Friend Arrest For Working Illegally With A Work Permit

my frined was arrested last night for working illegally.sory i mean for working legally. he had a work permit yet they still areested him.

his is still in the police station.

turned out they were after someone else got the wrong person yet he is still in custerdy and has to go to court on monday.

now the person they were after can run into the hills

Edited by BigC

It is strange that they would arrest someone that has the work permit and is in full compliance, unless he is working in one of the prohibited fields. Maybe they found something else when checking out your friend.

After all they have so many totally illegal people to choose from that it is ridiculous. In Kamphaeng Phet province, where I live, I can think of more than a half a dozen farang when trying to think of people working without a work permit and earning a living, or even working in prohibited professions such as farming or the alltogether nightime lumber industry.

I must admit that sometimes I feel foolish that I chose the legalized method of running my business, when see others than even go as far as to flaunt their status.

Oh well, at least I can rest easy knowing that I am in compliance and hoepfully safe from the grasp of the enforcement agencies.

Being in "custerdy" is certainly a sticky situation.

But seriously, a person is only allowed to work for the company/institution that is shown in the work permit. Maybe your friend was moonlighting at another place, which would be illegal.

Being in "custerdy" is certainly a sticky situation.

But seriously, a person is only allowed to work for the company/institution that is shown in the work permit. Maybe your friend was moonlighting at another place, which would be illegal.

Where was your friend working ?

Also, it is necessary to have the correct address. I know of someone who had moved their business but hadn't yet changed the address on the wp. Mind, he was not arrested, merely fined. But then there is the story of the German architect who was arrested and deported for working in a forbidden category. He had a WP to work as a consultant but was doing far more than just consulting.

well, some important information missing in this post!

There got to be something fishy...!

Nobody gets arrested for nothing!

Exactaly! what job was he 'working' as the timeshare lot all have work permits, but they still get nicked as there work permits are for the resort and not the streets!

They would not arrest someone for doing nothing if he had a work permit, more to this i think!

Exactaly! what job was he 'working' as the timeshare lot all have work permits, but they still get nicked as there work permits are for the resort and not the streets!

They would not arrest someone for doing nothing if he had a work permit, more to this i think!

if the address on the work permit is one digit out then its void,wont be going to court till tuesday ,its a public holiday on monday .............

if the address on the work permit is one digit out then its void,wont be going to court till tuesday ,its a public holiday on monday .............

It is refreshing to read so naïve messages on a KohSamui forum !

Here, I suppose, it is like everywhere else, the police never makes mistakes.

And it is the reason why, when you ask a young thaï boy "what do you want to do when you're grownup", so many answer "Police" !

It is strange that they would arrest someone that has the work permit and is in full compliance, unless he is working in one of the prohibited fields. Maybe they found something else when checking out your friend.

After all they have so many totally illegal people to choose from that it is ridiculous. In Kamphaeng Phet province, where I live, I can think of more than a half a dozen farang when trying to think of people working without a work permit and earning a living, or even working in prohibited professions such as farming or the alltogether nightime lumber industry.

I must admit that sometimes I feel foolish that I chose the legalized method of running my business, when see others than even go as far as to flaunt their status.

Oh well, at least I can rest easy knowing that I am in compliance and hoepfully safe from the grasp of the enforcement agencies.

u cannot rest easily my friend because the country is so messed up at the moment that not even the police no what the laws are., they are as confused as us.

my freind had a work permit for the specific job he was doing. actually turned out they got the wrong person. the perosn they were after was on another shift.

he still spent a few night in the cells and has had to pay 30 000 baht bail money and has to rtn to court. not really want to write too much about this becuase the press have a bad tendancy to make things worse in these situations. he is to be tried next month. had he not paid he would stil be in the nick. nice place. infact he quite liked it. can;t wait to go back. only joking.

i don't want to say because him and the company he worked for are innocent but i sure you it was not time share people. i wouldn;t give a cross if they got pinched. they are the equivlient of brixton drug dealers

what a thai policeman never makes mistakes ????

I agrea on 1 thing you wrote there wqas definatly something fish. he wasn't a fisherman though. i can tell u that much

u cannot rest easily my friend because the country is so messed up at the moment that not even the police no what the laws are., they are as confused as us.

my freind had a work permit for the specific job he was doing. actually turned out they got the wrong person. the perosn they were after was on another shift.

he still spent a few night in the cells and has had to pay 30 000 baht bail money and has to rtn to court. not really want to write too much about this becuase the press have a bad tendancy to make things worse in these situations. he is to be tried next month. had he not paid he would stil be in the nick. nice place. infact he quite liked it. can;t wait to go back. only joking.

If they got the wrong person then what are they holding him for? What are the charges?

If they got the wrong person then what are they holding him for? What are the charges?

i don't want to comment anymore on this becuase it might mess things up.

Agree, Mouse. I felt the same. My favourites were the alternative "healthcare" people who claimed they could not get work permits (hmmm, no real degree, perhaps?) but worked anyway and charged Bt2,000 an hour. I knew a farang chiropractor and a somatics practitioner, who both had work permits. I think several illegals were forced to leave as many were on 30-day visas. I know one went home, started work and totally POed colleagues with her "I'm a doctor" and holier than thou attitude. Lasted a month or so. Quack.

people seem to be missing my point. i understand that people are hissed of about people working without permits. my point is my mate had one and still got arrested. so my main point is. are any of you safe. legal or illegal.

When your friend has a work permit, doesn't mean they didn't find something "else" on him! Especially when you're afraid to comment on it, no one knows you or your friend!

If he was arrested as in "arrested", I am sure it has nothing to do with a work permit.....there surely is more to it don't you think ?

I couldn't think of any reason being arrested for no reason (not even on Samui) !

When your friend has a work permit, doesn't mean they didn't find something "else" on him! Especially when you're afraid to comment on it, no one knows you or your friend!

If he was arrested as in "arrested", I am sure it has nothing to do with a work permit.....there surely is more to it don't you think ?

I couldn't think of any reason being arrested for no reason (not even on Samui) !

Agree, with SamuiCoconut, Samui police are laid back in that respect!

the story was simple. they ment to get someone on the other shift.

they made a cock up. no he didn;t have anything on him and his court day is done and dusted. he is a free man. it happened to my mates in england also they got arresdted and spent the night in the cells becuase of something someone else. did. if it could happen in england it could happen in samui.

someone smashed a window and ran. they were close to these people but had nothing to do with them. just walking close. then they sat down on a wall eating chips.

then a meet wagon turned up and nicked them becuase a witness in a car about half a km away said it was them.

yet they were release the next day with out charge.

I have the feeling that when they can, the police may use any visit to any location to go "fishing." Probably they held your friend just to be sure they didn't make a mistake, and then to make sure there wasn't any other opportunity waiting.

It's correct as previous posters have said that the address on the work permit is important- you are not technically allowed to work at other locations (though some posters have managed apparently to create a "roving" work permit)- and the type of work is important (i.e., you cannot be doing full-time computer network maintenance if your work permit says you are supposed to be a math teacher).

"Steven"

I have the feeling that when they can, the police may use any visit to any location to go "fishing." Probably they held your friend just to be sure they didn't make a mistake, and then to make sure there wasn't any other opportunity waiting.

It's correct as previous posters have said that the address on the work permit is important- you are not technically allowed to work at other locations (though some posters have managed apparently to create a "roving" work permit)- and the type of work is important (i.e., you cannot be doing full-time computer network maintenance if your work permit says you are supposed to be a math teacher).

"Steven"

that post is closer to the mark.