Cannabis and Cadmium

I've read several scientific reports done on the propensity for cannabis plants to store heavy metals. This, according to all the research, is true. Cannabis is what's known as a hyper accumulator, meaning it is highly tolerant of and indeed, highly attracted to, heavy metals in the growing medium it inhabits. So in all the tests, highly elevated levels of eg Cadmium, arsenic, and lead, were found. But I suggest that it is very much dependent on where the plants are grown, and the growing medium. Hydroponics, for instance, surely allow a great degree of control over the growing medium?

It also means cannabis plants can be, and are, used to clean soil of all the accumulated crap, fertilisers, pesticides, insecticides etc etc with which mankind douses the soil. But I guess the resultant uptake of potentially harmful metals could prove hazardous to human health. So I guess sourcing the product for human consumption becomes of very much greater importance.

Anyway, I'm only posting as I've not seen this topic raised before. I'm not a user, but I follow the politicians idiot pronouncements, so try and educate myself accordingly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10519194/

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20230903/Marijuana-users-have-elevated-levels-of-cadmium-and-lead-in-their-blood-and-urine.aspx

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/30/health/marijuana-heavy-metals-wellness/index.html#:~:text=Marijuana users also had 22,out to through the kidney.

18 hours ago, bradiston said:

Cannabis is what's known as a hyper accumulator, meaning it is highly tolerant of and indeed, highly attracted to, heavy metals in the growing medium it inhabits.

No wonder I'm gaining so much weight! 😏

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, wombat said:

I've read some bullsh!t about weed before but this takes the cake.

Its all about knowing what you smoke from where. Same goes for food and drinks, if you do not care, why bother answering?

• Thanks 1

Home grown is the way to go, with everything it seems.  Self sufficiency, and control what goes into your body.  TRUST NOBODY, especially corporations that care about nothing except the bottom line.

Better stop burning and using that fossil fuel/diesel then, as cadmium is released.  Just another reason to go solar & drive BEVs.

image.png.77135c5eb78a31ea092e3327e73b5c16.png

Careful what you eat, and where it comes from.  You like them imported fruits & veggies from CH, who energizes with coal.   What goes up, must come down, and into the soil ... YUMMY

image.png.8dbfcf0d867109c061e48f58991a15d7.png

10 hours ago, ignore it said:

Whoa Nelly, 

This opens a whole new avenue for weed marketing 

please, oh god please no... dont start with another name...

banana fritters, og kush... I just like the original... 'farmer's field pig poo'

• Haha 1