Jump to content

workaround to install Win11 on 'Unsupported' PC


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I don't really use Windows except on a virtual machine for those programs that I use rarely that are only available as a Windows executable.

 

I came across this article and it may be of use to some AN members.

 

https://lifehacker.com/tech/how-to-upgrade-your-unsupported-pc-to-windows-11

 

 

 

We have several experts here on this subject. But I hear M'soft is getting more anal about promoting Win 11 to those still on Win 10, so it's good to be reminded of the workaround, for those still unaware but interested.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Celsius said:

It blew in 95 and it still blows today.

 

However, with the death of Amiga computers I have no other alternative.

I think it was '86 and I had made a big score playing on a blackjack team (3 friends and I) so I bought an Amiga 1000.

 

The clerk was surprised when I paid for it using a couple of 'pink cards' that I retrieved from my shoe.  Only other Canucks will know what those were.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Celsius said:

It blew in 95 and it still blows today.

 

However, with the death of Amiga computers I have no other alternative.

 

Win 7 is still commonly held in high regard.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2024 at 12:28 PM, gamb00ler said:

I came across this article and it may be of use to some AN members.

 

https://lifehacker.com/tech/how-to-upgrade-your-unsupported-pc-to-windows-11

 

Thanks for posting that...Yes, there have been many such "how to upgrade" hacks published for Win 10 users who have perfectly functional PCs that don't meet Microsoft's hardware requirements for Win 11...

 

The Win 10 laptop I'm typing on right now is one of those... Thus far, I've held off on doing the Win 11 hacks, because I was hoping to see/hear a bit more about people's experience with having Win 11 on a technically unsupported Win 10 machine.

 

I also was wondering whether, as time passed, Microsoft might relent and relax its hardware requirements for Win 11... But I don't believe they've done that thus far....

 

However, I did read the other day about how MS now will be offering businesses and academic users the option to PAY for continued Win 10 support and security updates after when the expiration deadline arrives in 2025.

 

The listed price for students was gonna be dirt cheap. The business price was pretty expensive. And as of the report I read the other day, MS had not yet made public what its intended pricing for extended support for Win 10 consumer users was going to be.

 

In the end, I'll probably wait until 2025 and see if my current Win 10 laptop is still functional then, or if I've decided in the meantime  to get a new Win 11 compatible machine.... And if I haven't done that, at that point, I'll probably try the Win 11 hack.

 

FWIW, I had to replace my even older Win 10 desktop a few months back because of hardware failures, and ended up getting a new Win 11 micro PC made by Dell... Thus far, despite various differences, the Win 11 experience for me hasn't been much different than it was on the prior Win 10 machine.

 

PS - Originally, I was excited that MS had teamed with Amazon to make Android apps available to run within Windows 11, which I thought was a great thing. But now lately, MS has announced they're killing that functionality and existing installed Android apps within Win 11 will cease functioning by March 2025... YEESH!

 

https://www.uctoday.com/unified-communications/microsoft-removes-support-for-android-apps-on-windows-11/

 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Of course, mainly by Thai Government Depts and Banks.

Some have upgraded to XP !

 

By actual IT gurus, not the self-appointed, as I know from reading the real computer forums daily.

 

I didn't say they use it; many in fact use Linux; but they do hold it in fond regard.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

However, I did read the other day about how MS now will be offering businesses and academic users the option to PAY for continued Win 10 support and security updates after when the expiration deadline arrives in 2025.

 

Keep good backups (as you should anyway), run a weekly scan w/ Malwarebytes (or go premium), and Win 10 will be good for many more years. I might mention Linux as an option. It's come far and is quite usable. Lot of Windows software can run under Wine; or you can run Windows in a virtual machine.

 

It's an effort, and you'll need to know what you're doing, but you can find and install Win 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021. It'll receive security support until 2031. Note: IoT. Grey market keys are sold by a few sources, or you can apply a hack (not recommended). I run a copy on my spare box; it's great, lacks the bloat and nonsense of Win 10 Pro.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

It's an effort, and you'll need to know what you're doing, but you can find and install Win 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021. It'll receive security support until 2031. Note: IoT. Grey market keys are sold by a few sources, or you can apply a hack (not recommended). I run a copy on my spare box; it's great, lacks the bloat and nonsense of Win 10 Pro.

