Severe weather alert for 36 Thai provinces amid heatwave

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) today issued a severe weather warning for 36 provinces, forecasting thunderstorms, strong winds, and potential hailstorms across the regions. This alert comes amid a period of intense heat enveloping the country, with scorching temperatures and sporadic thunderstorms expected throughout the day.

As of 6am, today, April 15, the low-pressure system caused by the prevailing heat has covered upper Thailand, leading to sweltering conditions and the risk of sudden thunderstorms. The public is advised to take precautions to protect their health from the extreme heat, including avoiding prolonged outdoor activities.

In the lower northeastern, central, and eastern regions, moisture-laden winds from the Gulf of Thailand and the South China Sea have intensified the weather conditions. Combined with the westerly and southerly wind flows that cover the north, upper northeastern, and upper central areas, this has resulted in thunderstorms accompanied by strong gusts and possible hail in certain locations.

Citizens in these areas are cautioned to stay vigilant against the dangers posed by these severe weather conditions.

Additionally, the easterly and southeasterly winds have enveloped the Gulf of Thailand, the southern region, and the Andaman Sea, leading to scattered thunderstorms in the south. Meanwhile, dust particles and smoke haze have reached moderate to quite high levels in the north, upper northeastern, and upper central parts of the country due to weak wind flows and poor air circulation in these areas.

Regional Insights

For the next 24-hour forecast starting today at 6am, the northern region is expected to experience hot to very hot weather, with isolated thundershowers affecting 30% of the area, particularly in Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phayao, Nan, Phrae, Uttaradit, Tak, Phitsanulok, and Phetchabun provinces. The lowest temperatures will range from 20 to 27 degrees Celsius, with highs between 35 to 42 degrees Celsius, and southwesterly winds travelling at 5–15 km/h.

The northeastern region is also set for hot to very hot conditions, with 20% of its area likely to have thunderstorms, strong winds, and potential hail, especially in Loei, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Chaiyaphum, and Nakhon Ratchasima. Temperatures will fall between 24 to 28 degrees Celsius at their lowest and reach highs of 38 to 41 degrees Celsius.

The central region will similarly endure hot to very hot weather with a 20% chance of thunderstorms, strong winds, and hail, mainly affecting Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Lopburi, Saraburi, Kanchanaburi, and Ratchaburi. The lowest temperatures will be 26 to 28 degrees Celsius, with highs of 39 to 41 degrees Celsius.

In the eastern region, general hot weather is forecasted, with occasional severe heat and a 10% chance of thunderstorms in Nakhon Nayok, Chon Buri, Chanthaburi, and Trat. The mercury will dip to 26 to 29 degrees Celsius at its lowest and climb to highs of 35 to 40 degrees Celsius.

For the southern region on the east coast, daytime heat will be accompanied by very hot spells in some areas and a 10% likelihood of thunderstorms in Phetchaburi, Pattalung, Songkhla, Yala, and Narathiwat. Minimum temperatures will range from 23 to 28 degrees Celsius, with maximum temperatures hitting 33 to 40 degrees Celsius.

The west coast of the southern region will experience hot daytime weather with slight thunderstorms in some lower part areas. The lowest temperatures will be between 24 to 28 degrees Celsius, and the highs will range from 36 to 39 degrees Celsius.

Bangkok and its vicinity can expect generally hot weather, with some very hot areas and occasional thundershowers. Minimum temperatures in the capital will be between 28 to 30 degrees Celsius, with maximum temperatures reaching 35 to 40 degrees Celsius, reported Khaosod.

by Nattapong Westwood

PHOTO VIA:NOAA FROM:Unsplash.com

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-15

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My Thai wife has been turning on the AC while complaining about the electric bill.

I enjoy the AC though I moved here from AZ where it can get hellish hot, and can get by with a fan usually.

I think they are a little late with this forecast.  Here in Chiang Rai we’ve had thunderstorms, strong winds and heavy rain the past 3 nights usually starting around 8

Yes it is hot,just like every year but i find this year so far it is cooling down nicely in the evening here.

Many years it did not cool down at night but this year so far the nights have been ok.

21 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

So who we gonna listen to, you or the Thai Meteorological Department?

