Zopiclone 7.5 mg Availability in Thailand?

Moved to health forum.

It is illegal to buy this over the counter. Only hospitals and clinics. 

It is also now off market in Thailand. But some hospitals may still have stock.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

13 hours ago, Microwave said:

Thank you Sheryl!  By off market do you mean that it's no longer prescribed and not used in Thailand even by hospitals?

It means the manufacturer no longer  supplies this drug to  Thai distributors. . Typically a financial decision based on low sales. 

If a hospital still has unexpired product in stock their doctors may continue to prescribe it but once they run out (or it expires) the hospital will not be readily able to get more.  

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

You may be able to find zolpidem (Ambien) but it's expensive and again, it can only be acquired from a hospital. One common thing about Thailand - they are extremely adverse to prescribing anything that is effective for pain or for sleep.  Palliative medicine here in Thailand is in the stone-ages and it seems to be getting worse, not better.  Even melatonin which many here would like to take is becoming a pain-in-the-butt to find and purchase.  However if it is only for occasional insomnia, then benzodizepines like diazepam are widely available from clinics.  However you don't every want to become physically dependent on benzos.  Not a good choice for those who tend toward addictive behavior. 

• Love It 1

Thank you connda.  I was prescribed ambien awhile back and it made me do things that I don't recall doing, so stopped using it.  I was later prescribed temazepam which helped a lot, but I took it on an as needed basis and never developed a dependency.  I've also taken zopiclone, also on an as needed basis.  I know that temazepam is near impossible to be prescribed in Thailand and was curious if zopiclone was prescribed in Thailand as I've had a positive experience with zopiclone. 

I had a wretched life experience years ago (not in Thailand) which left me with PTSD and chronic insomnia.  I've come a long way since this experience yet find that I still occasionally need help with sleep.  I'm considering moving to Thailand (where I've spent much of my life before this experience) and am curious about the availability of sleep aids in Thailand.  

Thanks!

I take 10mg Zolpidem most nights.  I have a condition which causes me to wake 20-30 times a night if not.  

I Have done sleep tests and it’s not sleep apnea.  The Thai Zolpidem is manufactured in India under the Brand name Zydus.  As Cheryl mentioned distribution is strictly controlled.  

I do see a neurologist at Bangkok Hospital every two months for this prescription and other meds that help me sleep.  

It is quite expensive but the product is available through the hospital but most health funds won’t cover so it’s an out of pocket expense. 

I do buy over the counter in Hong Kong through a Pharmacist I’ve known for years. It is much cheaper and I carry my prescription with me in case I am pulled up at customs - fortunately this has never happened.  

Insomnia is terrible.   I’ve tried everything else from total exhaustion through exercise to meditation and diet. Even Ganja!   But it’s only the Zolpidem and some other medicines that allow me a decent sleep. 

Those who don’t suffer this affliction, like many maladies of the mind, are often quick to judge we who depend on medicine for rest.  After feeling guilty for taking Zolpidem I have listened to my neurologist who tells me sleep is as important as exercise and eating so I take my medicine and sleep

some. 

Good luck to you friend.  I hope you find the land of Morpheus.  

44 minutes ago, Microwave said:

I had a wretched life experience years ago (not in Thailand) which left me with PTSD and chronic insomnia.

I can sympathize.  I had situations after the death of my daughter that quite literally would find me waking up screaming.  I went to a shrink once here in Thailand who was worthless.  Buddhist meditation (Forest Tradition) is a better avenue.  I haven't had one of those "wake up screaming" dreams for a few years, so something in me has healed.  But chronic insomnia is a constant issue although my problem is initially getting to sleep.  Once asleep I tend to be able to stay asleep other then "old man" peeing issue, but I usually fall back asleep easily enough.  But I take melatonin nightly and make sure the room is as dark as I can get it as for me it tends to work although it still takes me upwards of an hour to an hour and a half to get to sleep.  If I absolutely need to get to sleep and wake up the next morning without a sleep hangover I'll take 10 mg of diazepam (prescribed by a doctor). But I use diazepam rarely and prefer melatonin.  Although it has a rather long half-life, I don't wake up groggy at all.  I shy away from short-term benzos like Xanax as they can rebound and cause drug induced anxiety.  Regarding breath meditation.  It's worthwhile to practice as you can eventually focus entirely on the breath and let thoughts arise and pass away without dwelling on them.  I use that technique to fall back asleep after I wake up at night.  You'll find you mind what's to attach to thoughts, but you can get to the point where you remain with the breath and your mind becomes Teflon, and then watch as the thoughts turn into hypnagogic imagery and the next thing you know you're asleep.  Just a suggestion.