Availability of new M3 MacBook Air with Apple TH

DUS

Hi,

Does someone know from past experience how long before we can order new Apple products on Apple.com/th after they have been announced by Apple? I want to order the new M3 MacBook Air and whilst it is shown on the shop´s Thai website, it cannot be pre-ordered as of the time of writing this post. It can be pre-ordered on the US and a few European sites already. Should I expect a delay of more than 1 week before I can order it here in TH? 

Thank you!

DUS

The availability of products in Thailand is extremely difficult to predict. Historically it has varied between a couple of weeks and several months.

This has often been a blessing in disguise as the review sites have been able to get more in-depth information available before you are able to purchase. One of the rather critical points was the difference in number and capacity of ram chips, the M1 used smaller chips than the M2 this meant that for the lower end machines the M1 was better than the M2. This information was not available at realise time. So to gain the speed boost of the M2 chip you had to get the higher speck machine to get the parallel read write performance the M2 was capable of. 
This is a boost I appreciate everyday where the performance would have been hobbled with a lower ram machine.

• Like 1

Thank you @sometimewoodworker

I was/am hoping to get my hands on one before I go on a trip on 28 March but if need be (i.e. the M3 Air isn´t avail by then), I guess I will have check if I can use my mid-2012 one more time before retiring it for good. 🙂

12 minutes ago, DUS said:

Thank you @sometimewoodworker

I was/am hoping to get my hands on one before I go on a trip on 28 March but if need be (i.e. the M3 Air isn´t avail by then), I guess I will have check if I can use my mid-2012 one more time before retiring it for good. 🙂

The difference between m2 and m3 aren't huge.

• Like 1

The order date is not yet confirmed in Thailand as you know. The fastest way to obtain one will be by going to one of the two Apple stores in Bangkok, they will have supplies available for purchase as soon as they are released in Thailand. It isn’t certain that you will be able to get one on release day as it will depend on stock, you may be able to order one through the Apple website for immediate collection on release day

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I agree. The only issue I (seem to) have with it now is that they discontinued the M2 Air 15" and I would want to buy it in a configuration that I (at least so far) haven't seen anywhere being offered as "in stock" at other retailers. If I cannot use my 2012 I might consider the M3 Pro 14". But anyway, I'll see what will happen in the days/weeks ahead.

Thanks @ozimoron

6 minutes ago, DUS said:

I agree. The only issue I (seem to) have with it now is that they discontinued the M2 Air 15" and I would want to buy it in a configuration that I (at least so far) haven't seen anywhere being offered as "in stock" at other retailers. If I cannot use my 2012 I might consider the M3 Pro 14". But anyway, I'll see what will happen in the days/weeks ahead.

Thanks @ozimoron

Consider a mini with a portable monitor? Then later you can update the computer more cheaply. This configuration is also more flexible in my opinion. And lighter.

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Until the reviews come in with different specifications of machines this is rather hard to be definitive about, this is due, among other things, to ram configurations and power to drive a bigger display.

I don’t say that you are not correct for 2 specific machines but what is true for those may be rather different for 2 different machines, for an example the 512 M1 was very close to the 512 M2 due to 2 x 256 on the M1 and 1 x 512 on the M2 but compare the 512 M1 to the 1Gb M2 and the difference was very significant.

In any event the jump from a 2012 to any M series will be huge 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

For what it’s worth, I bought a new MacBook Air M3 from the Apple Thailand website a few weeks ago. I needed the US English keyboard. Anyway, it was shipped from China via the express service they use.  

2 hours ago, jas007 said:

For what it’s worth, I bought a new MacBook Air M3 from the Apple Thailand website a few weeks ago. I needed the US English keyboard. Anyway, it was shipped from China via the express service they use.  

@jas007 Are you happy with the machine? I'm in the market for the same model.

16 hours ago, george said:

@jas007 Are you happy with the machine? I'm in the market for the same model.

It seems fine to me. My old MacBook Air was from 2018, so this one seems like a big improvement.  My old unit is out of service (one of the recent software updates bricked it), so I had to do a recovery from the Cloud. But the Cloud won’t update everything these days. I had to reinstall apps and so on.  I guess that’s for security. I need to start using a local Time Machine backup now and then.

• Thanks 1