Taxis

...My father in law used to be a song thaew driver, 10 times a day, forget it, keep on dreaming and take those pink shaded glasses off. There's more empty song thaews than full ones on the road and business for a song thaew is not that good any more, with all the competition from the metered taxis and motocy taxis.

Furthermore, the running order who can pick up customers at terminal stations like Nathon is very strict regulated and 10 times a day is just out of the question for that reason.

No "pink shades" and NOT dreaming either, Sir!

Was a sample, or as it turned out, a risky evaluation of trying to explain why they are so aggressive and why ar there so many of them on the roads.

O.K. then if you have first hand knowledge how high was the income?

You did leave that out of the equation!

Well, maybe some restructuring is in the books.

Restrict the Licenses for all of the Transport Systems, the building of Hotel Rooms, of Restaurants, Soup Kitchens...could be a way.

Still the ST's and the Cabbies make much more money then a comparative job.

Is this wrong again, correct me!

Before the mid' 1980ies driving a Cab in Germany was very lucrative!

But then, accept a few Cities which introduced Limits for the Lincence, because of too many Cabs on the roads, in come went down the drain.

Just a thought or two - not meant to offend anybody Ex-whatever in law!

Samuian,

In average he made maybe 500Baht a day, some days less, in high season sometimes more. In those days there were less taxis, no metered taxis and no motocy taxis.

The Songthaew drivers were not very happy with the introduction of so many metered taxis, time after time more were allowed. A few demonstrations were staged at various times but the songthaew drivers lost out every time.

I'm totally for regulations, especially for metered taxis and whilst at it, for all other taxis as well.

There's also a difference between day-and night time Songthaews. Ever noticed that the night time songthaews are smaller?

Just want to point out that your previous sample on how much a songthaew can make (NOTE; not a metered taxi) doesn't make sense. One can't just pull up at the Nathon ferry and start loading, a waiting time of 1 or 2 hours can easily occur. Slots are given and this is regulated and slots change on a dialy base.

Edited by limbos

Samuian,

AFAIK it's the songthaew organistaion itself that controls the slots. Not too sure about the cabs, in the end the local Samui govnmt, who decides about the amount of licenses they allow.

this thread got me realy intrested in this topic so i took the time today to look into it.

taxi drivers.

spoke with a taxi driver today as to why they are not using meters like in bangkok. he says that the bangkok drivers mostly use gas and not gasoline and because the fuel is more expensive in samui they dont want to loose. he claims that he checked that a taxi ride from nathon to chaweng us about 100-150 baht if he uses the meter... and that the gasoline to do it is about 3.-3.5 liters so so if he uses the meter he is actually working for nothing.

i dont know if he is for real or not but if he is then it makes sense why they dont use the meter. and it makes sens why the tourist and locals hardly use them.

songthaew

if the songthaew drivers want to "win" they should use the songthaew organistaion itself to publish a fixed rate to all destinations.

they have guide lines but no one realy follows it.

this fixed rate can be posted in the back of every songthaew so tourists will know what the price si for each destination instead of haggling about every ride.

i belive that if they will do it and gain the local and tourist trust they will have a lot more work.

I stopped songthaew today and asked him how much it was from the Amari hotel to the starbuck. he asked for 70 baht. no wonder he does not have customers ...

this thread got me realy intrested in this topic so i took the time today to look into it.

taxi drivers.

spoke with a taxi driver today as to why they are not using meters like in bangkok. he says that the bangkok drivers mostly use gas and not gasoline and because the fuel is more expensive in samui they dont want to loose. he claims that he checked that a taxi ride from nathon to chaweng us about 100-150 baht if he uses the meter... and that the gasoline to do it is about 3.-3.5 liters so so if he uses the meter he is actually working for nothing.

i dont know if he is for real or not but if he is then it makes sense why they dont use the meter. and it makes sens why the tourist and locals hardly use them.

Does not make sense to me. If he cannot make a living by operating his taxi legally why become a taxi driver in the first place?

