Odegaard - Arsenal's quiet 'captain marvel'

CharlieH

image.png

Mikel Arteta's decision to name Martin Odegaard as Arsenal captain in July 2022 was met with some scepticism at the time, but it has proved to be a stroke of genius.

The 25-year-old has led by example both on and off the field and could become the first Gunners captain to lift the Premier League title since Patrick Vieira in 2004.

Since arriving at Emirates Stadium from Real Madrid in January 2021, initially on loan, Odegaard has made a huge impact in north London.

BBC Sport looks at how the influence of Odegaard, who also captains his country Norway, has continued to grow during the Gunners' title-chasing campaign.

A decade ago, it was Arsenal boss Arteta who captained the Gunners for two seasons until his retirement in 2016, making him one of the best judges of character for assigning Odegaard to the role.

The Norwegian took over following the departures of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and interim captain Alexandre Lacazette.

When Odegaard was appointed skipper, Arteta said: "What I've seen over the past 18 months since he's been with us, he's represented the values of this football club, the team, the team-mates and the staff in the best possible way.

"He's also the captain of his national team and I think it was the right call, and I'm proud to announce that because I think he's a really good person to deliver that commitment to the club."

But it was a decision that came as a surprise to some supporters.

"I was a bit taken aback, purely based on his age," says Arsenal fan and YouTuber Pippa Monique.

READ MORE

sPORT-bbc.png