Availability of olive oil, canned tomatoes, and cheeses in Chiang Mai

connda

I've noticed over the last year that certain import items and foods I personally use for cooking are starting to be in short supply in Lamphun Big C and Tesco.

Specifically I use Brooks Whole Peeled Tomatoes which this trip (and during previous trips) is not available.
Also block cheeses, other than cheddar and a limited amount of mozzarella, have simply disappeared (Edam, Havarti, Provolone, Swiss - can't find them any more)
Then last trip they only had about 10 bottles of olive oil in stock (they used to have shelves of different brands) To me it looks like they are going to stop stocking it.  I use the commercial olive oil blends like Bertolli regular and similar brands that I used primarily in cooking.

Anyway, these are foods I use in Mediterranean type cooking that I do.  I'm wondering if those of you shopping at Makro or Big C in Chiang Mai can still find these items?

Try shopping at Makro, as ours has all those, and we're in Nakhon Nowhere.  Or online for the non perishables.  I get my peanut oil online, as Makro only carries smaller bottles, and we need at least 2 or 3L at a time, and much cheaper online.

Lotus's & Big C are crap & more expensive.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Try shopping at Makro, as ours has all those, and we're in Nakhon Nowhere.  Or online for the non perishables.  I get my peanut oil online, as Makro only carries smaller bottles, and we need at least 2 or 3L at a time, and much cheaper online.

Lotus's & Big C are crap & more expensive.

My bust.  I actually meant the Lamphun Makro.  There is no Tesco down here.  I was surprised but I've watched the stocks of olive oil, canned tomatoes, and cheese dwindle to next to nothing.  But?  If Nakhon Nowhereville has them I'm assuming Makro CM probably is stocked.  Rimping too.  They just tend to be pricey. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pricey?  Well yeah.

As posted though you will find most if not all you are looking for at Makro & Rimping. It can be pricey, and it can also be a bargain. No rhyme or reason. 

What hacks me a bit ... you will find  different items stocked at the two 

Makros in or near CM. Same with the Rimping stores. I assume if one store has sliced Kalamata olives both would. Or say a certain brand  of German dill pickles would be found in all Rimping stores, not just one store, but this is most definitely not the case. It's always something when living in the 3rd world. 

Oh, and no guarantees they will keep stocking an item, even if obviously popular.

Edited by Dcheech
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

If you fancy a drive to Airport Plaza in CM, next to it there is a huge GO Wholesale which has no shortage of the ingredients you are looking for. It is a bit like Makro, except with very little queues at cashier and better food (IMO).

Thipanet Rd, just north of the airport 4 way will have a Foodland in a couple months. Construction is moving along. Another small supermarket that will stock a number of western food items.

Unfortunatly as you gain a shop, you lose one.  Greens, in Hang Dong, a more Brit food centric shop, is going out of business, if it is not so already.

Edited by Dcheech

The main reason for supply shortages is Middle East troubles and shipping delays.  Airfreight is expensive and not warranted for many 'luxury' food imports although some gets through to Bangkok specialty importers and retailers.  The North gets little or nothing. 😞

Olive oil is in short supply anyway due to the past year of drought and disease in Euro growing regions.  Prices have sky-rocketed for this 'liquid gold' and I stocked up with 5L bottles of Extra Virgin @ 2600Bt at Makro Hang Dong recently.  Shortages will continue.

Euro cheese imports are very slow, NZ Mainland and Anchor product in stock at Makro and Rimping PLUS you can buy JARTISAN specialty cheeses at GoWholesale or Rimping.

Note: HoReCa cheese sold at Makro is garbage IMHO, buy Anchor large blocks of cheddar for most cooking purposes in preference.

1 hour ago, McTavish said:

I stocked up with 5L bottles of Extra Virgin @ 2600Bt at Makro Hang Dong recently.  Shortages will continue.

and it will start to go rancid within 12-24 months depending on how you store it and what quality it is

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

and it will start to go rancid within 12-24 months depending on how you store it and what quality it is

It's '24 production and I decant into 1L glass bottles for storage in a cool/dark pantry.  Never had a problem.