Moving services claim no liability for damage

SailingHome

Getting quoted form movers in case I must vacate. All of them have fairly standard limits on their liability ( who wouldn't if you can get away with it?_ At most one company will pay 25% of losses up to 2,500 THB. Whoopie. My theater and research machines are too expensive to purchase again and I never could find a "renter's insurance" company to cover items in the room. Anyone know where I can buy some short term converge?

Moved from Pattaya up north this week. 2 lorries used (one 10 wheeler with tail lift, the other much smaller). The larger lorry literally scratched, dented or broke almost everything. Pack things yourself. Use PLENTY of padding. It's almost unbelievable how much damage they have done to our things. They literally couldn't give a monkey's.

If you have the ability, load and unload the lorry yourself. Just use them to physically drive.

From speaking to others, it's the norm.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tenants' insurance is available from any number of insurers in Thailand, but you would need to take out an annual policy and it probably won't cover your property while it is being moved by the moving company.

If you have high-value items or specialized equipment that is difficult to repair or replace, you would probably have to declare them specifically on the application form. Insurers may or may not agree to cover them if they are very expensive or very difficult to repair or replace. 

Some of the more professional moving companies may have agreements with insurance companies to offer insurance to their customers for their goods being moved.

19 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Some of the more professional moving companies may have agreements with insurance companies to offer insurance to their customers for their goods being moved.

Please name a few - thanks. Moving myself later this year.

5 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Please name a few - thanks. Moving myself later this year.

I knew the people who ran Transpo back in the day. I think they sold the company some years ago and it is now called Asian Tigers. I am quite sure they offer insurance to their customers. I don't know which other companies do, but it is common practice for professional removals companies, both for local and international relocations.

Perhaps an internet search on "removals companies Thailand" or something similar would be of help. I apologize for not having more specific and up-to-date info as it has been many years since I arranged this type of insurance program for a removals company.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I knew the people who ran Transpo back in the day. I think they sold the company some years ago and it is now called Asian Tigers. I am quite sure they offer insurance to their customers. I don't know which other companies do, but it is common practice for professional removals companies, both for local and international relocations.

Perhaps an internet search on "removals companies Thailand" or something similar would be of help. I apologize for not having more specific and up-to-date info as it has been many years since I arranged this type of insurance program for a removals company.

Thanks - appreciated.

44 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

I used this company when I moved from Bangkok to Saigon some years ago, as well as for two local moves within Saigon. They were extremely professional with the packing and moving and unpacking. And they also have an option for insurance. You can find the details on their website at the following link:

https://www.santaferelo.com/en/your-thailand-moving-company/

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

I used this company when I moved from Bangkok to Saigon some years ago, as well as for two local moves within Saigon. They were extremely professional with the packing and moving and unpacking. And they also have an option for insurance. You can find the details on their website at the following link:

https://www.santaferelo.com/en/your-thailand-moving-company/

I too used Santa Fe from Saigon to Bangkok, and also got a recent quotation from them for a local move within the city (they now have a subsidiary called Sanelo for non-corporate moves). They offer insurance at a price of 1.5% of the declared value of the items, which is the same rate offered by JWD/JVK and Asian Tigers. All three of these companies provide excellent, professional service, but will likely be more expensive than local firms.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2024 at 3:22 PM, Woof999 said:

Moved from Pattaya up north this week. 2 lorries used (one 10 wheeler with tail lift, the other much smaller). The larger lorry literally scratched, dented or broke almost everything. Pack things yourself. Use PLENTY of padding. It's almost unbelievable how much damage they have done to our things. They literally couldn't give a monkey's.

If you have the ability, load and unload the lorry yourself. Just use them to physically drive.

From speaking to others, it's the norm.

I used Chiang Mai Removals 3 times for whole house moves here in Chiang Mai. All packed with lots of bubble wrap, boxes, padding in trucks, longest move about 12 Km. Nothing broken. Just my experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1