10 months in Thailand on visa exempt & extensions

This post here got me thinking, why hasn't anyone ever mentioned something like this strategy on this forum? 

On 3/13/2024 at 10:24 AM, impulse said:

That's good to know for someone who may have done a border bounce in October and another in December.  They can do another in January...  Meaning that, with extensions, they can stay 8 months without hopping on a flight (if they time it right).

That said, I wonder how the IO's would perceive that.

That's actually not a bad strategy that I never thought of before. You could really stay for a total of 10 months.

Arrive by air from your home country visa exempt in August, 30 day extend in September. 1st border bounce in October, 30 day extend in November. 2nd border bounce in December, 30 day extend in January. Now it's a new year so you have another 2 border bounces to use again. 1st border bounce in February, 30 day extend in March. 2nd border bounce in April, 30 day extend in May, which expires beginning of June.

Why has nobody ever mentioned this strategy on this forum? You could have 10 months in Thailand on visa exempts and extensions like this without any visa hassles!! Why even need to apply for a METV which would give you a maximum of 9 months but in reality it's closer to 8 months due to date of METV being issues, etc.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

omg breaking news

Hahaha.......well, I never thought of this strategy before or saw anyone post this strategy before.

• Haha 1

OK for those who enjoy travelling or live close to the border , not so good for those who don`t like waiting in immigration offices to do extensions . 

Still , very useful to know about as a back-up plan if the SETV doesn`t turn up in time for the flight .

You need to redo your maths calculations.

Using 2 VE entries in one calendar year + extensions would amount to a total stay of almost 4 months.
30 + 30 + 30 + 30.
Using 2 VE entries in the following calendar year + extensions would also total almost 4 months.

30 + 30 + 30 + 30.

Total 240 days, almost 8 months, not 10.

The METV could allow you to stay for almost 9 months in the same calendar year. There are also no limits to the number of land border entries using a valid multi entry visa.

Edited by Liquorice

6 hours ago, Liquorice said:

You need to redo your maths calculations.

Using 2 VE entries in one calendar year + extensions would amount to a total stay of almost 4 months.
30 + 30 + 30 + 30.

This "strategy" also includes the initial airport entry + extension, so there are the 2 missing months.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Why has nobody ever mentioned this strategy on this forum?

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating trying it on, unless you want to risk being one of those OPs who wonder why they got denied even though they're technically not breaking any rules.  Just pointing out that it's an interesting glitch in The Matrix.

Edit:  And I'm not sure I envy the guy who tries to explain what a "calendar year" is to an irate IO, especially since I don't have a Thai copy of the rules, nor do I know how "calendar year" even translates into Thai.  And I don't know which calendar they're referring to.  Isn't it 2567 in Thailand, and coming up on a New Year?

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

Indeed. You could even initially do first entry (airport) visa exempt followed by another prior to using land border entries.

Nonsensical thread with options well known.

Topic closed. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2