Can I get a single entry at Savannakhet and then apply for 1 year at local imm office?

I have a Thai wife... Can I get a single entry at Savannakhet and then apply for a 1 year Non-O visa at local imm office?
I don't have the funds ready right now, but need to get a non-o visa. I've run out of tourist passes. Long story...

But basically...
Can I get the 90 day based on marriage at Savannakhet, then apply for a marriage visa locally?

Bonus question (congratulations!) : can I also get the 60 day extension (permission to stay, to visit thai wife) and apply for the marriage visa whilst staying in Thailand on that? Gives me a bit more time to get the funds sorted. (Am busy selling assets in other countries)

Thank you

Edited by whattheheck

You are slightly confused.

The single entry you refer to is actually a Non O based on marriage. 

That gives you a 90 day stamp.

In last 30 days with minimum 15 days remaining on stamp you can apply for 12 month extension.

Yes you can apply for 60 day extension to visit wife.

You do not need to obtain Non O in Savannahket,  you can enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain the Non O at your local immigration office.

Does your country provide "income letter" you could use income method instead of money in bank method. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You do not need to obtain Non O in Savannahket,  you can enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain the Non O at your local immigration office

What about the financial requirements for converting to a single non-O (Marriage) in country?

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

What about the financial requirements for converting to a single non-O (Marriage) in country?

Depends how long he needs to have money in place. 

He is aware of the 60 day extension to visit wife and assume aware of 30 day extension to visa exempt entry. 

If he plans to obtain both of those extensions he should do the 30 day first.

Single entry from Savannahket starting to sound good.

Not clear if his embassy provides income letter. 

I would like to come in on this about myself if that is okay?

I live in Surin on a OA Retirement Visa

Can I make a land border crossing at Chong Chom into Cambodia without a re entry permit?

Then come back into Thailand and to the local Thai immigration Office to apply for a Non O Retirement visa?

And use a letter of income from my embassy ( NZ )

1 hour ago, Deerculler said:

I would like to come in on this about myself if that is okay?

Can I make a land border crossing at Chong Chom into Cambodia without a re entry permit?

Then come back into Thailand and to the local Thai immigration Office to apply for a Non O Retirement visa?

This is one of those questions when it's important to understand the difference between a 'visa' and a 'permit of stay', commonly referred to as an extension.

You may have entered Thailand on a valid Non Imm O-A visa and have since been extending your 'permission of stay'.
Your O-A visa expired on the 'enter before date.

So yes, the answer to your question is if you have a 1-year extension of permission to stay (as I suspect) from your local Immigration office in Thailand, then if you leave Thailand without a re-entry permit that will immediately cancel your permission of stay.

You can then re-enter VE (visa exempt) and immediately apply for the conversion to Non Imm (O) at Immigration.

VE-TV to Non O Retirement.pdf 
That will grant you a stay of a further 90 days, then within the last 30 days of that 90 days, once again apply to extend your stay for 1 year based on retirement.

You will also rid yourself of the requirement for the compulsory 3M BHT Health Insurance for any future extensions, following that procedure.

If you actually had a valid Non Imm O-A visa, the answer would be totally different.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just to clear....

Has the actual non O-A visa expired? 

I assumed that to be the case, Jack, as he mentioned leaving without a 're-entry' permit.
If he had a valid 0-A visa, which is multi entry, mentioning a 're-entry' permit would be a moot point.

• Thumbs Up 1

would like to come in on this about myself if that is okay?

18 months ago I followed that exact route to change from OA visa to O using chong chom border run but I was denied the initial 90 day at roiet immigration and advised to go to savannakhet which I did without any problems ,roiet then gave me the 12 months extension again no problems so the moral is ask your local IO if they will oblige before you go and save yourself money and anxiety,hope it works out for you.

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 8:05 AM, DrJack54 said:

You are slightly confused.

The single entry you refer to is actually a Non O based on marriage. 

That gives you a 90 day stamp.

In last 30 days with minimum 15 days remaining on stamp you can apply for 12 month extension.

Yes you can apply for 60 day extension to visit wife.

You do not need to obtain Non O in Savannahket,  you can enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain the Non O at your local immigration office.

Does your country provide "income letter" you could use income method instead of money in bank method. 

Yes by "single entry", I was referring to the "Single entry Non O based on marriage". Not the 1 year "Multi entry Non O based on marriage".

I don't have the funds seasoned and ready to get this inside of the country right now, hence going to Savannakhet. I can not re-enter on tourist visa or exempt, I have been pulled aside by immigration for using too many of these recently.

We can get a 60 day extension on the "Single-entry Non O based on marriage" for "visiting Thai spouse"

My question is, can I get the one year "Non O based on marriage" extension whilst I am here on the 60 day extension to visit Thai spouse?

The reason for doing this is to give me more time to sell assets and season the funds in a Thai account for the "Non O based on marriage" at a local immigration office inside of Thailand. I have been to Savannakhet and gotten the "Single entry Non O based on marriage" already, in preparation for this. I'm just double checking that I haven't missed something, and that this is possible.

Hope that is clearer, thank you

Edited by whattheheck

4 hours ago, whattheheck said:

We can get a 60 day extension on the "Single-entry Non O based on marriage" for "visiting Thai spouse"

My question is, can I get the one year "Non O based on marriage" extension whilst I am here on the 60 day extension to visit Thai spouse?

The 60 day you refer to is not a non O.

It's an extension.

You could enter Thailand with a single entry non O marriage.

That will provide a 90 day stamp.

Prior to the expiry of that stamp you apply for 60 day extension to visit wife.

Prior to expiry of that 60 you apply for 12 month extension.

