Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Is it possible to buy an electric two-wheel tractor?

We have an old Kubota 2-wheel tractor, but we're doing some development work for a low carbon farming project, and it would be ideal if we had a battery electric equivalent to the Kubota 'Iron Buffalo'.  Anyone seen such a thing?  I can only find one on-line and its made in Australia and is expensive.

https://curlysag.com/product/cyber-clydesdale/

The thinking is that it could be charged using solar power.

Maybe an electric one is just not practical? Perhaps battery capacity or weight is an issue?

But with the developments in lower cost electric cars and bikes in China, and the immediate torque characteristics of electric, they may be viable?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

https://solectrac.com/about/

This is one, can't find a price but it not going to be cheap

This Farmall/Case looks more like a real working tractor but again no price

https://www.caseih.com/en-us/unitedstates/products/tractors/farmall-series/farmall-electric-tractor#0

A 74hp tractor the Case tractor is more than needed for your average Thai farmer, unless he is a big cane /corn etc. farmer, he would want to put a 3-furrow plough behind it and go ploughing, ............for how long before the battery runs out.

I see the promo pictures show someone just pottering around, not out in a field. 

As has been said the cost will dictate the market, with import tax here it will be a loge time before we see any working in Thailand.

As for an electric Kwie  Lec , walk behind tractor nothing like that in electric, again a few yet before we one of those. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The Case looks impressive, but much bigger than we'd need.  A walk-behind Kwai lek would be enough.  Main uses would be ploughing, pulling a trailer and pumping water.

But I guess it would need swappable batteries or battery backup for the solar power, as you'd be using it during the day when the sun is available for charging, then ideally you'd want to charge it overnight.

On 4/5/2024 at 12:30 AM, Kinnock said:

https://curlysag.com/product/cyber-clydesdale/

The thinking is that it could be charged using solar power.

According to the link, it has 2x 2kw motors and a battery capacity of 2.88kw.  That means you can run it at full power for a little less than an hour, then it needs to be charged. (assuming no typos and you're willing to run the battery from 100% to zero.  Which is not a good idea, even if it's possible)

I'd suggest you optimize your carbon footprint where it makes sense and concede that the tech just isn't there yet to go all electric.  Like mulching your clippings instead of burning them, etc.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, impulse said:

According to the link, it has 2x 2kw motors and a battery capacity of 2.88kw.  That means you can run it at full power for a little less than an hour, then it needs to be charged. (assuming no typos and you're willing to run the battery from 100% to zero.  Which is not a good idea, even if it's possible)

I'd suggest you optimize your carbon footprint where it makes sense and concede that the tech just isn't there yet to go all electric.  Like mulching your clippings instead of burning them, etc.

Thank you .... what you say makes a lot of sense to me.  We already have solar powered pumps, and they are effective, but the tractor looks to be a more complex challenge.

The Kwie Lec has a 15 HP single cylinder engine, it relies on the engines toque to power it.

What bit I know of electric vehicles they would not produce some toque as the diesel engine, unless they increase the HP of the electric  motor then you would need a bigger battery, needing more space for storage and more weight.

May be in the next 5-10 years when the technology gets better. 

• Like 2