The world rankings are a lie - LIV's Niemann

CharlieH

image.png

LIV golfer Joaquin Niemann says the breakaway tour needs to be recognised in the official world rankings because the current system can be "a lie".

With LIV events not given ranking points, Chile's Niemann is 91st in the world yet among the favourites to win the Masters at Augusta on Sunday.

He won two of LIV's first three events in 2024, continuing his form having won the Australian Open in December.

"Right now the game is divided and it is not helping," Niemann said.

"It is hard to get a ranking system where everyone is happy."

Niemann, 25, has been given a special invitation to play at the Masters, which begins at Augusta National on Thursday and concludes on Sunday.

The Saudi-backed LIV league has been denied accreditation by the Official World Golf Ranking, with LIV commissioner Greg Norman telling its players last month the application to join had been withdrawn.

Many of the big names which left the PGA Tour have slipped down the rankings, with Jon Rahm, Tyrrell Hatton and Brooks Koepka being the only LIV players to feature in the OWGR's top 50.

"I feel [a unified system] is something which has to happen and will happen over time," Niemann told BBC golf correspondent Iain Carter at the recent LIV event in Miami.

"It could be sooner or later, I don't know. Hopefully it will happen soon. I feel like the world ranking is a lie for a few players."

FULL STORY

sPORT-bbc.png