Severe weather alert for 36 Thai provinces amid heatwave

This is a headline not a quote from the TMD. Nowhere in the article does it mention a heatwave. 

NOTE: April 6, 2023

Thai health officials have issued a heatwave alert as temperatures rise across many parts of the country, with the Bangkok district of Bang Na expected to hit 50°C today.

"According to a Bangkok Post report, Dr Opas Karnkawinpong from the Public Health Ministry says the extreme heat could pose a particular risk to children, the elderly, and those with underlying health conditions. He adds that people who work outdoors are at increased risk of dehydration due to excessive perspiration and heat exhaustion.

April is known for being the hottest month of the year and The Thai Meteorological Department says many parts of the country can expect to see temperatures above 40°C today. The mercury is expected to rise to 40.6°C in Phetchabun, 41.5°C in Si Sa Ket, 49.4°C in the Laem Chabang area of Chon Buri, and 47.9 °C in Phuket."

This was last year. Even then it wasn't a heatwave as these temps did not go for an extended period which is part of what defines a heatwave.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Again I say it is not a heatwave it's just average April temps ranging from mid 30°C-low 40°C with overnight temps in the high 20°C. As for storms they forecast this at least once a week with very little to nil accuracy. 

The weather is no different than any other news. It’s simply all manipulations. It has nothing to do with the actual truth. The interesting part about this is people in countries like China and Russia know this. But people in western countries think sean hannity is telling them the truth. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In the lower northeastern, central, and eastern regions, moisture-laden winds from the Gulf of Thailand and the South China Sea have intensified the weather conditions. Combined with the westerly and southerly wind flows that cover the north, upper northeastern, and upper central areas, this has resulted in thunderstorms accompanied by strong gusts and possible hail in certain locations.

I'm sorry can anyone translate this from Thainglish to regular English?

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Again I say it is not a heatwave it's just average April temps ranging from mid 30°C-low 40°C with overnight temps in the high 20°C. As for storms they forecast this at least once a week with very little to nil accuracy. 

Are you John Kettley?

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

What happened to the electricity discount Srettha promised last month. Just got my electric bill. Highest in eight years.

Doesn't matter what the gov. says, the electricity companies always put the price up in the hot season, look at the unit price changes...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Doesn't matter what the gov. says, the electricity companies always put the price up in the hot season, look at the unit price changes...

How much is the unit price now?

Certainly, I've experienced it as a heatwave. Even down here in Suratthani, the temperature has been 37-38 degrees and the sun has been unrelenting for about 2 weeks now.  It's true that a heatwave in the UK is weather that is abnormally hot for a while, so Mr Pedantic wins the day I suppose. But the point is that whereas it's normally hot here, it's now very hot.  That extra 3 degrees seems to make a big difference.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, transam said:

It is not the same as last year, or the year before, in fact I have been in my house for 17 years, this is the first time I have noticed a real difference in temp...

It has been in the 40's in my garden....To hot to venture into for the first time ever.

You need to take notice of folk on the ground, not your keyboard, as you did with Covid.....:coffee1:

It has been in the 40's in my garden....To hot to venture into for the first time ever.

All temperatures taken for records of air temperature are taken in the shade. Any temperature gauges that are recording temperatures in the sun will be affected by the sun's radiation and the temperature during that period will appear significantly hotter

• Haha 1

Didn't we get a similar forecast about 10-11 days ago. I got one two minute sprinkling and the rest of the time dry as dust. No doubt they got the heat right though!

6 hours ago, it is what it is said:

All temperatures taken for records of air temperature are taken in the shade. Any temperature gauges that are recording temperatures in the sun will be affected by the sun's radiation and the temperature during that period will appear significantly hotter

I go by my electric shower, during this heatwave, it has not been turned on, because the water is coming out very warm, that is the first time in 17 years at this house........😋

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, transam said:

I go by my electric shower, during this heatwave, it has not been turned on, because the water is coming out very warm, that is the first time in 17 years at this house........😋

Always remember living in Saudi Arabia... you knew when the hot season was here, when you turned the tank heater off and your cold tap became the hot one and vice-versa. Here now it's all like hot soup, including the pool.

• Thumbs Up 1