High court upholds top London school’s ban on prayer rituals

Social Media

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Exactly.

If they'd have won this then they'd just want more. A prayer room in every school, desks facing mecca, readings of the Koran during assembly, halal only school dinners, bans on pork in the canteen, lessons in Arabic etc. 

It would never be enough.

Well, I was going to lament that the pupils would now be prevented from learning about the Religion of Peace, when along came this informative list of what the poor souls would be missing.

• Like 1

People should have the right to choose their religion But that right does not include practising the chosen religion at venues not designed for the chosen religion. Hope she doesn't get a job as Bus Driver...'sorry passengers I got to do my prayers now'.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, James105 said:

Legal aid should be for legal defence when someone who cannot afford their own defence is accused of a serious crime, not to support vexatious actions like this where the family chose to send their child to this school knowing full well the secular nature of the school in advance and what facilities were and were not available, and having the freedom of choice to move to an alternative school if they desired such a facility.   

They should not have been given legal aid and if they wanted to take such a nonsense, spurious claim to the courts (as is their right) then they should fund it themselves.   It's the equivalent of me taking a gym to court for not providing a swimming pool when I already knew they didn't have a pool when I signed up and took the tour of the gym before committing to joining.  

Your opinion is at odds with reality.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

A good decision.

Schools are for learning, she can go to the mosque to pray.

And of course a church, temple synagogue, henge or wherever else pupils and staff wish to perform their personal religious observances.

50 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

I imagine the people who showed up to coach her on how to speak would be Muslim as well, which then should make her feel accepted and welcome...

35 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I expect you imagined all of that.

I congratulate you on your reading ability.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

They should not have been given legal aid and if they wanted to take such a nonsense, spurious claim to the courts (as is their right) then they should fund it themselves.   It's the equivalent of me taking a gym to court for not providing a swimming pool when I already knew they didn't have a pool when I signed up and took the tour of the gym before committing to joining.  

That should have been the first test of the merits of her case.  If she (they) couldn't find an organization to fund the trial expenses, or an attorney that would take the case on a contingency, that should have ended it before it even started.  Of course, there probably would have been financial backing in this particular case.

No way they should have used taxpayer money to bring it to trial.  Public funds should be limited to defending indigent defendants.

• Haha 1

I had to take a subject called religious studies at school. However, no one gave us a clue about satanism. I felt ever so marginalized.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

I wish all the British right-wingers who posted in support of the decision would share their beliefs with their American right wing counterparts who overwhelmingly favor prayer in schools.

Actually the way that the UK has outgrown christianity has left a bit of a vacuum that Islam is now trying to (and will one day) fill with it's backwards ideology.  The "right wingers" are overwhelmingly in favour of equal rights for women and gay people of any religion.  The left are in favour of being allied with ideologies that would take those rights away as soon as they have the power to do so.  

Islamic countries protect their (backwards) values by not allowing the teaching of other religions in their schools.  Maybe the west should have continued to insist on teaching Christian values rather than kowtowing to the most intolerant religion on the planet and allowing that intolerance to spread via Islamic faith schools.  Maybe then the street would not be full of hateful people on their hate marches every weekend.  

• Love It 1