PM Srettha discusses interest rate cuts with bank chiefs

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, Peabody said:

What is the payoff for Sretta and his friends to keep calling for this rate reduction? 

isn't it all about vote-buying?  They want people to believe that there's a financial crisis so that they push through the digital wallet scheme and force interest rates down so that people don't pay as much on loans.  Something like that.

It's straight out of the playbook.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Peabody said:

What is the payoff for Sretta and his friends to keep calling for this rate reduction? 

I assume roughly the same as any government looking to cut interest rates :

- reduction in debt interest gives more room for corporate and personal spending, potential economic boost

- likely leading to a weaker Thai baht - good for exports & tourism

It would seem that inflation appears reasonably under control, so I would be asking the other Q - why are BoT not reducing interest rates from 2.5% ? 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavasin convened a meeting with top executives from four major banks to discuss potential interest rate reductions aimed at aiding vulnerable groups within the country

Clueless man.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, JackGats said:

Banks are businesses, not charitable institutions.

Yeah, businesses linked to tax payers money when bailouts are needed, who was it who said, "I  don't know what the greater crime is, to rob a bank or to ground one".

Politicians getting involved in economic issues is not usually a good idea.......  indicates ignorance usually.... dare we mention a short serving PM from somewhere?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Is there no way we can get rid of this fool

What's this "we" business?

Unless you're Thai you are just sitting at the back of the short bus. Pipe down and enjoy the ride.

Foreigners should cheer this on as it will weaken the baht. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Vote buying?

An expansion of credit enriches those at the top of the food chain as they get first dibs on newly created money.

The prols get inflation and a reduction in living standards. Or something along those lines.  With modern voting methods and ballot stuffing techniques there has to be a benefit other than votes to proceed with such a change. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, john donson said:

I want 5%+ on my savings here, like in USA, canada, australia....

lol

Have you got a strong p imp hand?  Loan sharking and running a few girls will get you there.