Return Ticket Within 30 Days Visa Exempt?

I plan to retire in Thailand, and bought a roundtrip ticket from Vietnam. (Visa exempt)

I'm flying in March 18, and return (though I won't use it) is dated April 18.

On my count, that's 31 days,  OR do you count the date you enter as the first day?

Thanks for any help 😉

Edited by mel2surf

Yep , If you arrive in Thailand on March 18, you should live on April 17 max. Change your Vietnam flight to 1 or 2 weeks before ... anyway you will not use it ... or buy another one. This "could" (or not) be a problem at Bangkok Immigration ...

Good luck

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, khunphil said:

Yep , If you arrive in Thailand on March 18, you should live on April 17 max. Change your Vietnam flight to 1 or 2 weeks before ... anyway you will not use it ... or buy another one. This "could" (or not) be a problem at Bangkok Immigration ...

Good luck

Uh oh ! Thanks

Edited by mel2surf

Be aware that when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at CM Immigration from your VisaExempt entry, that you would need to do the application when you have at least 21 days left on the Permission to stay you will receive from Border-Immigration on entry.  If that does not give you sufficent time to get hold of the required documents for such application, you can apply for a 30-day extension of stay at CM, which costs 1.900,- THB, is provided on the spot (you do need a TM-30 notiication with your address in CM province) and the 30 days will be added to your Permission to stay expiry date of 16 April. 

2 minutes ago, mel2surf said:

I plan to get it through Maneerat

Suggest you check with them how long it will take. 

Assume you have a Thai bank account in your name only 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Suggest you check with them how long it will take. 

Assume you have a Thai bank account in your name only 

From what I've gathered, around 3 weeks.

Dr Jack, Do you know if my return ticket for April 18 will be a problem? (March 18-April 18) Is it possible to just pay an overstay day fine or something?

Thanks

34 minutes ago, mel2surf said:

Do you know if my return ticket for April 18 will be a problem? (March 18-April 18) Is it possible to just pay an overstay day fine or something?

There is an outside chance it might be a problem at check-in in Vietnam if the airline staff are really awake.  

It is highly unlikely to be a problem at immigration as they rarely ask for onward flight details.  But they can of course, like they can also ask to see 20,000 baht cash and details of accommodation, but usually don't.  And no, you can't pay overstay in advance - chances are telling them your plans to convert and extend would get you over the line.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

There is an outside chance it might be a problem at check-in in Vietnam if the airline staff are really awake.  

It is highly unlikely to be a problem at immigration as they rarely ask for onward flight details.  But they can of course, like they can also ask to see 20,000 baht cash and details of accommodation, but usually don't.  And no, you can't pay overstay in advance - chances are telling them your plans to convert and extend would get you over the line.  

That sounds reasonable, thanks very much Upnotover!

I will explain that I plan to extend, and I will at least have a name of a place I plan to stay. Also, if asked, I will have some cash on hand. 😉

2 hours ago, mel2surf said:

From what I've gathered, around 3 weeks.

Dr Jack, Do you know if my return ticket for April 18 will be a problem? (March 18-April 18) Is it possible to just pay an overstay day fine or something?

Thanks

You have the correct answers from @Upnotover 

To add for peace of mind your only issue is with airline at departure (AirAsia?) 

The airline will check for onward flight. 

That should have been April 16. 

They may miss the day count. Explain to them that you intend to buy an extension to your 30 day visa e empty entry.

If it's an issue step away from check in and book a flight online flight. Takes a minute.

Or book with "onwardticket.com" $15usd

Obviously you require wifi. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You have the correct answers from @Upnotover 

To add for peace of mind your only issue is with airline at departure (AirAsia?) 

The airline will check for onward flight. 

That should have been April 16. 

They may miss the day count. Explain to them that you intend to buy an extension to your 30 day visa e empty entry.

If it's an issue step away from check in and book a flight online flight. Takes a minute.

Or book with "onwardticket.com" $15usd

Obviously you require wifi. 

Thanks Dr Jack!

• Thumbs Up 1