The authorities should rid the island of these scum. They wont of course but they should.

taxi drivers.

no doubt ,

now go and talk to the taxi owners ..............................

taxi drivers.

Ok, so the trip to chaweng from nathon is approx 20km. Most taxis are Toyota carollas, probably 1.6 litre engines. This would on average use about 7.5 litres for 100km, so that trip would use about 1.5 litres.

Me thinks someone's tellin porkys.

Why is it so difficult?

If the taxi fare in BKK is so low because of the gaz (how much for gaz compared to gasoline?) then they have to adjust the tariff in Samui to a fair level.

The Songthaew drivers should publish a price list, like "Chaweng to Nathon: 50 Baht" But in both languages!!

do they get the gaz in bkk for free?

2nd) much more traffic snarls and many more traffic lights in bkk! so the cars in bkk burn much more fuel while not moving!

It's a cheap excuse to go on and rip the people off!

and even the ride does consume 2-3 liters (60-90 Baht) of petrol, why they are asking 500? is 400% enough?

Why is it working in Bkk - I remember that one day a bkk-cabbie told me that he has to pay 800/850 Baht "rental fees" to the owner/company...

gaz=gas=LPG or Butane

Edited by Samuian

Why is they can get away with having a meter sign on the top of there taxi but when you get in it theres no meter? I've had this with all of them. No wonder tourist think there PI55 taking, can't even read the sign on the top of there own car , lol. As for laughing at them well i would recomend it only in a crowded tourist area infront of the police if possible, the only one on one fight your see in LOS is in the boxing ring.

Why is they can get away with having a meter sign on the top of there taxi but when you get in it theres no meter? I've had this with all of them. No wonder tourist think there PI55 taking, can't even read the sign on the top of there own car , lol. As for laughing at them well i would recomend it only in a crowded tourist area infront of the police if possible, the only one on one fight your see in LOS is in the boxing ring.

They get away with it because people on holiday are non the wiser and pay up. People who live in Samui know better and do not pay.

Also the authorities do not care about tourists and could not care less if visitors are ripped off. Why worry, some more mugs will come next week.

They get away with it because people on holiday are non the wiser and pay up. People who live in Samui know better and do not pay.

Also the authorities do not care about tourists and could not care less if visitors are ripped off. Why worry, some more mugs will come next week.

Lite Beer the problem is that tourist are told one price getting in and another when they are there, and if they don't pay they drive them far from anywhere and let them off, at least this I 've heard from many tourists here on their first time. They feel ripped and don't feel like coming here again. I could care less, but others feel that we all are getting ripped off with a smile. Time to stop it! :o

Edited by SamuiJens

There is a good reliable taxi service on Samui - "Samui shuttle" (??). I tried them last month:

Cheap, nice driver and good service.

I have talked with a local taxi driver once:

They are so expensive because after Tsunami many new cabs started on Samui - now with less customers

they have to ask more to get the same income. Strange logic but TIS This is Samui!

Sorry chum but the yellow devils were here a LOT before the tsunami. I saw my first one in circa 2003 and asked him for his meter. IN BKK, all you have to say is "police" and the meter is on. Here, he just said to me - 'Go look songthiew. and wound his window down.

R

This is a perfect case for the tourist police, it is the tourist who are the victim of cime this is what these farang police are supposed to sort out is it not. here is their chance to prove their worth. take on the taxi's do your job instead of poncing around in fancy uniforms trying to look like robocop. the taxi's are one of Samui's biggest problems for tourist not returning. CRIME+TOURIST solution tourist police.

samui has had it because of rip off's etc the killer will be the extremelly high baht rate this year.

Having said that i have never had a problem, always make sure of the price before you set off, better still if you can avoid them do so

I clipped a small article from the Samui Welcome - now defunct - back in 2005 sometime. Back then it said - "Limited resources and manpower mean that the police can do very little to monitor the activities of the yellow meter taxis. Anyone who is overcharged or feels unfairly treated is strongly urged by the authorities to report hte matter immediately to the Samui Transport Office on 077-243-309."

