get out of town for a couple of nights ( I basically have two nights and two days) and I am looking for a nice place to stay. I would like to be centrally located so I can see the usual tourist attractions (which most of you are prob. totally sick off) like elephant riding, bamboo rafting and perhaps a tribe (if it's done right).

I want to be in a place that is quieter than Chiang MAi (I'm going to be there for a 5 days after that) where I can find a nice thai looking resort/hotel/bungalow doesn't have to be too fancy... but in a nice garden with a river/lake mountains etc.

People mentioned Pai as being a good choice I'm wondering what you think about that and if that really makes sense. I understand it's over-run by tourists but perhaps if I stay on the outskirts of this town I would find what I'm looking for?!

Anyone have any comments? suggestions? I would have loved the drive to Mae Hong Son but doesn't seem like it would be worth my while with my time constraints... I figured perhaps Pai or some place a little further would also have some of the charm.

Thanks again, sorry it's so long.

Hi Guys,

I am hoping maybe some of you who are in Chiang Mai on a more regular basis would be able to help me.

I am visiting in August and was looking to get out of town for a couple of nights ( I basically have two nights and two days) and I am looking for a nice place to stay. I would like to be centrally located so I can see the usual tourist attractions (which most of you are prob. totally sick off) like elephant riding, bamboo rafting and perhaps a tribe (if it's done right).

I want to be in a place that is quieter than Chiang MAi (I'm going to be there for a 5 days after that) where I can find a nice thai looking resort/hotel/bungalow doesn't have to be too fancy... but in a nice garden with a river/lake mountains etc.

People mentioned Pai as being a good choice I'm wondering what you think about that and if that really makes sense. I understand it's over-run by tourists but perhaps if I stay on the outskirts of this town I would find what I'm looking for?!

Anyone have any comments? suggestions? I would have loved the drive to Mae Hong Son but doesn't seem like it would be worth my while with my time constraints... I figured perhaps Pai or some place a little further would also have some of the charm.

Pai caters mainly to backpackers, and there is a proliferation of cheaper accommodation in and around town (almost all less than 1,000 bhat/night). You will not find aircon or luxury around Pai, though there are a couple of more upmarket places to be found such as the Pai Hotsprings Spa Resort. You'll find it with a web search.

Note that Pai s at least 3-4 hours by road from Chiang Mai.

Given your time constraints, you might want to consider flying. I know there are flights to Pai these days and was thinking about giving it a try myself. If you can fly, consider Mae Hong Son. Went there around 8 years ago and stayed in the Sang Tong Huts (garden setting, well designed and decorated huts--almost luxury style) and ate at The Fern. One of my most memorable weekends ever. Walked around town and saw some touristy places, but didn't head out on any tours--can't comment on that stuff, but there were plenty of touts willing to take us out.

Good luck...

go to Mae Sot, it is quiet but charming. there is a clean and cheep (about500B) hotel in center of town. recommend "by Fern" restaurant. big market at border bridge.

take at least 3 days. drive via Mae sariang and then along the burmese border.if you have enough time go to Umphang 170 km south of Mae Sot.

Thanks a lot guys...

How long would the drive be from Mae Hong Son back to CM? Is pai really 3-4 hours away??? it was just 120 KM or so, that's crazy...

If I wanted to stay within 150 KM of CM and have the touristy options would Pai be the best? or are there other similar places for non backpackers?

Thanks again everyone

no, its not far to Pai but your heading into the mountains and it takes ages to get there by road.....it is however stunning scenery and i enjoy the drive. Personally i prefer Mae Hong Son. Have you thought about going on a road trip towards Chiangrai? some great little towns on the way you can take a few days over it.Its a nice trip.

Thanks a lot guys...

How long would the drive be from Mae Hong Son back to CM? Is pai really 3-4 hours away??? it was just 120 KM or so, that's crazy...

If I wanted to stay within 150 KM of CM and have the touristy options would Pai be the best? or are there other similar places for non backpackers?

Thanks again everyone

Yes, it really takes that long. I spend a lot of time there. The road is windy, windy, windy. People in the back often get car sick!

Sounds like you want to keep it simple and stay really local. You can do all of that just outside the city of CM very easily when you take off to one of the many many resorts located in Samoeng and Mae Rim. Though you're just 10 km's outside of the city, you're in the hills, by stream, flowers, trees, small villages, the whole shebang. It's so easy. You don't have to travel on a bus for umpteen hours. You'll already be halfway to the elephants and rafting that way too. You have everything from first class resorts, to more of the do-it-yourself quiet little bungalws set in nice garden spaces, where you are likely to find vacationing Thais from BKK as well. Just google 'Samoeng" and "Resort," maybe "Mae Rim" also. Belle Villa is supposed to be very nice. THere are a ton up there, easily ten in the hills of Doi Suthep and Samoeng. Good luck and let us know where you end up.

People mentioned Pai as being a good choice I'm wondering what you think about that and if that really makes sense. I understand it's over-run by tourists but perhaps if I stay on the outskirts of this town I would find what I'm looking for?! ... I figured perhaps Pai or some place a little further would also have some of the charm.

