Getting International Driving License in Bangkok for use overseas with a Thai License

Hi

I live in Bangkok

My British license has expired. I only have a Thai license

I wish to go to UK and Ireland for a holiday and may also visit USA.

I guess I need an International Drivers License (grey book) is that correct? How can I get one, and where, In Bangkok. Thank you so much

On 4/22/2024 at 1:09 AM, CrossBones said:

Hi

I live in Bangkok

My British license has expired. I only have a Thai license

I wish to go to UK and Ireland for a holiday and may also visit USA.

I guess I need an International Drivers License (grey book) is that correct? How can I get one, and where, In Bangkok. Thank you so much

I used my Thai driver's license in the US for several months last year before getting my US license renewed with no problem. No problem renting cars with it.

• Love It 1

I got an IDP using my 5 year Thai DL in my provincial capital DLT office in northern Thailand. Only two onerous elements. The first was the need to get a CoR from the IO but at least nowadays the IO don't need a request letter from the DLT. The second was that I had got a new passport and needed to get my Thai DL updated with it before they could issue an IDP. Despite that complication I was in the DLT office for maybe an hour and a half. Walked out with both a new Thai DL and the IDP.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/22/2024 at 8:08 AM, JBChiangRai said:

You can use your Thai driving licence in the UK for up to 6 months, I do it with rental companies there every couple of years.

I can't speak for America, but probably.

I have rented a car in USA, Canada UK & Germany with just a Thai Licence - the essential key is a Thai licence is a photo card and  dual Thai/English language that the rental company can read.  Sending a scan of Thai license when booking may be double check worth doing and blab about being a resident in Thailand to give context

On 4/22/2024 at 8:08 AM, JBChiangRai said:

You can use your Thai driving licence in the UK for up to 6 months, I do it with rental companies there every couple of years.

I can't speak for America, but probably.

We did a trip to the USA last year for one month. While being American, I no longer hold a U.S. state driver license. The care rental company presented no issue. Had a minor accident (not at fault). The police officer taking down the report had no issues when I presented my Thai Driver’s License.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Retfed50 said:

I used my Thai driver's license in the US for several months last year before getting my US license renewed with no problem. No problem renting cars with it.

Good to know, thanks.  Did you have to turn in  your Thai license when the DMV issued you a state license ?