Is the land border crossing at Mae Sai/Tachileik currently open for non-Thai/Burmese folks?

Absolutely not. It's been closed since June and odds are it will be many a month before it opens to foreigners.

If it's a visa run you are looking at then Laos is the destination of choice. Chiang Khong is 90 minutes east of Mae Sai. Flights to Rangoon from Chiang Mai if you are looking to visit.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Absolutely not. It's been closed since June and odds are it will be many a month before it opens to foreigners.

thanks, out of curiosity, why was it closed last June?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The border is open for Burmese citizens 

Why were two posters sad ?

The question wasn't clear as to whether the O.P meant  "open for non-Thai/Burmese citizens?" or open for  open* for non-Thai/ non Burmese citizens?*

The question wasn't clear as to whether he meant Burmese citizens or non Burmese citizens 

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The question wasn't clear as to whether the O.P meant  "open for non-Thai/Burmese citizens?" or open for  open* for non-Thai/ non Burmese citizens?*

Sorry, I meant open for individuals who are neither Thai citizens (or residents in Thailand) nor Burmese citizens (or residents in Myanmar).

Edited by user70

Bugger,  that use to be my favourite crossing when I was living in Chiang Mai.  Back in the day of visa runs. 

Duty Free Dark Rum was a bonus of the crossing. But I did notice/taste that more and more of it was becoming fake. 

Found Lao Duty Free to be twice the price of what could be bought locally in Vientiane.  Go figure! 

• Agree 2