Pai caters mainly to backpackers, and there is a proliferation of cheaper accommodation in and around town (almost all less than 1,000 bhat/night). You will not find aircon or luxury around Pai, though there are a couple of more upmarket places to be found such as the Pai Hotsprings Spa Resort. You'll find it with a web search.

Not quite true these days. Belle Villa, Ban Krathing, and a few others definitely have air con and can be classified as upscale. Pai is still mainly a backpacker place, that's true, but it is gradually going upscale.

The outskirts of Pai would be an excellent idea for a getaway I think. Pai has attracted some good musicians and artists too, so if you enjoy that it would be the best choice in the area.

But if you want the same type of scenery as Pai but almost guaranteed without tourists, try Doi Farang Bungalows in Phrao, just 1 hour's drive from Chiang Mai. With the exception of that resort, Phrao is pretty much as Northern Thai as it gets.

Chiang Dao is not a bad idea either, just a 2 hour drive from Chiang Mai. Very quiet and beautiful, unique nature.

I am not a fan of Chiang Rai town, but there are also nice enough places in the greater province of Chiang Rai.

EDIT: Realthaideal is right about Samoeng being a good choice too - even closer to Chiang Mai than the others, although you don't notice. I've tried Belle Villa and Ban Klang Doi - both of them are nice, but Ban Klang Doi is cheaper.

no, its not far to Pai but your heading into the mountains and it takes ages to get there by road.....it is however stunning scenery and i enjoy the drive. Personally i prefer Mae Hong Son. Have you thought about going on a road trip towards Chiangrai? some great little towns on the way you can take a few days over it. Its a nice trip.
Pai is about 3-4 hours away and if you cross the bridge and get out of town should meet your requirements. Personally, I prefer Chiang Rai which is about the same distance away, but busier and less backpacky.

I'd be very interested to hear of suggestions en route to, or around, Chiang Rai.

Thanks a lot guys...

Thanks again everyone

Yes, it really takes that long. I spend a lot of time there. The road is windy, windy, windy. People in the back often get car sick!

Pai takes that long. Mae Hongson is twice as far. :o

Thanks everyone for your help you've all been so helpful.

Because of time constraints (I only have from wednesday afternoon till friday afternoon) I don't think I would have enough time for MHS. Phrao seems a little too remote for us.

Thanks for the suggestions of Samoeng and Mae Rim, I'm definitely going to consider that especially if weather isn't good... (is that where all the snake shows and money shows are?)

Is there any way to combine Chiang Dao and Pai or are they too far apart? if we want the usual massages and rides mentioned above are they available in all places

If I do decide to fly to pai is there anyway I can find a driver there? I was originally planning on renting a car in CM, but if it's 4 hours each way I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Sorry for the barrage of questions again, I feel I'm almost there though. Good night everyone.... Dan

If going trekking/birding/cycling etc.. around Chiang Dao. Stay at 'Malee's Nature Lovers Bungalows'

IMHO much better than Chiang Dao Nest.. although she may not have a flashy website, her beautiful resort and international cult status following will most definately satisfy your needs.. She was the first here and can arrange for you everything that the others do. Her cooking is exceptional also.

If going trekking/birding/cycling etc.. around Chiang Dao. Stay at 'Malee's Nature Lovers Bungalows'

IMHO much better than Chiang Dao Nest.. although she may not have a flashy website, her beautiful resort and international cult status following will most definately satisfy your needs.. She was the first here and can arrange for you everything that the others do. Her cooking is exceptional also.

I've not stayed at Chiang Dao Nest, but have stayed with Malee twice. Quiet and freindly, and she speaks excellent English which is a bonus for many farang.

A trip to Den Ya Kat substation right at the summit of Doi Chiang Dao is a must.. the views are truly remarkable. You'll also have the opportunity to see some of Thailand's bird species specialities..

Quite a few rare avians reside up their.. and you're likely to meet top birders from all over the world on this well known mountain. Malee can arrange a 4WD (and guides if needed) to get you up there.

The only thing is that I'm traveling with wife and baby so I won't have much opportunity to hike and bike... I would need more relax time with some massage places nearby and maybe visit a tribe... we may attempt a short elephant ride...

Chaing Dao sounds gorgeous just not sure with the baby if it would be better suited than pai

Is there any way to combine Chiang Dao and Pai or are they too far apart?

Well, you can actually continue past Chiang Dao cave and keep going until you hit Huay Nam Dang national park, which connects back to the road to Pai & Mae Hong Son. That's through the hills though, and while it's very scenic, I'm not sure the road is paved all the way, meaning it would be, well, interesting, in the rainy season.

So it's probably faster to just go back South from Chiang Dao along the main road, then take the main road to Pai; it's not that much of a detour.

Is there any way to combine Chiang Dao and Pai or are they too far apart?

Well, you can actually continue past Chiang Dao cave and keep going until you hit Huay Nam Dang national park, which connects back to the road to Pai & Mae Hong Son. That's through the hills though, and while it's very scenic, I'm not sure the road is paved all the way, meaning it would be, well, interesting, in the rainy season.

