Thai lawyer uncovers police-linked bribery network

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A recent revelation has shaken the Thai law enforcement scene as a lawyer uncovered a gang, allegedly linked to the police, involved in an extensive bribery racket. The racket reportedly amasses over 100 million baht each month through illicit kickbacks.

Ohhhhh the image... still intact... we know they're bent.

These amount of these monthly or weekly payments to the Police or amazing I guess if you were corrupt cop, you get take your family to the UK for vacation while you’re being investigated, correct TIT

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

That it's happening, or that someone is reporting it, complete with the receipts?

I wonder what the betting line is on his surviving through Songkran?

Any sort of physical retribution as you suggest is unlikely. It is now in the open. Had it not been disclosed then there may be a possibility of what you suggest.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In his address, Sittra affirmed that his exposé of the alleged bribery was not influenced by personal gain or hidden motives.

He stated, “I only want to tell the public about the matter despite knowing that I may be in danger.”

So what is his agenda? To get "disappeared"? Brave or foolish I'm not sure which. I hope he has a good network of safe houses.

Maybe something good comes out of his "revelation". I expect not though.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Any sort of physical retribution as you suggest is unlikely. It is now in the open. Had it not been disclosed then there may be a possibility of what you suggest.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Hired hitman at arms length. Hitman disappears with no paper or electonic trail. Case not long ago exactly like this. Can't remember details but was on this forum.

• Agree 1

He stated, “I only want to tell the public about the matter despite knowing that I may be in danger.”

There is the under statement of the year. There is a body bag with his name on it.

• Agree 1

No doubt this is accurate information, the thing that people have to accept is that it's a pyramid scheme and it goes all the way to the top, so big joke, the national police chief and all the top brass are involved. It would be a spectacular outcome if somehow, some of them ended up serving time in the big house. They certainly deserve that, and it would be an especially great result if somehow those billions and billions of baht that they've parked overseas could be recovered. 

Of course I am only dreaming, and a result like this could never happen in the nation so riddled with corruption, that elections are routinely stolen, and the toxic filth simply becomes a way of life. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Hired hitman at arms length. Hitman disappears with no paper or electonic trail. Case not long ago exactly like this. Can't remember details but was on this forum.

Agreed it is possible but more likely efforts to obfuscate the details is more likely

On 3/27/2024 at 3:15 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A recent revelation has shaken the Thai law enforcement scene as a lawyer uncovered a gang, allegedly linked to the police, involved in an extensive bribery racket. The racket reportedly amasses over 100 million baht each month through illicit kickbacks.

Sittra Biabungkerd, serving as secretary to the People’s Lawyers Foundation, brought this issue to light in a press conference held yesterday, March 26. Sittra, armed with substantial evidence including bank transfer slips, money trails, and video footage, claimed the existence of a bribery network with a deep-rooted police connection.

According to Sittra, no less than three police officers are suspected of being involved with this notorious gang. He further alleged that several police units had been accepting kickbacks from various illegal businesses. These businesses range from illicit online gambling sites to unlawful loan sharks.

Sittra went on to detail the operation of the gang, stating that they would gather bribes from all over the country and deposit them into multiple bank accounts. Notably, some of these accounts reportedly belong to a senior police officer’s relatives. The monthly kickbacks are presumed to exceed 100 million baht (US$3 million).

In his address, Sittra affirmed that his exposé of the alleged bribery was not influenced by personal gain or hidden motives.

Further in the press conference, Sittra had a phone conversation with Police Major General Jaroonkiat Pankaew, deputy commander of the Central Investigation Bureau. Sittra disclosed his intent to lodge a police complaint against the individuals implicated in the gang by tomorrow, March 28, reported Bangkok Post.

Despite the potential risks, Sittra remains committed to bringing this corruption to light, promising a riveting development in Thai law enforcement integrity.

In related news, Justice Minister Tawee Sodsong stepped forward to support the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) as it investigates accusations of bribery and human trafficking levelled against two previous Cabinet ministers and two high-ranking officials involved in the supply of Thai labour to Finland.

by Mitch Connor

Picture courtesy of komchadluek

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-27

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

Never ceases to amaze me when the general of your manor is rolling round in a green lambo with some cute little honey pot beside him, Gord bless the RTP 

• Haha 1