Severe summer storm to hit Thailand with hail and strong winds

webfact

image.jpeg

The Meteorological Department of Thailand (TMD) issued a severe weather alert for the upcoming summer storm, set to impact various provinces with heavy rain, thunderstorms, strong winds, and potential hail on March 19-20, following a drop in temperature today, March 18.

The summer storm, initially striking in the upper part of Thailand, is a result of a moderate high-pressure system from China extending over the region and the South China Sea. Concurrently, temperatures in the upper parts of the country are expected to rise significantly, creating conditions ripe for thunderstorms, strong gusty winds, and in some areas, hail.

Lightning strikes are also a potential hazard in certain localities. Following the storm, a noticeable temperature decrease is forecasted.

This weather pattern poses a variety of risks. The public in the affected areas is advised to be vigilant and take precautions such as avoiding open spaces, sheltering away from large trees, weak structures, and billboards, and maintaining good health due to the changing weather conditions.

Farmers are particularly urged to prepare for the storm, which could damage crops and livestock.

The provinces expected to be impacted on March 19 include: Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Sukhothai, Uttaradit, Kamphaeng Phet, Phitsanulok, Phichit, and Phetchabun in the Northern region; Loei, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Mukdahan, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Yasothon, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram, and Surin in the Northeastern region; Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Lopburi, Saraburi, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Suphan Buri, Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Sakhon, and Samut Songkhram in the Central region, including Bangkok and its vicinity; and Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi, and Trat in the Eastern region.

On March 20, the Northern provinces of Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phitsanulok, and Tak will be affected.

In the central region, the provinces include Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Chai Nat, Kanchanaburi, Suphan Buri, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Sakhon, and Samut Songkhram, while the Southern provinces of Phetchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan are also on the list.

Residents are encouraged to stay informed by monitoring updates from the TMD and visiting their website at http://www.tmd.go.th or calling 0-2399-4012-13 and 1182 for around-the-clock information. The department, which issued the alert on March 18 at 5am, plans to release further announcements later in the day at 5 pm, reported KhoaSod.

The alert comes as an important reminder for the population to prepare and stay safe during this turbulent weather period.

by Nattapong Westwood

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-18

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Please we need some rain...

Out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet by the Mae Wong national park, we have only had 13.1 mm of rain this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

We had 38.2mm in November and December combined.

In the whole of 2023 we had 740.2 mm. How about you.

Yet this stupid government and TAT next month want to waste billions of litres of water, literally down the drain for an extended Songkran.

Yes it's a waste of water but Thais waste so much water everyday. As for an extended Songkran it's only extended by a day this year.

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Yes it's a waste of water but Thais waste so much water everyday. As for an extended Songkran it's only extended by a day this year.

Very few Thais waste water in the rural countryside.

They know how precious it is.

4 hours ago, sherwood said:

We had a good wet season and yes Songkran is a money maker but it doesn't grow food.

The rains should come again soon.

I hope so.

I have 2 x 3,000 litre storage tanks for fresh rain water. One is just about empty. and the other is down to about 1,000 litres.

The good thing is that I managed to replace all the water pipes and taps in the cooler dry season. Now all we need is a couple of weeks of good rain to wash the roof and fill the tanks.

The bad thing is when it rains the blasted scrub grass grows like crazy, and at 79 it gets harder to cut down every year.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Very few Thais waste water in the rural countryside.

They know how precious it is.

Rubbish. Dripping taps everywhere. Bucket/bowl showers with lots of bowls. I shower (real shower) for a few minutes maybe a bit more. When it's hot I'll chuck a couple of bowls over the head just to cool down. Longer hot shower when it's cold cause I do like a hot shower when it's nippy in the morning. I lose count how many bowls the missus uses and the kid. Water may be precious but it's very cheap here.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Rubbish. Dripping taps everywhere. Bucket/bowl showers with lots of bowls. I shower (real shower) for a few minutes maybe a bit more. When it's hot I'll chuck a couple of bowls over the head just to cool down. Longer hot shower when it's cold cause I do like a hot shower when it's nippy in the morning. I lose count how many bowls the missus uses and the kid. Water may be precious but it's very cheap here.

Really?

And where do you live?

I have lived in rural Kamphaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong national park for 20 years, and I have logged the weather reports for most of that time, but I lost all my records before 2016 when my pc crashed and died.

How long have you been keeping records?

4 years ago the drought at this time of the year was so bad three water tanker/fire trucks were out 6 days a week delivering water to outlying villages that had none.

Fortunately our group of villages got connected to their main supply about 3 years ago but even now the main water supply is shut off during daylight hours.

You can walk across the klong over the road in a lot of places at the moment, and not get your feet wet. In 2011. the klong was 25 metres wide in places and nearly 4 metres deep at the bridge. Also in 2011 the klong in the big village was about 250 metres wide and flooded the village crossroads for about 100 or more metres each way.