Converting large sums of baht without being robbed

Until a few years ago, if one wanted to convert a large sum of money between currencies, say over the equivalent of about one million baht, most banks worldwide would do so at a reasonable rate (typically about 0.3% between buying and selling rates) instead of the grossly rapacious tourist rate (at least 2% between buying and selling rates). Now the only bank I happen to know of anywhere that will exchange at the old honest rate is Revolut.

I need to transfer 20 million baht from a Thai stockbroker to any bank in Europe. Before, the broker's bank would have done this at an at least bearable rate, but no more. It would cost at least 200,000 baht. So I set up a multi-currency account with Revolut in France, Euros, £ and baht. I sent £ to it from Britain with no problem. Now I've asked my Thai broker to send baht to it and they claim they cannot because its SWIFT code is denominated in Euros (in which case, how could the British bank manage it?).

If anyone has experience of this or can offer a solution, I'd be extremely grateful to hear from them.

Thanks Mike,

That's what I suspected. They are trying to force me to pay for their exchange service.  Their exact wording is "

SWIFT CODE : REVOFRP2 can only transfer from  Thai Baht into foreign currency and the offshore bank does not Thai Baht account with Bangkok Bank."

But if they say "no", what on earth can I do?

8 minutes ago, jrmaanda said:

Thanks Mike,

That's what I suspected. They are trying to force me to pay for their exchange service.  Their exact wording is "

SWIFT CODE : REVOFRP2 can only transfer from  Thai Baht into foreign currency and the offshore bank does not Thai Baht account with Bangkok Bank."

But if they say "no", what on earth can I do?

You have no choice, you have to sell that THB before you can transfer it overseas, those are the Central Bank rules.

On 4/10/2024 at 5:55 AM, jrmaanda said:

It would cost at least 200,000 baht

You might get a better rate for higher amounts.

I did about 12 million with Bangkok Bank and got a rate 0.75% worse than the ECB rate for the same day, which is the mid-market rate, so no bank (even Revolut) would actually give me the ECB rate.

But as others have pointed out, you are in the mercy of Thai financial institutions, because THB cannot be sent abroad, so your best option is to check which Thai bank will give you the best rate.

Please see this thread. I helped RrtiredThailand. If you need to move a large amount - in the millions of Baht - we can give you a special rate. And as I said I have helped many people on this forum over the years. So PM me if you need to move a large amount. A few hundred thousand Baht will not qualify. This is like buying Wholesale and not Retail.

• Love It 1