Cholecystectomy at Bumrungrad.

Had my Gallbladder removed 48 hours ago a Bumrungrad by Dr. Theerapol. I am amazed by the effectiveness of the laparoscopic procedure [as performed by Dr Theerapol]. No pain [and no food] at all during the the first 24 hours, some mild soreness since yesterday. Four meals  and even coffee so far, and no problems whatsoever,  I'll try salmon with a glass of white wine for lunch.

The downside being that I am going to get even fatter...

Once more, ladies and gentlemen, if you settle in Thailand make sure you have a proper health cover and you'll be safe. The above procedure costs about 270k, which is what you'd pay in Switzerland. But why not you'll get great doctors and great nurses.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

aren't you meant to keep fatty foods to a minimum now? which is a good idea anyway

That's what they recommend, it is said that the majority patients return to their normal diets after a few weeks. I won't try McDonald's to soon though..

I think we have to do our homework, I have eaten full fat yoghurt, croissant, danish, cheese, without the slightest but of stomach upset nor diarrhoea, if I pass the lunch (salmon and white wine) test I'll take my Lady to Fuji tomorrow. But I'll take imodium (as PEP not PREP) with me, just in case.

Edited by Ben Zioner

12 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

That's what they recommend, it is said that the majority patients return to their normal diets after a few weeks. I won't try McDonald's to soon though..

I think we have to do our homework, I have eaten full fat yoghurt, croissant, danish, cheese, without the slightest but of stomach upset nor diarrhoea, if I pass the lunch (salmon and white wine) test I'll take my Lady to Fuji tomorrow. But I'll take imodium (as PEP not PREP) with me, just in case.

Those charcoal tablet in 7 Eleven are better than imodium. A low fat diet is quite easy, i do it, just minimise junk food, once a week for ify stuff

14 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Had my Gallbladder removed 48 hours ago a Bumrungrad by Dr. Theerapol. I am amazed by the effectiveness of the laparoscopic procedure [as performed by Dr Theerapol]. No pain [and no food] at all during the the first 24 hours, some mild soreness since yesterday. Four meals  and even coffee so far, and no problems whatsoever,  I'll try salmon with a glass of white wine for lunch.

Once more, ladies and gentlemen, if you settle in Thailand make sure you have a proper health cover and you'll be safe. The above procedure costs about 270k, which is what you'd pay in Switzerland. But why not you'll get great doctors and great nurses.

I had mine done at the government hospital for around 25k. The two downsides, they use gas to put you under, and you are put in a room with 5 others afterward.

15 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Always good for a positive outcome..... over the past year I suspect my insurance has paid out a lot...  (about 700,000 baht in total) - its good to know that there are cheaper alternatives... i.e.  your 270k surgery can be had for 25k in a public hospital... 

How will you insure yourself in your late 60's and 70's... even 80's while here ???

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I had mine done at the government hospital for around 25k. The two downsides, they use gas to put you under, and you are put in a room with 5 others afterward.

And I wonder what the gas was like in a room of 5 guys who've just had a Cholecystectomy.... :whistling::giggle:

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

How will you insure yourself in your late 60's and 70's... even 80's while here ???

Well, I am 71 one, and I don't intend to drop my current cover, which includes also one of my daughters.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And I wonder what the gas was like in a room of 5 guys who've just had a Cholecystectomy.... :whistling::giggle:

No comment

Edited by Ben Zioner

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mstevens said:

Following a gallbladder removal, taking an ox bile supplement will help to digest foods high in fat. You can Google "ox bile supplement" for more info.

Right now everything is just dreamlike. Yesterday I had some delicious salmon lunch. We shared a bottle of white wine with my wife. Followed by apple crumble and coffee. Light dinner and a good night sleep.

And zero pain, I just can feel the cut under the ribs this morning, but a level of 1 to 2, and the last paracetamol was 8 hours ago.

Edited by Ben Zioner

11 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Don't they all use gas to put you out?

How did yours go?  Did you get it because you had symptoms?

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Always good for a positive outcome..... over the past year I suspect my insurance has paid out a lot...  (about 700,000 baht in total) - its good to know that there are cheaper alternatives... i.e.  your 270k surgery can be had for 25k in a public hospital... 

Note quite.

The 270k surgery was laparoscopic.

The 25k will have been open.

Only higher tier public hospitals can fo laparoscopic and this will cost more like 50k. Still much less than private, of course. 

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Note quite.

Only higher tier public hospitals can fo laparoscopic and this will cost more like 50k. Still much less than private, of course. 

I would add that the same package is offered for 210k at Medpark. But Cigna lists Bumrungrad as their preferred provider. And I must add that I am totally amazed by the quality of the service I got.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 18.42.39.png

On 4/28/2024 at 9:23 AM, Ben Zioner said:

costs about 270k

My friend did it (laparoscopic) in India, in a 5 star hospital there, total cost = USD 800

This was a month ago

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

My friend did it (laparoscopic) in India, in a 5 star hospital there, total cost = USD 800

This was a month ago

Not really relevant to us in Thailand. But as I said in my OP the prices we pay here are those of Swiss private medical care. Which leads me to believe that Thai Immigration's requirement for health cover are rock bottom.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Note quite.

No, mine was laparoscopic. 2 or 3 small holes. But like I said around 6 years ago. Can't even find them now. Just want to add it was at Suranari Korat

Edited by bunnydrops
addition

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think I was the only one in the room that had one. Not sure what the others were in for except one had a broken leg.

9 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I think I was the only one in the room that had one. Not sure what the others were in for except one had a broken leg.

And only one toilet for the 5 of you? Or maybe they got you catheterised? I know that some doctors do. I was a bit worried as I have one giant prostate, but they didn't. During the night I went to the toilet 5 or 6 times, had a weak flow and I had to drag the rip rig with me... They also said that could have a sore throat from intubation, but no trace of that either.

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

And only one toilet for the 5 of you? Or maybe they got you catheterised? I know that some doctors do. I was a bit worried as I have one giant prostate, but they didn't. During the night I went to the toilet 5 or 6 times, had a weak flow and I had to drag the rip rig with me... They also said that could have a sore throat from intubation, but no trace of that either.

Yes, one toilet. That reminded me of something else about that stay. Every day a woman around 50 years old would come with what I believe were young nursing students. The girls (about 10 of them) would surround my bed and the older one would ask me questions in Enghish. "Have you had a pee and poop yet Baby?", "Have you washed up yet Baby?". She would tell the girls what I answered and all the girls would smile at me in approval. The "Baby" bit was a little disarming🫤.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1