SIM card with an Australian phone number

One of the Australian establishments I am engaging with is implementing a two-factor authentication system, which mandates an Australian mobile number for registration.

The issue arises from my residence in Thailand, as the Australian establishment is unwilling to adapt the two-factor system to support an overseas mobile phone number.

I need a SIM card with an Australian mobile phone number that can be used and accessed in Thailand, allowing me to receive 'push notifications' or SMS messages from the Australian establishment. I can provide a dedicated smartphone for such a card.

The SIM card provider would have to mail the card to my address in Thailand and payment including top-up payments would be made by either AMEX, Bpay or 'Pay Anyone'.

Are there any SIM cards available that meet these requirements?

Not Oz, but I'm using Google Fi from the USA.  Not sure if it's available in Oz. 

But:

1) I had to sign up with a US address.  (OP may want to say whether he's got family back home that can receive the SIM and send it to him)

2) After a few months overseas, my plan no longer supports the data roaming feature.  Just phone and text.  Apparently, if I was military on a foreign assignment, int'l data roaming is available.  The messages say it'll work fine when I get back to the USA.

Works for phone and text in Thailand and China where I've been spending the last year.  I keep it as SIM1 in my 2 SIM phone, alternating between a China SIM and a Thai SIM (AIS) depending on where I land.  That gives me the data...

Edited by impulse

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Not Oz, but I'm using Google Fi from the USA.  Not sure if it's available in Oz. 

But:

1) I had to sign up with a US address.  (OP may want to say whether he's got family back home that can receive the SIM and send it to him)

2) After a few months overseas, my plan no longer supports the data roaming feature.  Just phone and text.  Apparently, if I was military on a foreign assignment, int'l data roaming is available.  The messages say it'll work fine when I get back to the USA.

Works for phone and text in Thailand and China where I've been spending the last year.  I keep it as SIM1 in my 2 SIM phone, alternating between a China SIM and a Thai SIM (AIS) depending on where I land.  That gives me the data...

So very helpful for the OP's Australian topic🤔

2 hours ago, StraightTalk said:

One of the Australian establishments I am engaging with is implementing a two-factor authentication system, which mandates an Australian mobile number for registration.

The issue arises from my residence in Thailand, as the Australian establishment is unwilling to adapt the two-factor system to support an overseas mobile phone number.

I need a SIM card with an Australian mobile phone number that can be used and accessed in Thailand, allowing me to receive 'push notifications' or SMS messages from the Australian establishment. I can provide a dedicated smartphone for such a card.

The SIM card provider would have to mail the card to my address in Thailand and payment including top-up payments would be made by either AMEX, Bpay or 'Pay Anyone'.

Are there any SIM cards available that meet these requirements?

There are many....Aldi mobile, Amaysim etc. This topic was discussed extensively.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

OP may want to say whether he's got family back home that can receive the SIM and send it to him

I no longer have any contacts in Australia. The SIM card provider would have to mail the card to my address in Thailand and payment including top-up payments would be made by either AMEX, Bpay or 'Pay Anyone'.

53 minutes ago, gearbox said:

There are many....Aldi mobile, Amaysim etc. This topic was discussed extensively.

Aldi and Amaysim do not deliver Sim cards overseas. The SIM card provider would have to mail the card to my address in Thailand and payment including top-up payments would be made by either AMEX, Bpay or 'Pay Anyone'.

22 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

Aldi and Amaysim do not deliver Sim cards overseas. The SIM card provider would have to mail the card to my address in Thailand and payment including top-up payments would be made by either AMEX, Bpay or 'Pay Anyone'.

Try Amaysim esim, but I'm not sure if you can activate it in Thailand. I've heard people being able to activate dtac esims outside Thailand.

Of course your phone should must support esim.

16 hours ago, StraightTalk said:

I e-mailed amaysim, they and will get back to me within 2 business days.

Response:

[quote]

maysim SIM cards can be deliver within Australia only. However, if your device is compatible to eSIM, you can purchase a plan to us and choose eSIM as your preferred type of SIM.
What is an eSIM?
An eSIM is a digital SIM you can download onto a compatible phone, tablet or watch.
Unlike a traditional plastic SIM that you physically insert into the SIM card slot on your device, an eSIM lets you quickly download, activate and connect your mobile phone number to a cellular network."

[\quote]

Not suitable for my requirements.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

Response:

[quote]

maysim SIM cards can be deliver within Australia only. However, if your device is compatible to eSIM, you can purchase a plan to us and choose eSIM as your preferred type of SIM.
What is an eSIM?
An eSIM is a digital SIM you can download onto a compatible phone, tablet or watch.
Unlike a traditional plastic SIM that you physically insert into the SIM card slot on your device, an eSIM lets you quickly download, activate and connect your mobile phone number to a cellular network."

[\quote]

Not suitable for my requirements.

Thanks for letting us know. My most recent mobile is an iPhone 8 Plus. Whilst 5th Generation isn't yet available either where I am or in my home town, I think it's time to embrace newer technology. eSIM's seem to be the way to go for a simpler life.