Plastic in Food

4 minutes ago, ericbj said:

Those purchasing take-away roti etc from market stalls BEWARE !  It is said that expanded polystyrene is

sometimes dissolved in the cooking oil to make the roti remain crisp.
https://greenmedinfo.com/content/nanoplastics-our-bloodstream-silent-contributor-heart-disease

Banned where I live amongst straws and coffee cups and plastic bags 

45 minutes ago, ericbj said:

Those purchasing take-away roti etc from market stalls BEWARE !  It is said that expanded polystyrene is

https://greenmedinfo.com/content/nanoplastics-our-bloodstream-silent-contributor-heart-disease

Don't know where you buy your roti, but our vendor bought roti, whether desert or side dish, is always served on some type of paper, never direct contact on any plastic/styrofoam container. 

"Dissolved in cooking oil"  ... what orifice did you pull that from, as cooking oil, isn't mentioned at all in the study.  Also no mention of 'expanded'  polystyrene.

Did you read the study ?  Or just the headline.

From the link:  "In this research, PS NPs with a diameter of 100 nanometers were used to simulate nanoplastic exposure."

Another lets take a guess and come up with results we like.   Also, I noted, there is no mention of roti/food contamination from contact with.   Just the waste products of, may get into the environment.

Edited by KhunLA

14 hours ago, ericbj said:

Don't worry, there is already so much micro plastic in our food, fish, meat, water. Don't be scared but brave 🙏

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Don't worry, there is already so much micro plastic in our food, fish, meat, water. Don't be scared but brave 🙏

There certainly is. It is estimated that the average American ingests the equivalent of one credit card of plastic a week. How much more will it be in Thailand, where everything, including boiling soups and curries are  poured into cheap plastic bags for home consumption .Could be 3 credit cards in just one week. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ericbj said:

Please provide a valid source for this nonsense.

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

There certainly is. It is estimated that the average American ingests the equivalent of one credit card of plastic a week. How much more will it be in Thailand, where everything, including boiling soups and curries are  poured into cheap plastic bags for home consumption .Could be 3 credit cards in just one week. 

And yet despite all that humans keep living longer.

I'll worry when live expectancy drops to 30.  

1 hour ago, Freddy42OZ said:

And yet despite all that humans keep living longer.

I'll worry when live expectancy drops to 30.  

No point in worrying.

But life expectancy is rising because modern medicine can cure more and more diseases . Better than getting sick and then be cured by chemotherapy or radiotherapy...is not to get sick in the first place, and cutting down on chemicals ,plastic and pollutants might help you with that. 

You set the bar ,30, a little too low for most of us.

But there is something to be said for THE WHO' s maxim:I want to die before I get old.

I was just reading the worst joke ever thread. You may as well put this in there. The word sometimes generally means between 20-50%.  I don't need to do a study to call bs on that. 

Avoid that website like the plague. Much better sources for reliable info out there. Click bait.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayer_Ji

Douglas Sayer Ji (born October 10, 1972) is the founder of alternative medicine portal GreenMedInfo, a website known for promoting various pseudoscientific publications. He was identified in 2020 as one of the largest promoters of COVID-19 misinformation on social media.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/dec/09/blog-posting/alternative-health-website-spreads-false-claim-abo/