So it's probably faster to just go back South from Chiang Dao along the main road, then take the main road to Pai; it's not that much of a detour.

From my recent experience, that road goes about 35 k past the cave before it hits a town. A far as I can tell, that's where it ends. No road out to anywhere from there... I looked carefully both times I was there.

"Sorry for the barrage of questions again, I feel I'm almost there though. Good night everyone.... Dan"

Dan Dan Dan. The barrage of ??'s is no problem. I suggest however, that you keep things simple. You will be traveling to CM already and losing part of a day. Then with a few days left, try to spend your time in one place and RELAX. Just take it in. After 4 yrs here I still haven't seen it all. Stay one place and get a feel and let yourself have some fun. As for me, with cramped cars, trucks and buses, every time I travel it takes something out of me. I like to get somewhere and stay awhile. You can't take in all of these places in a few days especially if you want to enjoy yourself and talk to some people. Either of the choices you are focusing on are good; Pai, Chiang Dao, Mae Rim/Samoeng. Pai is furthest from CM and should be your focus if you go there. Chiang Dao is close enough that the ride is easy and you can travel into CM w/out too much damage in a day. Mae Rim and Samoeng are connected but distinctly different and close to the city -VERY. YOu can reach them easily and yet feel you are way out in the Thai mountains. The roads up there are great for biking or moto-ing around and you will find yourself a fun attraction for the few villagers you might run into. Lots of farms too. Towards Mae Rim, yes, snake farms and elephants to see. This is the easiest one for someone with limited time - and I can't really see you regretting it. Also, keep in mind that Chiang Dao with the caves has some trekking limitations due to possible muddy pathways and also wet season vegetation growth. I know some caves are more accessible when they can cut their way in more easily or burn the vines in the dry season.

Point is though - pick ONE. Keep it simple. Get your taste of The North and know there is more for you to catch the next time around. But really get to know and enjoy where you stay. Be sure to eat some Khao Soi too!!!

Point is though - pick ONE. Keep it simple. Get your taste of The North and know there is more for you to catch the next time around. But really get to know and enjoy where you stay. Be sure to eat some Khao Soi too!!!

Thanks a lot, point well taken... one location it is.

Last things... would I be missing much (in terms of nature, views, feel etc..) by staying close in Mae Rim/Samoeng as oppose to Pai? And does Mae Rim/Samoeng have motor bike rentals, massages etc? are they streets or two seperate villages? any recommondations for good thai looking accomodations there in nice settings? you mentioned they were different from one another, mind to explain?

thanks so much

would I be missing much (in terms of nature, views, feel etc..) by staying close in Mae Rim/Samoeng as oppose to Pai?

Depends what you are looking for exactly. I dont think you'll be disappointed either way. Some generalizations - Pai has far more tourists, with younger backpackers making up the majority, while Mae Rim/Samoeng tends to get more expats, day trip package tourists based in Chiang Mai town, and local/Thai tourists, typically not many backpackers.

And does Mae Rim/Samoeng have motor bike rentals, massages etc?

Massage yes - if there isnt a massage/spa at the hotel, just ask the receptionist and they should be able to book a massage for you. Motorbike rentals are probably not available everywhere, but I'd be surprised if there are none at all. As you would be wise to book accommodation in advance via the Internet or a travel agent (the walk in rate is always the highest if we are not talking low budget accommodation), you can ask about this when making the booking.

Are they streets or two seperate villages?

Mae Rim and Samoeng are districts, i.e. subdivisions of a province, in this case Chiang Mai. I think what most people are referring to is the road that goes around the back of Doi Suthep, which covers parts of both districts.

The Mae Rim part has elephant camps, monkey shows, and ATV (4wd motorcycle) rentals, and further up and around the mountain towards Samoeng there are more quiet resorts in a more peaceful setting.

Hi Guys,

That was true a few years back. Now there's plenty of upscale Air-con places. Belle Villa resort, Baan Krating, Pai River Corner (recommended, it's _very_ nice, downtown) to name a few.

Pai nowadays caters to farang backpackers and hip Bangkok middle-class tourists. The latter are very seasonal and do not come in August. They come in December/January by the busload though.

There's even an airport in Pai, one flight daily from CM for about 1700 Bht one way.

from Pai... N. :o

Edited by nikster

If I do decide to fly to pai is there anyway I can find a driver there? I was originally planning on renting a car in CM, but if it's 4 hours each way I'm wondering if it's worth it.

There are motorbike taxis in Pai. You can also rent motorbikes everywhere for the usual 100Bt/day.

There are no car taxis and you can't rent a car.. I think there is one guy renting out a car but it's hit or miss. If you want a car, you need to rent in CM.

The road takes me 2.5 hours or less when I am pushing it. If you have never driven the mountain road, it will still take no more than 3 hours from CM downtown. The road is very curvy and very steep in some places but in very good condition. Go north and follow the (large) signs for the bypass, it may not be on your map.

For those who haven't been there for a few years:

- There is now a bypass before Mae Mallai which cuts off 10 minutes

- The entire road on the mountain - which used to be terrible - has just been redone and it's all new, smooth asphalt.