Walking route to/from the airport

Just curious: is there a way for someone to reach the BKK Airport terminal on foot from the outside (Lat Krabang)?

In particular, I am interested in actual walkable paths, not risking my life on the busy, clearly-not-suitable-for-pedestrian, roads leading directly to the terminal.

Edited by MarcelV

It's only just possible to walk to the end of a soi here, never mind BKK. Sorry I can't be more help other than to say it's at least 3-4 KM on the overhead road to the terminal by vehicle.  Try dragging the little man down from the corner of google maps and see if it shows  a route.

This brings a whole new meaning to the term “Cheap Charlie”.

I’m all for exercise but on the day of departure/arrival transport is the best option.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Actually, it is possible.  Try this . 3hours 40 minutes dragging your luggage. Should be fun in this temperature.image.thumb.png.a9fb79f17c16270098ec7e0aecfef12d.png

Not doing it with luggage. Have to drop a rental car first, so can walk without carrying anything.

But, is this a viable route? Parts of it look accessible to motorized traffic only.

Dont the rental have shuttle service or parking drop at the airport? 

In this heat walking, and then fly out? Or you saving money for massage and shower? Lounge ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Dont the rental have shuttle service or parking drop at the airport? 

In this heat walking, and then fly out? Or you saving money for massage and shower? Lounge ? 

Not asking for justification.

I love walking, especially when unobstructed by a suitcase. My hotel will be right outside of the airport. In theory, at least, could I walk there from Suvarnabhumi?

I don't know about that airport route, but Google maps has sent me on walks the wrong way on an expressway in Bangkok.  And crossing over expressway entrances with no crosswalk.  Believe them at your own risk.

Depends where your rental company drop off is, I would think.  You're asking the wrong people, without giving enough info.

Edited by KhunLA

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Depends where your rental company drop off is, I would think.  You're asking the wrong people, without giving enough info.

Drop-off is in front of the terminal.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, G_Money said:

This brings a whole new meaning to the term “Cheap Charlie”.

I’m all for exercise but on the day of departure/arrival transport is the best option.

Not the day of arrival or departure. Just dropping off a car at the terminal in the early evening, after dark. I love walking and my hotel will probably be close, in the King Kaew Rd./ Lat Krabang area, so why not? Not doing it to save money, but just for the heck of it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MarcelV said:

But, is this a viable route? Parts of it look accessible to motorized traffic only.

I guess @DaLa hasn't actually done it himself. Google clearly thinks it can be done, as it offers walking directions.

Unless you're lucky enough to find somebody who's already done it themselves, it's up to you if you trust Google. 

(edit) If you're not worried too much about the possibility of failure, you could always just try to follow the route, and if you do get stuck then just call a taxi to finish the journey off.

Edited by JayClay
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Not asking for justification.

I love walking, especially when unobstructed by a suitcase. My hotel will be right outside of the airport. In theory, at least, could I walk there from Suvarnabhumi?

Then it is not walking to the terminal, it is walking from terminal to hotel. 

Anyway, good luck

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

I guess @DaLa hasn't actually done it himself. Google clearly thinks it can be done, as it offers walking directions.

Unless you're lucky enough to find somebody who's already done it themselves, it's up to you if you trust Google. 

(edit) If you're not worried too much about the possibility of failure, you could always just try to follow the route, and if you do get stuck then just call a taxi to finish the journey off.

Guess that's gonna be the plan: just see how far I come, and hold a taxi whenever I get stuck.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

as I recall Suvarnabhumi Ring Road 1 (which is the inbound and outbound roads that are “off” and “on” ramps to the expressway are not equipped for walking - that is a proper footpath.

You can however walk as far as Ring 2 road , which is just outside of that .. This is the road where TG’s 24/7 Ops center is located.  From this point you’d need to catch one of the AoTs shuttles that make various loops around the airport property. 

There are walkways, foot paths etc INSIDE the airports “circle” area which is where the faculties like the Control Tower, the Novotel hotel and the parking complex are located.  but I do not recall that there is a way to access this point - on foot - from OUTside of the circle itself. 

• Thanks 1