Passport expiry

My experience in this situation is that an extension will/can be granted up until the date of expiry of  current passport.

That was a change from when an annual extension was granted as per norm and it required a transfer to  new passport.

That now does not happen. The renewal of  extension to be  stamped into new passport is done as per any annual extension and at same  cost regardless of if previous extension was granted for maybe  2 months  before passport expiry date.

• Thumbs Up 1

A permission of stay is only given to pp expiry.

Provide more details of your situation for more detailed advice.

Are you currently in Thailand. 

What type of extension are you asking about etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

A permission of stay is only given to pp expiry.

Provide more details of your situation for more detailed advice.

Are you currently in Thailand. 

What type of extension are you asking about etc

Question was, will immigration give a new permission to stay up to passport expiry or do I need to have 6 months prior to expiry?

I'm in Thailand with Non O retirement visa.

12 minutes ago, graeme72 said:

Question was, will immigration give a new permission to stay up to passport expiry or do I need to have 6 months prior to expiry?

I'm in Thailand with Non O retirement visa.

And I answered. 

You can apply for any extension and it's "until date" will be same as pp expiry date.

Also if you subsequently obtain new pp that permission of stay will not be altered.

Life time ago I believe that it was.

Not now

• Like 1

5 hours ago, graeme72 said:

You can have less than 6 months validity left on your passport, but your extension (a permit, not a visa) will only be granted up to the expiry date of the passport.

After obtaining a new passport, have the stamps transferred, then apply for a further 1 year extension before your last extension expiry date.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, 0ffshore360 said:

That was a change from when an annual extension was granted as per norm and it required a transfer to  new passport.

Never heard of this, when did it change? (seems unlikely as how could you have a valid permission to stay with an invalid passport?)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Never heard of this, when did it change? (seems unlikely as how could you have a valid permission to stay with an invalid passport?)

You are right. I need amend my comment derived from memory . The first time I needed to update my passport while an extension of stay was given at a time my original had more than 6 months validity that permission was given for the ensuing 1 year validity. Present New passport and transfer of stamps done and at no charge.

Years later when once again I had to renew permission to stay and passport was valid for less than a year the permission was granted only up until the date of passport expiry.

I only noticed that after leaving Imm. office so went back to ask about. I was very brusquely informed that when I  got a new passport I would be required to apply for a new extension as from extension expiry date.

While I was lucky to have checked  rather than assume old protocols existed I was also disappointed in the fact that it moved my extension expiry/renewal date to a less convenient time of year ( July ) instead of Feb as it had been. Less convenient for personal travel reasons.

That happened about 12 years back if memory serves me correctly.

The same way you could, and still can, have a valid visa in an expired passport.  You could not stay beyond passport expiration date but by presenting both passports the full year could be updated and was available without further cost.  Believe that changed about 20 or more years ago and since then you only obtain total extension until current passport expiration date.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thumbs Up 1

now they only issue to passport expiry date

Edited by steve187
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, graeme72 said:

Is it necessary to have 6 months of passport validity (before expiry) to get a new permission to stay? 

Thanks.

No but your permission to stay will end when your passport does.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Also if you subsequently obtain new pp that permission of stay will not be altered.

Not now

That changed in 2013.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, 0ffshore360 said:

It changed in 2013   TTBOMK

Generally speaking passports become expired, not invalid, people often travel with both old and new when needing to use stamp/visa in the old.

Expired passports are still a valid form of ID, in the UK you can fly domestic on an expired passport for up to 5 years after expiry.

43 minutes ago, steve187 said:

previously immigration would issue a 1 year extension with a valid to date beyond the passport expiry date, but now they only issue to passport expiry date

It was several years or so ago that I had a passport expiring (April) before my normal one year extension period ended (July).  Immigration gave me an extension up to the passport expiry date (April).  When I received my new passport, they transferred my stamps and further extended my stay to my previous annual renewal date of July with no additional fee charged for the further extension.  

Subsequently, they changed the rules.  If your passport expires in less than one year, they will grant an extension up to the expiry date of the passport.  When you receive your new passport, they will transfer stamps but not extend the current period of stay.  Before that period of stay ends (usually 30 but in some Offices 45 days before) you can apply of a one year extension of stay and pay the fee. Thus creating a new annual renewal date.

For example passport expires in April, normal extension renewal is July.   Extension will be granted until April.  When a new  passport is issued the stamps are transferred and before the April expiry date, you apply for a new extension, pay the fee, and the extension will expire one year later (April).  

I just renewed my passport as it was set to expire in April 2025 with my next renewal due in July 2024.  I have just now received my new USA passport and will transfer the stamps at the same time as I do my next 90 day address report in early May (I have to do the address report in person as it cannot be done online as passport numbers will not match with previous online reports).  I renewed my passport more than one year before expiry date so that my next renewal will continue to be for a full year (July 2025).

Edited by soisanuk
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

It was several years or so ago that I had a passport expiring (April) before my normal one year extension period ended (July).  Immigration gave me an extension up to the passport expiry date (April).  When I received my new passport, they transferred my stamps and further extended my stay to my previous annual renewal date of July with no additional fee charged for the further extension.  

