Khon Kaen parents forced to pay ‘tea money’ for student admission

webfact

image.jpeg

Eight secondary schools in the northeastern province of Khon Kaen found themselves in hot water as officials from the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) launched an investigation into alleged corruption practices.

Parents have lodged complaints, accusing decision-makers within these schools of demanding exorbitant “tea money” sums, reaching up to 100,000 baht, from families whose children failed the entrance examination.

Thirat Bangpetch, acting director of the NACC’s Khon Kaen office, confirmed the disturbing revelations.

“We have received complaints from several parents regarding the alleged corruption by certain influential figures in these eight high schools.”

To validate these claims, the NACC conducted an independent probe, uncovering evidence suggesting that bribes were indeed solicited from parents of unsuccessful exam candidates or those placed on the reserve list for each of the implicated schools.

Audio recordings, dating back to March 27, have further substantiated these claims. In a chilling exchange between two parents, the extent of the corruption is laid bare.

“Did they ask for 100,000 baht?” one parent questioned, to which the other grimly confirmed, “Yes, 100,000 baht.”

Thirat Bangpetch stressed the importance of transparency in school admissions, demanding clarity on vacant seats, applicant numbers, and exam results, reported Thai PBS World.

However, resistance from school administrators, some even refusing to provide documentation, has only added fuel to the fire of suspicion.

In related news, the NACC has set its sights on high-ranking government officials, leaving no stone unturned in the battle for transparency and accountability. The NACC, led by President Police General Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit, is leading a proposal to extend asset reporting laws to encompass agencies notorious for corruption risks.

Under this plan, heavyweights from the Revenue Department, Excise Department, and even the Royal Thai Police could soon find themselves under the microscope.

In other news, the Cabinet has given the nod to a 2.95 billion baht free school lunch programme for nearly half a million students nationwide for the upcoming 2025 academic year.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of Thailand News

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-05

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

1 hour ago, nikmar said:

As the poster above - we have to pay for the extra tuition or "how will your son know what homework he has to do. If he cant do his homework, he wont get a grade!!".

Apparently, in this "extra tutorial", everyone sits around playing with their phones for n hour.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

My sons government school demands 3kbht a term for 'extra' lessons.

I you don't pay it, they won't accept your kid as a student.

It's been like this forever.

Sad but true, and mirrors our experience with daughter's (private) schools.  Mandatory 'extra' classes, as simply a money grab.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“We have received complaints from several parents regarding the alleged corruption by certain influential figures in these eight high schools.”

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Under this plan, heavyweights from the Revenue Department, Excise Department, and even the Royal Thai Police could soon find themselves under the microscope

We'll see how this pans out shall we, I'm sure it's all just a misunderstanding, any follow up will be months from now IMO.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My sons government school demands 3kbht a term for 'extra' lessons.

I you don't pay it, they won't accept your kid as a student.

It's been like this forever.

So why don't you report it, what are the extra lessons, and does your son receive them or not ??? 

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Parents have lodged complaints, accusing decision-makers within these schools of demanding exorbitant “tea money” sums, reaching up to 100,000 baht, from families whose children failed the entrance examination.

Now that's a high price for a cuppa...

• Like 1

Tea money....    a normal part of the systemic corruption in Thailand. 

Wife's parents had to pay a lot to get her into her high-school.

I have also heard that 'some' high end international schools with a very strong reputation 'take donations' to secure a place for Thai students where the quota is extremely competitive ( Millions of Baht )..... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, it is what it is said:

according to my thai friends with children, it's the practice in bangkok too... not every school, but certainly happens.

This is not new, it has been going on for years.

• Thanks 1

Corruption only works if people are prepared to pay it.

Our daughter asked to not to attend the top school in our district as she new about the fees required 

The issue with paying the fee is your child might not be in the class you want. An extra fee is often required to be in "King's" class or "Queen's" class. This results in not so clever kids being in the top classes dragging the clever kids down.

Our daughter's primary school often had "borigan" on the receipts for payments. I paid the food bill, the books and computer class. I said I'd pay "borigan" when I could see receipts for the work that it was going to pay for. Things like new playground, plants and trees. They never got back to me.

• Like 1

Been in 3 schools and that was (is) common practice - to pay extra cash every term. Cash only and no receipt. Good school with good history turn into _______________.

And yes, King's and Queen's classes is another story.

• Thanks 1

Just one of the many (many!!) scams people in a position of power in Thailand play on their fellow Thai. My girlfriend has told me plenty of stories (which I won’t/can’t repeat here) of the things she’s had to do to keep her children in school, or to get certain permits, or to get certain things done.
The upside is that there’s a lot possible when you have money. The downside is that it creates and sustains an increasingly corrupt society, where those who can’t pay the bribes get left behind. It also looks to me like the people demanding bribes are becoming greedier and greedier.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JoePai said:

Just so I understand, these little darlings failed the entrance examination so their parents bribe the school to let them back in ?

Yep ,Then the kids are too stupid to learn Anything and the parents have to pay  Massive amount of money to Buy the end Exam Pass .

• Agree 1

Every country is different. I believe starting in 1st grade you have your kid in a good school you pay more money. And then later later going to a University is the same. If you want a better University you pay more money. 
Thailand is 100% about money. The better you want you,pay more money.