 

I'm fine with Windows 10 or 11 as my home / consumer PC platform OS... And anytime someone is buying new hardware at this point, unless they buy it bare, it's going to come with the W11 install. Time is eventually going to make the transition happen for most folks.

 

A few months back, for other reasons (not the Win 10-11 issue), I bought my first ever Chromebook laptop... I wanted something lighter to carry when traveling vs my heavier and larger Win 10 laptop at home... Have taken the Chromebook on a few recent domestic trips here in Thailand, and it's served the purpose as a traveling stopgap... But I could never see it as a replacement for my full-time home computing needs.

 

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A few months back, for other reasons (not the Win 10-11 issue), I bought my first ever Chromebook laptop... I wanted something lighter to carry when traveling vs my heavier and larger Win 10 laptop at home... Have taken the Chromebook on a few recent domestic trips here in Thailand, and it's served the purpose as a traveling stopgap... But I could never see it as a replacement for my full-time home computing needs.

 

I'm totally with you on that. Light is key. I could easily use a Chromebook for shorter trips. I often make do with just a tablet and sometimes a bluetooth portable keyboard. I have a cheap old tablet and a cheap, used, fairly light laptop for longer trips. So I wouldn't much care if a room maid steals those dogs: help yourself, baby. And good luck w/ the encryption, ha ha.

 

At home, gotta have a good desktop. 🙂 

 

Edited by BigStar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wanted something lighter to carry when traveling vs my heavier and larger Win 10 laptop

My Asus Vivo running W11 weighs 1.4 kg. Not the most inconvenient to carry as opposed to buying ANOTHER Chromebook laptop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have updated to windows 11 on a couple of computers using a hack, works well. Get the monthly updates, but not the update to 23H2 which I have been informed I will not get.

Has anyone got the update to 23H2 using a hack?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A few months back, for other reasons (not the Win 10-11 issue), I bought my first ever Chromebook laptop... I wanted something lighter to carry when traveling vs my heavier and larger Win 10 laptop at home... Have taken the Chromebook on a few recent domestic trips here in Thailand, and it's served the purpose as a traveling stopgap... But I could never see it as a replacement for my full-time home computing needs.

Agree with the sentiment. I bought a Lenovo Chromebook a few years back for travelling but didn't like the operating system. Replaced it about a year later for the same model with Win10.

Much easier for travelling but not a lot of use at home other than watching TV on the verandah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, elfpattaya said:

I have updated to windows 11 on a couple of computers using a hack, works well. Get the monthly updates, but not the update to 23H2 which I have been informed I will not get.

Has anyone got the update to 23H2 using a hack?

Here's where I get my Windows operating systems from. For a decade or so. Never any problem. https://zone94.com/downloads/software/operating-systems/160-windows-11-23h2-16in1-x64-integral-edition

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

My Asus Vivo running W11 weighs 1.4 kg. Not the most inconvenient to carry as opposed to buying ANOTHER Chromebook laptop.

Same here. Nice and thin, VivoBook 15 (X1502). 16GB RAM enough for a basic user and not expensive.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2024 at 12:28 PM, gamb00ler said:

I don't really use Windows except on a virtual machine for those programs that I use rarely that are only available as a Windows executable.

 

I came across this article and it may be of use to some AN members.

 

https://lifehacker.com/tech/how-to-upgrade-your-unsupported-pc-to-windows-11

 

 

 

Further tip on installation if interested:

 

How to Set up Windows 11 Without a Microsoft Account

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/19/2024 at 12:51 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But now lately, MS has announced they're killing that functionality and existing installed Android apps within Win 11 will cease functioning by March 2025... YEESH!

So install Bluestacks, and ANY Android app can be installed and run. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

So install Bluestacks, and ANY Android app can be installed and run. 

 

Ya, I had and used Bluestacks before, and the experience was a bit buggy on my PC where I had installed it.

 

I uninstalled Bluestacks after the MS Win 11 Android store became available... But from now on, I'll probably just rely more on my Android TV streaming boxes or a large Android tablet I have when I want/need Android apps.

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...