What they didn't say is that every yellow taxi on Samui is driven by the someone in the family of every boy in brown on Samui and nothing will ever happen if you do.

But, if, on the other hand, you can drive about pissed out of your head and with no helmet, and never get checked for tax and insurance (or LICENCE - (what's that?) Few of the police have one of these) - then why moan about taxi fares.

What makes me want to KILL is the songthiew driver that suddenly demands 300 baht for a 50 baht fare just cos it's getting dark.

At least the yellow cabs are honest, upfront crooks.

Swings and roundabouts!

Rob

robsamui,

As I mentioend before, there's a difference in day time and night time songthaews. The daytime ones have larger car bodies for instance.

The night time and day time songtheaws are also not allowed to mix in their respective shifts. Although I agree fully with your sentiment of night time songhaews overcharging, it should not be blamed on the day time cars.

robsamui,

As I mentioend before, there's a difference in day time and night time songthaews. The daytime ones have larger car bodies for instance.

The night time and day time songtheaws are also not allowed to mix in their respective shifts. Although I agree fully with your sentiment of night time songhaews overcharging, it should not be blamed on the day time cars.

WHAT!!

You want to tell me that there are TWO different converted-pick-up-bodies? 2 different songthiews? One for day and one for night?

Meet me in Mae Nam anytime in the next week and I'll instantly give you 1000 baht if you can gather the two sorts together in one place.

THEY GO BACK HOME AND FIT NEW BODIES TO THEIR SONGTHIEWS FOR THE EVENING TRADE?

Or, perhaps, you can explain what you really meant to say!

R

robsamui,

[/quote

Oh!

ps -

Just like we're not allowed to ride on motorbikes without a helmet - or drunk - or without a licence - or without tax - or insurance - or on the wrong side of the road, or ignore traffic lights or be under the age of 17 or go at 80 kph in a 35 k limit?

Not to even think about the fact that it is ILLEGAL and against the (everywhere else in Thailand) law for the meter taxis to not have a working meter - and a prison offence it it can be proved that the taxi driver has refused to use his meter. That's another story!!

Just see what happens in Hat Yai or Nakhorn Sri Thammarat if there are 3 10-year old kids on a motorbike, on the wrong side of the road and not wearing helmets!

(Sorry! Just for a moment I thought you were being serious!)

R

Edited by robsamui

Rob,

What I'm trying to say, is that some songthaews have licenses for the day shifts and others for the night shifts.

Night shift drivers have smaller (bodied) songthaews. They're not the same drivers/owners. Different crowd for night and day shifts.

My Thai girlfriend told me last night that 2 days ago a Thai taxi driver stabbed a farang at Club 99 30 times and then fled and has not been captured. They got his taxi. Now all taxi drivers have to register their names and cars with the govt but apparently a lot of them do not have the special "taxi license" to do so legally.

She said it was in the Thai newspaper yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

...and this is amazing too:

"But the head of the Tourism Association of Koh Samui, Seni Phuwasethwaorn, claimed that the assault involving a taxi driver was not the first to happen on Samui. Before that, he said, many tourists had been attacked by taxi drivers on the same issue of overcharging. He admitted that these incidents would affect tourism here badly."

Friends of a friend were just driven from the airport to Taling Ngam for 2500 Baht!! They remembered the number and reported to one the Tourist Police the resident knows well. But it was not too succesfull as they did not get money back...

On the other hand I got an offer from a lady driver for 200 Baht from Lamai to Nathon - but went by Songthaew for 50 Baht.

Does anybody know how many songthaews are still on the road?

BKK Taxis (and others) are converted to use LPG (Gas) rather than Gasoline (Liquid petroleum spirit).

LPG is less than half the price of Gasoline and almost provides the same milage per "liter".

Samui Taxis are really good news for the car rental companies on the island.

Edited by Cuban