Reverse Osmosis Water System

15 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Has anybody got one in their home in Thailand? 
Any recommendations or tips?

You are talking single point to provide RO water or some kind of change to entire system?  For the single point (which does not cost that much) of most concern is that you make enough and do not have to wait too long to make more.  

28 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Any recommendations or tips?

Yes watch out for ants nesting in the electronic switches, for some reason they are atracted to electronic/magnetic fields causing havoc to many appliances...I've found the naptha balls sold in small packets at Mr D.I.Y and some 20 baht shops strategically placed

deters the little buggers for a while but needs topping up as they evaporate over time.

You can getan RO machine with 3 stage pre filter and  filtered water holding tank for a few thousand baht on lazada...on first use you need to discard the first 5 or more tanks of water due to carbon filter leaching and a plastic/rubber taste from the holding tank.

• Like 1

I have had a RO system for about 10 years. Get the one with a clear case for the sediment filter, so you can easily see when to replace it. I also have UV light as the first stage, before the sediment.  So technically, to make the drinking water from the city water: 20 micron sediment (used for all water entering the condo),  UV light, then into RO setup of 3 filters, RO membrane, post carbon, resulting in drinking water. Membrane is rated for 2500 gallons. Takes about 2 min. to fill a 1.5L bottle. I use about 1 gallon per day.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You are talking single point to provide RO water or some kind of change to entire system?  For the single point (which does not cost that much) of most concern is that you make enough and do not have to wait too long to make more.  

Yes single point, to use at one sink for drinking and cooking use. 

7 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I have had a RO system for about 10 years. Get the one with a clear case for the sediment filter, so you can easily see when to replace it. I also have UV light as the first stage, before the sediment.  So technically, to make the drinking water from the city water: 20 micron sediment (used for all water entering the condo),  UV light, then into RO setup of 3 filters, RO membrane, post carbon, resulting in drinking water. Membrane is rated for 2500 gallons. Takes about 2 min. to fill a 1.5L bottle. I use about 1 gallon per day.

I was looking on home pro and I notice some differences. This one says 3 filtration stage and 2 filter. 0.0001 micron filter

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/1171420

The one below says a five stage filtrations system which im guessing is probably not different to the 3+2 above but comes much cheaper

https://www.homepro.co.th/p/57811

If im not mistaken UV treatment is to kill bacteria but these systems say they will filter out bacteria? This would be for use in temporary accommodation and I dont think UV would be? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Celsius said:

reverse osmosis is the worst tasting water money can buy 

I prefer healthy water over good tasting water.
I would chug a half litre of water down in 10 seconds, taste is not a concern for me.

Ive also heard others say they prefer the taste so It seems to be subjective.

Edited by Startmeup

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

All the bottled water you buy in shops is RO water.

I have fitted then in all our houses, carrying big bottles of water is not something you want to be doing.

How can mineral/spring water from the shop be RO water. 
I dont think thats accurate, that defeats the purposes of it being mineral/spring water. 

All I drink right now is bottled water but i want to filter out any microplastics/other that comes from using bottled water. Plus It's a pain in the ass buying 2 x 8 1.5L  pack bottles of water every week.

Edited by Startmeup

1 minute ago, Startmeup said:

I dont think thats accurate, that defeats the purposes of it being mineral/spring water. 

Very little of the water you can buy is anything other than RO water, all the cheap Thai brands are RO. I grant you Evian etc are spring water but they are massively more expensive.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Some water has added minerals, but Aura and Mt fleur is spring water which i buy.....

And i know im gonna get burned for this but i do buy Evian. All delivered to my door thanks to grab

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

reverse osmosis is the worst tasting water money can buy 

Agree. Also it doesn’t contain the essential minerals found in normal water; it can give you diarrhoea …and bottled water is so ridiculously cheap anyway, so why bother. 

9 hours ago, Nemises said:

Agree. Also it doesn’t contain the essential minerals found in normal water; it can give you diarrhoea …and bottled water is so ridiculously cheap anyway, so why bother. 

There are no essential minerals in normal water that can not be obtained elsewhere.  Bottled water is normally RO water these days.

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There are no essential minerals in normal water that can not be obtained elsewhere.

So instead of drinking (the ridiculously cheap) normal water, become a cheap Charlie by drinking RO water and then go elsewhere to get the minerals that the RO water doesn’t provide. Livin’ the dream. 🤣