You need 400k in bank for 2 months prior to date of application for the extension 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 2:12 AM, DrJack54 said:

It's an extension.

You need 400k in bank for 2 months prior to date of application for the extension 

Thank you, that's what I was hoping, and trying to say in the OP.

Can I get the 90 day based on marriage at Savannakhet, then apply for a marriage visa locally?

Can I also get the 60 day extension (permission to stay, to visit thai wife) and apply for the marriage visa  *1 year extension* whilst staying in Thailand on that?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 2:12 AM, DrJack54 said:

It's an extension.

The '60 day' he mentions, he specifically describes as an extension, he never mentions it as being a non O, not even in the quote you type under, misrepresenting his words, he correctly refers to it as an extension in that quote in relationship to the Non O visa single entry, which he correctly attributes the correct nomenclature to it.

He states,

"We can get a 60 day *extension* on the "Single-entry Non O based on marriage" for "visiting Thai spouse"

He then asks,

"My question is, can I get the one year "Non O based on marriage" extension whilst I am here on the 60 day extension to visit Thai spouse?"

To which your answer should be, yes, (as mine would be because ive done this countless times) though you choose quite consciously, like many asean now cave dwellers on here, the high pompous road, through your explanation of repeating back to him what he asked of you. Yet, with the incorrect assertion you made, that he, not you, had confused and conflated wrongly the extension and the non O.

He does indeed state 1 year extension with the parenthesis of relating it to the visa it is associated with, and instead of using brackets he uses quotation marks, but again thats not your quibble, its something to do with 60 days something or other...??..? Which clearly is an aberration of your mind, rather than real world events recorded that we minions under your rule can observe.

Extensions are relative to their visa types, how do i know this, ive done many in almost 20 years ive been here and ive heard many authorities in immigration use this description of them, not least on their websites and because even they themselves get it wrong as professionals in the field. Where extensions are described, exactly as this gentleman had done so, with relationship to its visa that one is extending the permission of stay based upon, that criteria for applying for how it is regulated and what criteria must be presented.

Eg. Can i get an extension relating to my visa non O that i would be applying for if instead i use business visa criteria? No. They are different. Ergo, the need for specificity in description of the relevant visa one wishes to extend, in asking a question about its constituent extension. 

Which by any young persons eyes and acuity, like my own, could tell, seems to be this constant attempt by many 'long standing members' on here to tell those seeking reasonable advice on state regulated obfuscated rules of law, the difference between a visa, an extension, and on, so much so, you see things that arent even there, just so you can point them out in your self appointed post no one cares for.

You and many other high priests on here, (unlike other gentleman dearly missed) get push back and scorn all the time for this irreverant behaviour, and yet, you persist, and we should not be surprised, as you well know, you cant teach an old... farang civil restraint when scoring vacuous points on a forum they hold court in, its far more approriate to this ignominious old /new gaurd protecting the sacred secrets of immigration nomenclature regarding visas and extensions from unholy exageration or misuse... as if it matters, or has ever mattered 1 bit.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, benlovesnuk said:

The '60 day' he mentions, he specifically describes as an extension, he never mentions it as being a non O, not even in the quote you type under, misrepresenting his words, he correctly refers to it as an extension in that quote in relationship to the Non O visa single entry, which he correctly attributes the correct nomenclature to it.

He states,

"We can get a 60 day *extension* on the "Single-entry Non O based on marriage" for "visiting Thai spouse"

He then asks,

"My question is, can I get the one year "Non O based on marriage" extension whilst I am here on the 60 day extension to visit Thai spouse?"

To which your answer should be, yes, (as mine would be because ive done this countless times) though you choose quite consciously, like many asean now cave dwellers on here, the high pompous road, through your explanation of repeating back to him what he asked of you. Yet, with the incorrect assertion you made, that he, not you, had confused and conflated wrongly the extension and the non O.

He does indeed state 1 year extension with the parenthesis of relating it to the visa it is associated with, and instead of using brackets he uses quotation marks, but again thats not your quibble, its something to do with 60 days something or other...??..? Which clearly is an aberration of your mind, rather than real world events recorded that we minions under your rule can observe.

Extensions are relative to their visa types, how do i know this, ive done many in almost 20 years ive been here and ive heard many authorities in immigration use this description of them, not least on their websites and because even they themselves get it wrong as professionals in the field. Where extensions are described, exactly as this gentleman had done so, with relationship to its visa that one is extending the permission of stay based upon, that criteria for applying for how it is regulated and what criteria must be presented.

Eg. Can i get an extension relating to my visa non O that i would be applying for if instead i use business visa criteria? No. They are different. Ergo, the need for specificity in description of the relevant visa one wishes to extend, in asking a question about its constituent extension. 

Which by any young persons eyes and acuity, like my own, could tell, seems to be this constant attempt by many 'long standing members' on here to tell those seeking reasonable advice on state regulated obfuscated rules of law, the difference between a visa, an extension, and on, so much so, you see things that arent even there, just so you can point them out in your self appointed post no one cares for.

You and many other high priests on here, (unlike other gentleman dearly missed) get push back and scorn all the time for this irreverant behaviour, and yet, you persist, and we should not be surprised, as you well know, you cant teach an old... farang civil restraint when scoring vacuous points on a forum they hold court in, its far more approriate to this ignominious old /new gaurd protecting the sacred secrets of immigration nomenclature regarding visas and extensions from unholy exageration or misuse... as if it matters, or has ever mattered 1 bit.

Ridiculous rant.

Too many errors to correct.

From the OP to my post...

"Thank you, that's what I was hoping, and trying to say in the OP." 

Post advice to OP rather than rant.