Driving from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin

skorts

Looking to drive from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin. Hoping to avoid central Bangkok by going west of Bangkok. Any suggestions on the route and a place to stop overnight, about half way down, would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Stop at Kamphaeng Phet. Historical is in 2 sections 150 baht for a combined ticket. You can drive thru 1 section. Nice restaurants on river. The road from Lampang to KP is fairly good and enjoyable drive.

The other good option would be Sukhothai.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

Stop at Kamphaeng Phet. Historical is in 2 sections 150 baht for a combined ticket. You can drive thru 1 section. Nice restaurants on river. The road from Lampang to KP is fairly good and enjoyable drive.

The other good option would be Sukhothai.

Great ideas thank you. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Done trip a few times just done it last month ,,,try heading to this place I stayed here place is ok include breakfast 700 bht

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2UUh4AXT6LtXEUPt8?g_st=ic

then them roads will take you down to the west of bangkok 321 is one of the roads you head for.

This is the route down through Nakhon pathom 

IMG_4815.thumb.png.090afcefddad9a96d3fd2696cb9f695e.png

Fantastic thank you!

Just now, skorts said:

Fantastic thank you!

Beware if you stay that hotel it is located real far back you think it’s closed but have to drive right to very back and it opens up ,,,,pretty bizarre place arriving at night.

It’s easy drive chiang mai to there I didn’t leave chiang mai till 11 am was messing around few stops along way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nakhon Sawan for convenience. 

Take an extra day to spend in Sukhothai instead. Leave for NP after an evening and morning at Sukhothai historical park. 

CM - Sukhothai - Nakhon Pathom - HH.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Nakhon Sawan for convenience. 

Take an extra day to spend in Sukhothai instead. Leave for NP after an evening and morning at Sukhothai historical park. 

CM - Sukhothai - Nakhon Pathom - HH.

CM - Si Sanchanalai - Sukhothai - Kamphaeng Phet is 5 hours 50 minutes plus stopping time at the ruins. Be the most fun.

The next day Hua Hin.

• Thumbs Up 1

Try Suansin Garden Resort Hotel https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g668419-d2583462-Reviews-Suansin_Garden_Resort_Hotel-Tak_Tak_Province.html#/media/2583462/170495767:p/?albumid=101&type=0&category=101  for overnight roadside stay. I have never been myself but have referral from a reliable source that has been doing that trip for years because I always have the same question as you. Where is a good place to stay on that trip about half way.

Jsut call if you want to book room. Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

when I am driving to BKK , I always stop for lunch at at this exceptional Lanna restaurant in Thoen , some of the best food I have ever eaten .   Id be trying to get to Uthai Thani .... then getting up very early trying my best to avoid Rama 2

• Thumbs Up 1

We've made the drive many times and usually stop at Sukhothai to see the MiL or Phitsuanlok to see the niece at Uni. there. There's not a lot to see in Sukhuthai but Phitsuanlok is very nice plus the road to Pits. has wonderful scenery. Nakon Sawan was never a favorite, ditto Kamphang Phet. Nice hotel in Pits., the Imperial has been partially remodelled and is quite smart, excellent value at around 1,300 inc breakie.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dolf said:

I hated Phitsanulok. Grubby city with bad traffic and nothing to much to see. I thought KP was a nice city. So much more relaxed than Phits and Sukhothai is fairly nice as well.

I may be negatively prejudiced against Suk and KP having made the trip three times a year for the past 20 years with my MiL as the destination.

2 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I may be negatively prejudiced against Suk and KP having made the trip three times a year for the past 20 years with my MiL as the destination.

They are both fairly quiet places but thats why I liked them. Phits is more busy, similar to Korat but less interesting. Choosing a good hotel makes a difference plus if you find a nice restaurant.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, taninthai said:

Done trip a few times just done it last month ,,,try heading to this place I stayed here place is ok include breakfast 700 bht

then them roads will take you down to the west of bangkok 321 is one of the roads you head for.

This route is the way to go.  Avoid all the traffic around Bangkok.  Enjoy the quiet nice roads through farm country.  We went down to south this way last time and I won't be going the other way through Bangkok again.  We seem to stop in Nakhon Sawan every time we head south from Chiang Mai.  Easy town for one night.  Good burger at a place called Yolk in NS. 

• Thumbs Up 1

OP: why not eliminate all the stress of driving that distance (and the road between Bkk and HH is a nightmare) by just taking the direct Air Asia flight from CNX to HH?  Then hire a car while you are there or just use Grab, all very cheap.

And the air route may put years ON your life rather than the opposite you risk when you spend too much time on ANY Thai road.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If the OP stops in Sukhothai, there's an excellent pizza restaurant called Pizza Tao Fuun. downtown, next to the river. Seriously good quality food, the pizza makers learned their trade overseas. Easily found via google

• Like 1

13 hours ago, taninthai said:

Thanks for posting that, it looks like an excellent way to go.

15 hours ago, skorts said:

Looking to drive from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin. Hoping to avoid central Bangkok by going west of Bangkok. Any suggestions on the route and a place to stop overnight, about half way down, would be appreciated. Thank you. 

Ask Google 

12 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

OP: allow at least 4 hours from Bangkok to Hua Hin, construction, narrow lanes and traffic volumes are horrible, longer in rush hour.

Does that road outside the Bangkok still have construction on it 3 years later they've been building that road for the last 9 years still not finished.

Just now, arick said:

Does that road outside the Bangkok still have construction on it 3 years later they've been building that road for the last 9 years still not finished.

Yes, more than ever.

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Yes, more than ever.

They were building it in Rama 2 when I was working out assumption 7 years ago a U-turn.

A Canadian three  years ago died hitting the back on a cement truck.  Slabs of  cement have fallen on cars.  I was stuck in the traffic  for hours around rama 2.  Three years ago. Then just meet violent Thai drivers 

1 minute ago, arick said:

They were building it in Rama 2 when I was working out assumption 7 years ago a U-turn.

A Canadian three  years ago died hitting the back on a cement truck.  Slabs of  cement have fallen on cars.  I was stuck in the traffic  for hours around rama 2.  Three years ago. Then just meet violent Thai drivers 

The problem is the elevated rail line which is being extended West and South.

Train option?

If you take Special Express No. 10 that leaves Chiang Mai at 6:00pm in the evening of day one, and then catch Special Express No. 43 in Bangkok at 8:10am on the morning of day two, you will arrive in Hua Hin at 12:05pm. This is 18 hours after you have left Chiang Mai.

https://www.thaitrainguide.com/routes/chiang-mai-to-hua-hin/

Rent a car in HH or taxi around.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

It's difficult to beat driving if you want to keep costs down, which is a priority for many people. Plus conditions as far as Chai Nat at least, tend to range from OK to good. It's just that Chai Nat onwards can be tricky, plus the Bangkok to Hua Hin leg is a real nightmare. But the earlier posters detour above looks like a splendid alternative.

I am not sure that driving does indeed "keep costs down".  Staying at hotel overnight?  Various meals on way down? Possible death at any moment? Either from Thai driving or from sheer boredom.

Surely this fare is not over the top?:

Air Asia CNX-HHQ is $76 US.

https://www.airasia.com/flights/from-chiang-mai-cnx-to-hua-hin-hhq

• Like 2