E-Visa : Thai address on passport or address in my country?

Hi everyone,

I'm French with a French passport. I've completed the form and all the pieces required for asking a visa through the E-visa official website but I'm not sure what address to give.

For some reason, on my French passport, I've an address in Thailand with French friends. However, these friends have left Thailand few years ago.

While I pass all my time in Asia - my last trip to France was in 2017 - I've also an address in France, also with friends, where I receive my mail.

I'm really not sure the one I should give for the E-visa. What do you think.

Although I don't think it matters, the only cell phone number I have is a Thai number.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Why would any passport have a residential address of friends in Thailand like you say? I thought Passport normally has city of birth and city issued only?

As I understand it you can only apply for an e-visa in the country you are currently staying in, so it would be that address where you currently stay

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 1

Applying for an e-visa you are supposed to be in the country in which you are claiming to be, and might need to show travel confirmation from that location to Thailand as well as some proof of residency.

The e-visa system requires you to apply in your home country. You arent "allowed" to apply on the e-visa system in your home country while living in a different country. Passports dont typically have an address issue on them other than a page you write your contact info yourself. The e-visa system request you provide evidence of your residence, meaning where you live. A phone bill, bank statement, utility bill, drivers license, etc that shows the address where you live. For some reason the UK site accepts a copy of your data page from your passport but that isn't actually what they are asking for and officially does not prove where you reside it just proves your a citizen of that country. They also require you to provide copies of all the passport stamps for the prior year.  

4 minutes ago, Dan O said:

The e-visa system requires you to apply in your home country. You arent "allowed" to apply on the e-visa system in your home country while living in a different country. Passports dont typically have an address issue on them other than a page you write your contact info yourself. The e-visa system request you provide evidence of your residence, meaning where you live. A phone bill, bank statement, utility bill, drivers license, etc that shows the address where you live. For some reason the UK site accepts a copy of your data page from your passport but that isn't actually what they are asking for and officially does not prove where you reside it just proves your a citizen of that country. They also require you to provide copies of all the passport stamps for the prior year.  

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/158114/when-is-the-address-indicated-on-a-passport-being-used

Just now, Dan O said:

Never seen any passport with an address issued

Same, until I saw it in a topic here a few months ago. Wouldn't surprise me if that older post was created by the OP, there's something very familiar about the question.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Dan O said:

For some reason the UK site accepts a copy of your data page from your passport but that isn't actually what they are asking for and officially does not prove where you reside it just proves your a citizen of that country.

That is incorrect, the question relates to legal residence and a copy of you passport is the most definitive proof of legal residence. Other documents can be accepted as in the UK it is very difficult to get bank accounts or utility bills if you are not legally resident.

This is how it is put in the HK e-visa guidelines.

"Confirmation of legal residence, in the context of the Hong Kong SAR, generally refers to (a) Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (“A” HKID); (b) Hong Kong Identity Card indicating right to land (“R” HKID) or unconditional stay permit (“U” HKID); or (c) valid stay permit issued by Hong Kong Immigration (for “C” HKID holders)."

https://hongkong.thaiembassy.org/en/page/visa-info?menu=5d84804a15e39c03c800281e

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is incorrect, the question relates to legal residence and a copy of you passport is the most definitive proof of legal residence. Other documents can be accepted as in the UK it is very difficult to get bank accounts or utility bills if you are not legally resident.

This is how it is put in the HK e-visa guidelines.

"Confirmation of legal residence, in the context of the Hong Kong SAR, generally refers to (a) Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (“A” HKID); (b) Hong Kong Identity Card indicating right to land (“R” HKID) or unconditional stay permit (“U” HKID); or (c) valid stay permit issued by Hong Kong Immigration (for “C” HKID holders)."

https://hongkong.thaiembassy.org/en/page/visa-info?menu=5d84804a15e39c03c800281e

read the whole regs again you left out half of what it says. A passport and in this case the Identity card is a validation of citizenship and gives you the right to "legal abode" meaning they are required to let you enter and live in that country. Legal residence is where you live currently.

Edited by Dan O
spelling

55 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Why would any passport have a residential address of friends in Thailand like you say? I thought Passport normally has city of birth and city issued only?

As I understand it you can only apply for an e-visa in the country you are currently staying in, so it would be that address where you currently stay

Thank you for your comment.

French passport have and have always had your address.

The form ask for a home address. It's not inside the group TRAVEL DOCUMENT where you must complete information of your passport, it's in the group ADDRESS INFORMATION.

They also ask: "Is your permanent address same as your current address?" I'm in Korea, so I answered no and gave my actual address in Korea.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Never seen any passport with an address issued so this is news and I stand corrected. Its obviously a newer version of the passport. so in this instance the OP probably wont be able to use the e-visa system. 

You just never saw any French passport.

The first page of the e-visa system ask for your nationality and where you stay. So, I answered French and Korea and I passed.

OP? What is it?

Thank you for your comment BTW.

