Cambodian worker crushed by cement in crane accident

webfact

image.jpeg

A 28 year old Cambodian worker was crushed beneath a cascade of cement bags at approximately 10am today at a condominium construction site in Nonthaburi.

Upon arrival at the site in Sai Noi district, responders were met with a harrowing sight: the victim, identified as Cambodian worker Boonharn Cherm, lay motionless on the ground floor, her life cut short by injuries to her neck and chest. A preliminary investigation revealed the grim circumstances surrounding her death.

According to a statement provided to the police by a staff member, Boonharn had been engaged in the task of transporting 50-kilogramme bags of cement to a wooden pallet earmarked for lifting to the fourth floor by a crane truck. The operation, however, took a tragic turn when the pallet suddenly tilted, causing the cement-laden bags to plummet to the ground below, fatally crushing Boonharn in an instant. The crane truck driver, a 41 year old Cambodian man, fled the scene following the incident.

The victim’s husband, Kia Charoen, recounted the horrific ordeal. Having toiled alongside his wife at the construction site for approximately four months, he recounted how Boonharn had loaded five bags of cement onto the ill-fated pallet before it was hoisted into the air. As he waited on the fourth floor to receive the load, tragedy struck with unforgiving force as the pallet tilted, unleashing a torrent of cement bags that claimed his wife’s life, reported Bangkok Post.

As the investigation unfolds, authorities are pursuing leads to locate and apprehend the crane driver who fled the scene.

In related news, the site of the Chon Buri Provincial Administration Organisation was the scene of a construction mishap on February 12 as an 80-tonne crane dramatically overturned, causing severe damage to a parked pickup truck. The unfortunate incident occurred within the confines of an ongoing five-storey office building project, marking yesterday as a day of unexpected peril.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-13

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Media Power

• Sad 4

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

A 28 year old Cambodian worker was crushed beneath a cascade of cement bags at approximately 10am today at a condominium construction site in Nonthaburi.

Ok, as I am reading this at 09.38 am today, and the news was published about 10 minutes ago. Hmm... the only conclusion is that someone has about 22 minutes to live, before getting crushed by cement. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, as I am reading this at 09.38 am today, and the news was published about 10 minutes ago. Hmm... the only conclusion is that someone has about 22 minutes to live, before getting crushed by cement. 

The accident was reported by Thaiger yesterday. It appears as a cut'n'paste in Thaivisa today.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm always amazed that people like the crane driver runs away. 

Why?  Are they solely responsible for workplace accidents? Where do the construction companies' workplace responsibilities lie? 

Or do all responsibilities rest on the guy at the bottom of the 'food chain'  ie lowest paid worker. 

I expect construction place insurance is non existent or a joke. 

Sad really

1st safety rule of lifting heavy loads, tether the load with a rope to manage it from afar and do not enter the area directly under any load being lifted.

Edited by freeworld

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

I am sorry, but you do not have anything better to do, than to stalk me on every thread?

First, I do not know the people in question. Second, I am fairly sure that Cambodian migrant workers do not care much for Asean Now forum, which would make my condolences worthless and just looking good to people like you that feel the need to control what others should do, say or post.

Just finished the prep, now going to mix a bit of cement.........😉

4 hours ago, webfact said:

According to a statement provided to the police by a staff member, Boonharn had been engaged in the task of transporting 50-kilogramme bags of cement to a wooden pallet earmarked for lifting to the fourth floor by a crane truck. The operation, however, took a tragic turn when the pallet suddenly tilted, causing the cement-laden bags to plummet to the ground below, fatally crushing Boonharn in an instant. The crane truck driver, a 41 year old Cambodian man, fled the scene following the incident.

Say's it all.... 

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

This happened yesterday, as the Thaiger's original report states, it was written on 12th.

• Thanks 1