ARBs available in Thailand

I considered that since I was posting in a specific Health & Medicine forum, that those able to answer my inquiry would know exactly to what I was referring.

I do admit the acronyms of the hypertension world are just about as arcane as those of the IT industry what with ARBs, CCBs, ACEs and Beta Blockers, to barely scratch the surface.  

Also, I'm lazy and didn't want to type Angio Retention Blocker twice.

19 hours ago, dddave said:

Which Angio Retention Blockers are most easily available in Thailand?  Any inexpensive local generics?

Google didn't provide a lot of local information.

If you are staying any length of time may be worth seeing a cardiologist regarding ARB vs ACE.

When I came here I was on a beta blocker from the doctor in UK then the cardiologist here sugested I change to an ACE inhibitor.

Wouldn't know how the costs compare but the Anapril is only about 1 baht a tablet.

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/angiotensin-converting-enzyme-ace-inhibitors-angiotensin-receptor-blockers-arbs#:~:text=All ACE inhibitors and ARBs are considered equally effective.,This is not true.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 6:09 PM, Sheryl said:

Losartan is inexpensive here. I use GPO brand

Valasartan and irbesartan also here but cost more

Did you know that long term use of Losartan causes anemia ?

2 hours ago, superal said:

Did you know that long term use of Losartan causes anemia ?

It can do that in some people. Certainly does not happen in mist cases.

About 40% of users will have a small decrease in hemoglobin but usually not to the point of anemia unless hg levels were borderline to begin with. And in about 60%, no change at all.

This is not specific to losartan but rather all ARBs.

I have been on Losartan for about 20 years and am not anem8c. Neirher are most ARB users. But any who are (or become so) might do better to selwitch to a different vlass of antihypertensive. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It can do that in some people. Certainly does not happen in mist cases.

About 40% of users will have a small decrease in hemoglobin but usually not to the point of anemia unless hg levels were borderline to begin with. And in about 60%, no change at all.

This is not specific to losartan but rather all ARBs.

I have been on Losartan for about 20 years and am not anem8c. Neirher are most ARB users. But any who are (or become so) might do better to selwitch to a different vlass of antihypertensive. 

I have found out that I am anemic . I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy , both were OK . My mother was also anemic , without any known causes . I have been on Losartan for 15 years or more and now my doctor has given me hydrochlorothiazide 

or HCTZ 50 mg . I have not started them yet because Google says they can cause dizziness and I already have vertigo which I think comes with anemia .  Below an abstract 

A reduction in hemoglobin concentration in a patient who is receiving treatment for hypertension and does not have an obvious source of blood loss should account for potential antihypertensive therapy involvement.

My last blood test showed hemoglobin levels at 10.4 where anything below 11.9 for a male is considered low . My doctor thinks that my loss of balance may be caused by Losartan . I am now taking ferrous sulphate and a vitamin B complex . What are your thoughts on the HCTZ 50 mg ? Would you recommend another  medicine ?

11 minutes ago, superal said:

I have found out that I am anemic . I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy , both were OK . My mother was also anemic , without any known causes . I have been on Losartan for 15 years or more and now my doctor has given me hydrochlorothiazide 

or HCTZ 50 mg . I have not started them yet because Google says they can cause dizziness and I already have vertigo which I think comes with anemia .  Below an abstract 

A reduction in hemoglobin concentration in a patient who is receiving treatment for hypertension and does not have an obvious source of blood loss should account for potential antihypertensive therapy involvement.

My last blood test showed hemoglobin levels at 10.4 where anything below 11.9 for a male is considered low . My doctor thinks that my loss of balance may be caused by Losartan . I am now taking ferrous sulphate and a vitamin B complex . What are your thoughts on the HCTZ 50 mg ? Would you recommend another  medicine ?

The problem with HCTZ is the risk of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance...especially in this hot weather. You could try it but make sure to stay well hydrated and I'd suggest an electrolyte drink daily.

And need to have your electrolytes (sodium, potassium) checked periodically.

If potassium drops too low there are other diuretics that can be given.

Other possible treatments would be some if the older antihypertensives like aldomet and catapres. But try diuretic first.

Is your kidney function normal (creatnine, BUN)?

And have you seen a hematologist? Sometimes anemia is due to an inherited hemoglobinopathy. Might be worth seeing one to rule out other causes of anemia before assuming it is the losartan. 

All BP meds have dizziness as a potential side effect. Happens if BP drops too low and also dmsometimes if stand up too rapidly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The problem with HCTZ is the risk of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance...especially in this hot weather. You could try it but make sure to stay well hydrated and I'd suggest an electrolyte drink daily.

And need to have your electrolytes (sodium, potassium) checked periodically.

If potassium drops too low there are other diuretics that can be given.

Other possible treatments would be some if the older antihypertensives like aldomet and catapres. But try diuretic first.

Is your kidney function normal (creatnine, BUN)?

And have you seen a hematologist? Sometimes anemia is due to an inherited hemoglobinopathy. Might be worth seeing one to rule out other causes of anemia before assuming it is the losartan. 

All BP meds have dizziness as a potential side effect. Happens if BP drops too low and also dmsometimes if stand up too rapidly.

Many thanks Sheryl for your info .

I forgot to mention that reflux is a problem and I have been on Omeprazole for 15  years . I have read that it can reduce the intake of vitamins to your body because of stomach acid reduction . As regards BUN I cannot see that on my blood test results , however HCT was low at 34%  . My diasttolic b/p hovers around 60 and seldom hits 70 . Systolic ranges from 114 to 149 at rest . Today B/P was 129 / 63  . Doctor told me to have another blood test after 1 month on the iron tablets and vit B . I will start the HCTZ tomorrow morning after breakfast .

BUN and creatnine do not appear on the CBC report, would be on a biochemistry report. You should not start HCTZ without having had a BUN and creatnine check sometime in past year. These are tests of kidney function. Note that both hypertension and anemia are often associated with kidney disease.

Also still recommend at some point seeing a hematologist especially given the family history.

Can you share hte full CBC report? (MCV, MCHC etc)

I was originally prescribed Valsartan at the time of my by-pass surgery 7 years ago.  When Valsartan became temporarily unavailable in Thailand 5 years ago, I switched to Losartan and never switched back to Valsartan.  My BP has been pretty stable in the 115-125/70-80 range.

My reading told me that the main difference between the two was that Losartan had a lower duration than Valsartan, actually less than 24 hours.  It was often suggested to be taken twice daily but I never did that.

Your thoughts, Sheryl on the differences between the two?