Chiang Mai Air today

rexpotter

16 minutes ago, Dolf said:

1780 AQI last year?

Actually I was using "visibility" as a measure - when I landed this time last year I could barely see to the edge of the runway, let alone  Doi Suthep itself - most days the mountains are clear so visibility ten times greater.

Went to CM today.  I've seen it much worse although it is bad.  Lamphun is much better. I love the way that the AQI is averaged out to make it look not so bad when there are readings out there in the 300s.  But "Shhhh" dont' say anything.  It might affect tourism.  In the meanwhile Big Ag gets a pass and villagers keep burning the forests down to clear out underbrush in order to collect mushroom when the rain beings. A token villager or two gets arrest and a hand-slap.  Wash, rinse, repeat forever.  Given the plans to increase sugar cane production for ethanol it will only get worse.  In the meanwhile certain high ranking officials jet-set to cleaner air elsewhere on the globe.

"Sucks to be you commoners." 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Actually I was using "visibility" as a measure - when I landed this time last year I could barely see to the edge of the runway, let alone  Doi Suthep itself - most days the mountains are clear so visibility ten times greater.

You have to look at the stats

On this subject, there was a BBC Radio report broadcast this week.  The reporter interviewed a doctor from the area who stated that the number of deaths from lung cancer where the deceased had never been a smoker was up 40% and he put the blame squarely on local burning of agricultural waste/forest fires.

Another couple of interesting points from the programme was that farmers can legally burn their crop waste but they have to apply to do so on a special app. The story went that farmers can apply to burn but will only be given permission when air quality is not bad. One farmer they visited whilst he was burning said he had permission - this was recently when the air quality was really bad.  Either he was lying or that system isn't working

And........ apparently a lot of the smoke and thus, poor air quality is caused by forest fires in what the local officials called 'revenge burning' - done by locals who unhappy with being stopped from burning crop waste.

• Confused 1