Ethnic armies drafting/press-ganging recruits

I have a Burmese Shan friend, currently in Thailand, who told me she must either go back to Myanmar and serve five years with the Shan State army, or pay 300,000 baht to be exempted.  She served in the army when she was young, but is in her thirties now and in reasonable health but not GI Jane material.  If she does not pay or return life will become difficult for her family in Shan State.  More difficult actually, things are already difficult.

I realize this may be a scam (I've already told her I can't come up with that much money on short notice) but it might also be for real.  Does anyone have insight or experience with this sort of situation?

• 4 weeks later...

It's difficult to say, but the Myanmar army is going rounding people to join the army, between certain ages, I have a good Burmese friend but she's not here at the moment so I cant ask her, she's gone back home for a month she's beyond the age group I think sh'e about 40.

She told us last week how they are getting out of Myanmar they don't want to join the army.