Edited by anotherfarangishere
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

You just never saw any French passport.

The first page of the e-visa system ask for your nationality and where you stay. So, I answered French and Korea and I passed.

OP? What is it?

Thank you for your comment BTW.

I already said I've never seen any passport with an address on it and stand corrected. TheE-visa site apparently has now changed and allow applications while not in Passport country, so I stand corrected on that as well.

But the OP can not apply on E-visa site if his passport does show he's living in Thailand. Thats clearly spelled out on the E-visa Site that you can not apply while in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Dan O said:

But the OP can not apply on E-visa site if his passport does show he's living in Thailand. Thats clearly spelled out on the E-visa Site that you can not apply while in Thailand.

My previous French passport had the same Thaï address and I got Visa or/and visa run without any problem outside Thailand (Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar...). Thai address on passport doesn't mean you're living in Thailand.

You can't apply for any kind of visa if you're physically in Thailand: the E-visa form is also asking you proof where you're staying.

44 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

My previous French passport had the same Thaï address and I got Visa or/and visa run without any problem outside Thailand (Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar...). Thai address on passport doesn't mean you're living in Thailand.

You can't apply for any kind of visa if you're physically in Thailand: the E-visa form is also asking you proof where you're staying.

Not sure what your trying to say. I said the exact same thing. If your passport shows your Thai address and you have to provide copies of your stamps which show your in Thailand you cant use the e-visa system.  If you can show your not in thaand thats different. Visa runs have nothing to do with evisa system 

16 hours ago, Dan O said:

Not sure what your trying to say. I said the exact same thing. If your passport shows your Thai address and you have to provide copies of your stamps which show your in Thailand you cant use the e-visa system.  If you can show your not in thaand thats different. Visa runs have nothing to do with evisa system 

One can only assume you have never applied for an e-visa.

I know for a fact that an e-visa can be obtained from UK whilst in Thailand, but it is not something that should be done.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

One can only assume you have never applied for an e-visa.

I know for a fact that an e-visa can be obtained from UK whilst in Thailand, but it is not something that should be done.

you assume incorrectly. I have applied for at least 6 e-visas from the USA since E visa came on line, so I do know how the process works. Yes they may have changed some things but the process is basically the same and the E visa site still clearly states you can not apply for a E visa while in Thailand. Now whether or not you gamed the system of they let it slide thru I dont know and dont care Im just stating my experience and what the site info says.  Have a good day

On 3/4/2024 at 11:30 AM, Dan O said:

read the whole regs again you left out half of what it says. A passport and in this case the Identity card is a validation of citizenship and gives you the right to "legal abode" meaning they are required to let you enter and live in that country. Legal residence is where you live currently.

You are wrong. The regulations are laid down by the MFA in Thailand and then translated for each country using the platform. Most of us are aware that translations cannot be taken literally and has to be read in the context intended.

The London Embassy puts the question in this way,

"12 . Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency."

The term "consular jurisdiction" sets the context for the question and the last sentence cannot be read in isolation. I appreciate that English may not be your native language.

My experience is with Non O marriage visas so I wouldn't be aware of how the question is posed for other visa types or countries.

It does not help anyone for you to be making definitive statements in a situation where the outcome is always going to be subjective.

The fact that you have "stood corrected" a couple of times says it all.

29 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong. The regulations are laid down by the MFA in Thailand and then translated for each country using the platform. Most of us are aware that translations cannot be taken literally and has to be read in the context intended.

The London Embassy puts the question in this way,

"12 . Applicant must apply for e-Visa via specific Embassy/Consulate conforming with his/her consular jurisdiction and residency. Applicant is required to upload document that can verify his/her current residency."

The term "consular jurisdiction" sets the context for the question and the last sentence cannot be read in isolation. I appreciate that English may not be your native language.

My experience is with Non O marriage visas so I wouldn't be aware of how the question is posed for other visa types or countries.

It does not help anyone for you to be making definitive statements in a situation where the outcome is always going to be subjective.

The fact that you have "stood corrected" a couple of times says it all.

English is my native language. Look up the word residency and check the meaning. Also look up what the purpose of a passport and what proof it provides and you will see it does not verify where you are a resident currently but what country you are a citizen off. It does guarantee you the right of abode meaning you are allowed to enter and exit the country and live in that country. Residency is where you are living not where you are a citizen  Trying using  your own advice about not taking a single sentence out of context. 

Consular jurisdiction is easiest explained like this. In the usa there  are 3 or 4 consular jurisdictions. You must apply at the consular jurisdiction assigned for where your residence is located. So for me my home is in Washington DC and if I apply for a visa I must apply in the Washington DC embassy and can not LA or Chicago 

As for standing corrected, I admit if I'm wrong, you may want to try it. 

Edited by Dan O
Spelling

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Again you have made a definitive statement based on assumption.

Thats not a definitive statement. I clearly said i don't know if you gamed the system or not.