Address room # error on new thai D/L

Just my luck, I returned back from the DLT and the GF looks at my newly minted motorbike and auto licenses and tells me they the wrong room number 347 instead of 547 of the condo we stay at on the back of the license. Is this something I need to go back and correct it or something I shouldn't worry about.

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If you get any camera traffic infringements then you won't get them. But whoever lives in that room I suspect would tell condo reception. 

Not quite - the ‘fines’ get posted to the address the vehicle is registered at. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good point. My bad.

Edited by brianthainess

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s still your Driving License & registered under:

- your own Individual Driving License number 

- your passport number 

- Full Name 

- Photo 

The address part is hardly relevant. 

If the Thai DL is being used for proof of overseas address for a foreign bank's KYC formalities, having the correct address would be relevant.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If the Thai DL is being used for proof of overseas address for a foreign bank's KYC formalities, having the correct address would be relevant.

Thats a valid point... But how many Thai Banks accept a Thai Drivers Licence as proof of address ?

I know it happens and have read such on this forum, but I never had my Thai DL accepted as proof of address for anything which was one of the 'drivers' for getting the Yellow House Book / Pink ID...  (and no, enough Pink ID debate... no more pleeeeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeee !)

& theoretically, the Op has the Proof of ID document that was used for his Drivers Licence to open an account with etc (but that has limited validity with regards to time I think - 1 month or 3 ??)

I guess, if the Op want to do... it would be fairly effortless to get it right with his existing documentation. 

Thus: in hindsight, and in contradiction to my initial comment, it may be something thats just simpler to resolve now and avoid any unknown hassles down the line....  (if wishing to use the DL as proof of address for anything in the future). 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2024 at 12:14 PM, jwdub12 said:

Just my luck, I returned back from the DLT and the GF looks at my newly minted motorbike and auto licenses and tells me they the wrong room number 347 instead of 547 of the condo we stay at on the back of the license. Is this something I need to go back and correct it or something I shouldn't worry about.

That is a good question and here is my take on it first of all nobody cares let me explain the government makes the license right but despite this you still have to go to immigration for a residency certificate to do anything you can show your license to people but they don't care the address on the back it's pointless and ridiculous

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 12:14 PM, jwdub12 said:

I would get it fixed. I wouldn't necessarily run down there today unless its super convenient but do it soon. Its a easy fix for them. 

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

I would get it fixed. I wouldn't necessarily run down there today unless its super convenient but do it soon. Its a easy fix for them. 

It would be interesting to see how easily they deal with this issue...

a) Sure, will just print you a replacement. 

b) You'll need a police report, new proof of address, to book an appointment, to re-do tests ABC etc... 

Thailand is an enigma - I sometimes approach an issue here thinking its going to be a complete nightmare to deal with only to find out the an issue was resolvable within a few mins..    Then I sometimes approach a simple issue and a logical solution seems impossible !!!! 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/11/2024 at 12:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Yep, and that is found in the car registration book.

For speed traps: how could the camera find out that it is YOU at the wheel.

The car is caught and fine addressed to registration holder.

Checkpoints: that's a different matter.

Usually paid on the spot with a receipt.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

b) You'll need a police report, new proof of address, to book an appointment, to re-do tests ABC etc... 

Thailand is an enigma - I sometimes approach an issue here thinking its going to be a complete nightmare to deal with only to find out the an issue was resolvable within a few mins..    Then I sometimes approach a simple issue and a logical solution seems impossible !!!! 

That's pretty much my train of thought as well. If it was known to be as simple as showing up and the DLT would rectify the situation, I could consider it. But I can see your scenario b coming into play as along with having to shell out for a new set of licenses because it was my fault for being a farang 555.  

I will say though as I've been living in Thailand for over 12 years now I cannot think of one time when the address was ever looked at or even considered for anything.

Edited by jwdub12

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I doubt they require all those items. At worse they would just use a magic marker over the existing one and hand it back

• Haha 1

One thought that crossed my mind in regards to the validity of the address is that people are always moving residences.

I think it's rarely if ever do people update their Drivers Licenses accordingly

On 3/11/2024 at 10:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:
On 3/11/2024 at 2:55 PM, NanLaew said:

Thats a valid point... But how many Thai Banks accept a Thai Drivers Licence as proof of address ?

I don't know.

But at least one Thai finance company does.

From personal experience, getting corrections made to a Thai DL after it has been issued is possible and a nominal fee will be charged.

I had a 5-year Thai DL that was issued without an expiration date due to their error. I never noticed it and several police shakedown checkpoints commented but never suggested I should get that sorted out. However, a couple of car rental agencies refused to accept it so I got the DL reissued.

Edited by NanLaew