Woman Injured After Monkeys Snatch Her Bag With Food

1709862420_199679-tnamcot-768x433.jpg

LOPBURI, March 8 (TNA) — A woman was injured after ravenous monkeys attacked her for her plastic bag that full of food in the central province of Lopburi where the primates rule the streets and aggressively attack people for food.

The video clips from CCTV at a market in the provincial seat of Lopburi showed the fearless monkeys pull the food bag from Arikanta, the 37 years old woman, causing her to fall down to the street.

Ms Arikanta later said that she was returning home from the market on March 6 when they encountered with troop of monkeys.

Full story: Thai News Agency 2024-03-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

Woman wants to file police complaint against monkey business in Lop Buri

monkey.png

A 37-year-old woman was robbed of her shopping by macaque monkeys at a local market in Lop Buri’s Muang district on Wednesday.

Arikanta Kanjanasinmetha said she wants to file a complaint with the police against the two monkeys that attacked her from behind, causing her to fall over, “but I didn’t know how to file a police complaint when the attackers were monkeys. I told myself that it would be useless anyway,” she said.

She said she was walking back to her vehicle, after finishing food shopping for her dinner, when she was attacked from behind and fell face down.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-03-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Those monkeys and the majority in other places are vermin and should ALL be put down.

Sad, but we infest all their territories, seasonal fires, drought, no more space for monkeys to migrate, and naturally they go where the food is

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Those monkeys and the majority in other places are vermin and should ALL be put down.

Monkeys in a monkey house, time Lopburi sorted this out.

13 minutes ago, thesetat said:

You really do not know anything and make ridiculous comment regarding this OP. This is Lopburi where for as many years as I know in Thailand (+12) they have deliberately allowed the monkey population to grow simply for tourism. They fed them hordes of food and permitted them to freely go through the city. When covid hit and money was dried up the food they gave them was scarce especially when the monkey population had increased so much. The monkeys did the next logical think to spread out even more across the city in search of food. This has nothing to do with your comment. In the past year or 2 the city has been trying different approaches to reduce their population without success. Now the locals are getting their things stolen by them as well as tourists. The temple that hoarded them and made it a shrine for them also is suffering. The woman should sue the city for the attacks. The city should have had the monkeys relocated to the island they have reserved for this. But the monkeys were a tourist draw. SO nothing every was really done to stop their growth and brazen behavior. 

To be fair, it aint the monkeys fault, if my message was not clear enough for you. Enjoy your day sir

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

To be fair, it aint the monkeys fault, if my message was not clear enough for you. Enjoy your day sir

My comment did not place blame on the monkeys. 

• Like 1

This happened to me when I was working in India. They have a lot of monkeys everywhere. Like this woman, I was walking back to my apartment from a local open-aid market carrying a small bag of produce. A monkey snatched my bag and tore it open. I immediately turned around and moved toward him, stamping my foot on the ground. He looked up at me and snarled, bearing his teeth, so I just backed off and let him have the produce. 😦

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“but I didn’t know how to file a police complaint when the attackers were monkeys.

get their names and gather witnesses for court appearance, they will likely deny everything so your evidence is critical, it would also help if they have previous convictions for being not as dumb as you lol

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Hummin said:

Sad, but we infest all their territories, seasonal fires, drought, no more space for monkeys to migrate, and naturally they go where the food is

Partly true but some of the cities have been there longer than the monkeys.

The latest thought is to capture, sterilise the monkeys and release them. Eventually they will die out. However, as the average life span of a macaque monkey is about 25 years, all that will happen is nothing, and it will take about another 25 years to get resolved.

It is known as kicking the can down the road, so that it becomes somebody else's problem.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I've been there several times.  The Monkey population is out of control.  I don't advocate killing them, but something has to be done.  

14 hours ago, thesetat said:

You really do not know anything and make ridiculous comment regarding this OP. This is Lopburi where for as many years as I know in Thailand (+12) they have deliberately allowed the monkey population to grow simply for tourism. They fed them hordes of food and permitted them to freely go through the city. When covid hit and money was dried up the food they gave them was scarce especially when the monkey population had increased so much. The monkeys did the next logical think to spread out even more across the city in search of food. This has nothing to do with your comment. In the past year or 2 the city has been trying different approaches to reduce their population without success. Now the locals are getting their things stolen by them as well as tourists. The temple that hoarded them and made it a shrine for them also is suffering. The woman should sue the city for the attacks. The city should have had the monkeys relocated to the island they have reserved for this. But the monkeys were a tourist draw. SO nothing every was really done to stop their growth and brazen behavior. 

logic would suggest; decide what number is acceptable, control numbers with sterilisation and transfer excess animals to another suitable location. surely, it can;t be too difficult.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

logic would suggest; decide what number is acceptable, control numbers with sterilisation and transfer excess animals to another suitable location. surely, it can;t be too difficult.

Unless you live in the "suitable location" where the excess monkeys will be moved to. Why should your location be chosen to dump their problem on?