First retirement extension at CW

Will attempt my first ever retirement extension in a few weeks time, currently in on a non-O.  Afternoon appointment at CW confirmed already.  I'm OK with the paperwork requirement I think, the only question I have is about the bank documents.  The 800k has been there for over 2 months already, so if I go to Kasikorn downstairs on the morning of the appointment I need the standard letter and a statement - 2 months or will they ask for more?  And will the bank easily produce these there and then - or will it take some hours?  And finally, the update of the account passbook (small deposit) on the day - should that be done before or after requesting the bank documents?

Any other potential hoops through which to jump?

My last visit to Kbank at CW, may 2023.

On entering and asking welcoming staff member for bank letter and statement, I was asked to provide passbook and 100 baht,this was taken to a teller who returned the book which showed deposit and update. At the same time I was given a queue number for letter and statement processing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kasikorn can produce a one year statement while you wait for the same 100 baht price as a shorter one, so you might as well get the longer version just to be on the safe side. And in my experience, it shouldn't matter whether you update the bank book before or after the letter is issued (since you're actually allowed to get the letter up to seven days before the appointment).

• Thanks 1

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about Thai Banks or their products and will be entering Thailand with my Non-Immigrant O next week and so have no experience with the process that follows.

I'm always see mention of "accounts" in relation to the 800k Baht requirement. My thought would

be to open a Thai CD or Term Deposit for that money and keep it separate and apart from money I'd use for everyday living expenses. Do the banks offer Time Deposits with some minimal amount of interest? Or is that just not how things work? 

36 minutes ago, Richard5 said:

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about Thai Banks or their products and will be entering Thailand with my Non-Immigrant O next week and so have no experience with the process that follows.

I'm always see mention of "accounts" in relation to the 800k Baht requirement. My thought would

be to open a Thai CD or Term Deposit for that money and keep it separate and apart from money I'd use for everyday living expenses. Do the banks offer Time Deposits with some minimal amount of interest? Or is that just not how things work? 

The basic account for day to day use is a "Savings Account".  This offers very low interest but deposits and withdrawals can be made without limitation.  Alongside this account you can open a "Fixed Deposit Account" which offers a higher interest rate based on keeping the principal amount in place for the agreed period.  Withdrawals can be made but interest will then be reduced to the very low Savings Account rate.  The 800k you move in should go into whichever account you are going to show at immigration in order that it is clearly seen as a foreign transaction.  They main thing for immigration is that the funds are immediately available to you.  

To open an account you should be OK with your non-O visa.  I was also recently asked for a copy of my apartment rental contract in order to open a new account.  Your experience will vary depending on many things; bank, branch, staff member, phase of moon, etc.  The main banks websites are pretty clear and give all the information needed about their products.

At least here in Chiangmai, the bank letter showing the current amount is required to show the exact same amount as your bank passbook at the time of application.....so, at least here in CM, you'd need to do your update (small deposit) first and not after the bank letter is issued.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Upnotover said:

...The 800k you move in should go into whichever account you are going to show at immigration in order that it is clearly seen as a foreign transaction...

I discovered this Chaeng Wattana requirement recently when they handed me their "list of requirements". As a person who worked and lived in Thailand for 19 years, how on God's Earth can an upstanding Thailand contributor meet this rule? I understand why it is there, but good, honest people are getting hurt by it. While some have said, "Just talk to the officer", others have said, "Send the money out of Thailand, then back in again." The rule is the rule. Good luck with your renewal.