Posted (edited)

I had to raid my 400k savings account for medical expenses and now I’m exploring alternate Thai marriage extensions of stay options for 2024.

Plan B using 40k per month has failed. Transferring money to Bangkok Bank from the US via ‘transfer’Wise does not count as importing money from a foreign country.

Plan C is a trip to Savannakhet. However I just learned that now this consulate also demands a bank account of 400k. In desperation I plan to go there and apply for a 90 day visiting family visa.

I realize that now my primary focus on Savannakhet is no longer valid. Do any Thai consulates in Vietnam offer the superlative advantages of Savannakhet?

Is Penang, Malaysia a good option?

Edited by RealityPivots

7 minutes ago, RealityPivots said:

I had to use my 400k for medical expenses.

Have you previously obtained a 60 day extension to visit wife? 

If not you could obtain that.

Financials not requured

24 minutes ago, RealityPivots said:

Transferring money to Bangkok Bank from the US via ‘transfer’Wise does not count as importing money from a foreign country.

That puzzles me as a lot of expats use Wise to transfer overseas funds as proof.

As I am learning...things change. When we asked Bangkok Bank to print out a yearly summary of my deposits into my checking account, the first deposit listed, one year ago, registered as a foreign deposit. Subsequent deposits, flowing into my account showed as coming from Krasikorn Bank. Was this a result of a change of routine by Wise??? They have promoted changes that lowered fees but I don't know the details. My wife talked to both bank's officials and they were adamant that current Wise behavior means that the deposits are now inter-Thailand-bank deposits, which tallies with my understanding of how Wise innately uses an information exchange to transmit a dollar figure in the US into a Baht figure in Thailand. I would like to pursue this further but my wife INSISTS that I now transfer direct from bank of America account into my Bangkok Bank account. Increased costs and time of travel but I can't really complain since my economy attempt has led to a huge hassle

To Dr. Jack 54:

My record indicates that I have used a 60 day extersion back in 2019 when I made a trip to the US. I did travel then but I used a re-entry permit. I didn't realize it would register as 60 day estension. Surprise!