Yellow fever vaccination

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum to ask. I'm thinking of spending a few weeks in Zanzibar Tanzania and I'm trying to find out whether I need to have proof of yellow fever vaccination or not. I've looked at the WHO site, everybody is referring to, and it seems that there is no need of YF vax proof to enter Tanzania but it's not clear to me what happens when I get back to bkk. Asked the airliner and said to ask the embassy which is always a drama to get in touch with and get info from. Maybe a long shot I know but I wonder if anyone in here had some info on the matter or knows a quick way to find out for sure. Thanks

IF you need it try any major seaport clinic or large hospital. Bumrungrad used to keep it.

Better to get it. I think Thai Immigration will expect it anyway if you return here from Africa,

Edited by nauseus

You don't need YF vaccine to enter Tanzania, but it's on WHO's list of at-risk-countries, so any country (which includes Thailand) that monitors YF can insist on proof of vaccination for entry for up to 1 year after you have been to Tanzania. 

If it is checked, it is usually done by the airline, and you will be denied boarding without it. I don't know whether Thailand routinely enforces it, but most countries that have the regulation clamp down hard and fast as soon as an outbreak is reported, even if they don't usually check.

The YF vaccine is licensed for a single dose now, so you only need one jab in a lifetime. If you have had it before, and you still have the official YF certificate, it is still valid even if it has an expiry date on it. 

Thai Travel Clinic & Medconsult both carry the Stamaril vaccine. If you do decide to get it, make sure you get the proper international YF certificate, not just a standard vaccination record. 

6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

You don't need YF vaccine to enter Tanzania, but it's on WHO's list of at-risk-countries, so any country (which includes Thailand) that monitors YF can insist on proof of vaccination for entry for up to 1 year after you have been to Tanzania. 

If it is checked, it is usually done by the airline, and you will be denied boarding without it. I don't know whether Thailand routinely enforces it, but most countries that have the regulation clamp down hard and fast as soon as an outbreak is reported, even if they don't usually check.

The YF vaccine is licensed for a single dose now, so you only need one jab in a lifetime. If you have had it before, and you still have the official YF certificate, it is still valid even if it has an expiry date on it. 

Thai Travel Clinic & Medconsult both carry the Stamaril vaccine. If you do decide to get it, make sure you get the proper international YF certificate, not just a standard vaccination record. 

That's good advice thanks!

You can get the Yellow Fever vaccination from a few places.

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/Knowledge/schedule-travel-vaccine.html

This place (Thai Travel Clinic) gives the vaccine and the Yellow Vaccine book which is what Thai Authorities 'may' look for, particularly when checking in for a return flight from an African nation. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, John207 said:

Thanks for you input too nauseus!

Worst vaccination I've ever had, I'd not go there rather than have that jab.

Sick as a dog for 24hrs after having it, my wife actually fainted during the injection.

As orhers have said, proof of YF vaccine  is required to enter Thailand (and most other countries) from Tanzania (and other YF risk areas). 

And since the reason it is required is that YF is endemic there, it would be prudent to get the vaccine prior to going. 

The Mahidol  Thai Travel Clinic is indeed  good source for this. Appointment can be made online.

The vaccine certificate is vslud gor lulife. 

Try to allow a week   or more between vaccination and departure since you may feel unwell (fever, aches and pains etc)  immediately after.