Subsequently, they changed the rules.  If your passport expires in less than one year, they will grant an extension up to the expiry date of the passport.  When you receive your new passport, they will transfer stamps but not extend the current period of stay.  Before that period of stay ends (usually 30 but in some Offices 45 days before) you can apply of a one year extension of stay and pay the fee. Thus creating a new annual renewal date.

For example passport expires in April, normal extension renewal is July.   Extension will be granted until April.  When a new  passport is issued the stamps are transferred and before the April expiry date, you apply for a new extension, pay the fee, and the extension will expire one year later (April).  

I just renewed my passport as it was set to expire in April 2025 with my next renewal due in July 2024.  I have just now received my new USA passport and will transfer the stamps at the same time as I do my next 90 day address report in early May (I have to do the address report in person as it cannot be done online as passport numbers will not match with previous online reports).  I renewed my passport more than one year before expiry date so that my next renewal will continue to be for a full year (July 2025).

iam the same with a yearly extension due early December and a passport expiring in May 2025, so need to renew passport before November

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I received one year permission to stay when I had 8 months left on my passport, this was last July.

On receiving my new passport they copied everything over.

PE Visa.

That could be an exception to the general rule, as you still have a valid multiple entry visa.

The majority of long stay folk, have expired Non O visa's and just extend their permits of stay one year at a time.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, graeme72 said:

Is it necessary to have 6 months of passport validity (before expiry) to get a new permission to stay? 

Thanks.

No – if you are talking about extension of stay; upon entry you need 6 months – but your extension of stay will not be longer than your passport is valid.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

No – if you are talking about extension of stay; upon entry you need 6 months – but your extension of stay will not be longer than your passport is valid.

I believe the rules changed some time ago. Now, upon entry, your passport only needs to be valid for the length of stay (30, 60, & 90 days for Visa Exempt, Tourist, & Non-Immigrant). 

However, if you are applying for a Visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate, I believe the Ministry of Foreign Affairs still requires you to have 6 months validity.

6 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I received one year permission to stay when I had 8 months left on my passport, this was last July.

On receiving my new passport they copied everything over.

PE Visa.

different rules for yearly extensions

On 4/20/2024 at 8:39 AM, soisanuk said:

I believe the rules changed some time ago. Now, upon entry, your passport only needs to be valid for the length of stay (30, 60, & 90 days for Visa Exempt, Tourist, & Non-Immigrant). 

However, if you are applying for a Visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate, I believe the Ministry of Foreign Affairs still requires you to have 6 months validity.

Haven't heard that – interesting – do you have a quote-link to the change?

On 4/19/2024 at 7:57 PM, DrJack54 said:

And I answered. 

You can apply for any extension and it's "until date" will be same as pp expiry date.

Not now

Thank you.

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

Haven't heard that – interesting – do you have a quote-link to the change?

Here are two Thai Embassy/Consulate sources showing 6 month validity required for obtaining a Visa:

https://cgchicago.thaiembassy.org/en/page/tourist-visa-requirements

Single Entry Tourist Visa

• Your actual Passport or Travel Document.
(Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page) - include a copy of "picture-page" of the passport.

http://www.thaiembassyjakarta.com/en/consular-services/important-information-on-visa-application/

Passport with at least two blank pages left, valid for at least six months from the expected date of arrival in Thailand.

Here is a link to an Aseannow.com thread that comments on less than 6 months is okay for entry into Thailand (it also has several comments saying 6 months required along with comments that that information is incorrect.   
- https://aseannow.com/topic/1294708-passport-validity-requirements/

IMO the references to the  IATA website requirements, which is used by most airlines to determine eligibility for entry shows that if you have a passport that expires in less than 6 months but later than the period of stay in Thailand, then entry will be permitted, e.g.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:21 PM, khunPer said:

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2024 at 1:02 AM, Liquorice said:

You can have less than 6 months validity left on your passport, but your extension (a permit, not a visa) will only be granted up to the expiry date of the passport.

After obtaining a new passport, have the stamps transferred, then apply for a further 1 year extension before your last extension expiry date.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Here are two Thai Embassy/Consulate sources showing 6 month validity required for obtaining a Visa:

https://cgchicago.thaiembassy.org/en/page/tourist-visa-requirements

Single Entry Tourist Visa

• Your actual Passport or Travel Document.
(Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page) - include a copy of "picture-page" of the passport.

http://www.thaiembassyjakarta.com/en/consular-services/important-information-on-visa-application/

Passport with at least two blank pages left, valid for at least six months from the expected date of arrival in Thailand.

Here is a link to an Aseannow.com thread that comments on less than 6 months is okay for entry into Thailand (it also has several comments saying 6 months required along with comments that that information is incorrect.   
- https://aseannow.com/topic/1294708-passport-validity-requirements/

IMO the references to the  IATA website requirements, which is used by most airlines to determine eligibility for entry shows that if you have a passport that expires in less than 6 months but later than the period of stay in Thailand, then entry will be permitted, e.g.

The talk/question was about domestic possibilities. When doing so-called visa run, you leave Thailand and re-enters. I believe we all know that, that is a possibility...:smile:

• Thanks 1