Nine Anti-coup Leaders Detained

george

Of course, if they get sick, then at least the protestors can enjoy substandard healthcare for 30b.

Actually, there is no 30 Baht system anymore. What we have now is a huge chaos - the gold card system. Lots of previously available medicine is not anymore, or has to be fully or partially paid for, depending on hospital or doctor. Some essential life saving medicine that was given under the 30 Baht system is now out of reach for poor patients. Recently, in my wife's family we had to have a collection going around because rather costly meningitis medicine had to be paid for suddenly. The same medicine was given out for free only three years ago to another uncle.

I am already dreading the coming bills for another relative who is in hospital right now.

Same substandard healthcare, only that it has to be paid for dearly now.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai anti-coup protest leaders may be detained for up to 48 days

The Associated Press

Published: July 26, 2007

BANGKOK, Thailand: Nine leaders of an anti-government protest in Thailand that turned violent and resulted in hundreds of injuries may be detained for up to 48 days without charge, police said Friday.

The nine suspects from the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship were detained Thursday after they appeared in court to hear police allegations against them, including causing a public disturbance, damaging state property, and injuring officials.

"It is a detention order and the police need to finish investigation within 48 days before forwarding the case to the attorney general's office," said police Col. Supisan Pakdeenarunart, a Bangkok metropolitan police spokesman.

snip

iht.com

aparently I need to repeat ................................

the fight is for Democracy not TRT .

Certainly there is a fight for democracy as a general struggle that occurs not only in Thailand but worldwide. It is questionable if the majority of those at SL are fighting for democracy or Mr. Thaksin however unlesss one is of the opinion that a fight for democracy can only be a fight for Mr. T and TRT to be returned as was, which some do argue. However, to argue that those at SL have rights to demonstrate and march reasonably etc would be a fight for democracy. I may not like what you are saying but I will fight for your right to say it kind of arguement

Peace

Of course, if they get sick, then at least the protestors can enjoy substandard healthcare for 30b.

Actually, there is no 30 Baht system anymore. What we have now is a huge chaos - the gold card system. Lots of previously available medicine is not anymore, or has to be fully or partially paid for, depending on hospital or doctor. Some essential life saving medicine that was given under the 30 Baht system is now out of reach for poor patients. Recently, in my wife's family we had to have a collection going around because rather costly meningitis medicine had to be paid for suddenly. The same medicine was given out for free only three years ago to another uncle.

I am already dreading the coming bills for another relative who is in hospital right now.

I've also had a similar experience. Which just goes to show the foolishness of setting up the scheme, without funding it properly, in the first place.

But this is a common (indeed .. universal ?) problem with social-medicine systems. Including back in the UK.

Fair credit to TRT for establishing at least some sort of system, as a tattered safety-net is better than none at all, and I'd say it is fairly unlikely that any future government would try to remove it, now that it's in-place.

I've also had a similar experience. Which just goes to show the foolishness of setting up the scheme, without funding it properly, in the first place.

But this is a common (indeed .. universal ?) problem with social-medicine systems. Including back in the UK.

Fair credit to TRT for establishing at least some sort of system, as a tattered safety-net is better than none at all, and I'd say it is fairly unlikely that any future government would try to remove it, now that it's in-place.

Someone faces the future poison chalice of working out a way to fund it. Tax increases? Rape the currently effective social security system? Link it to some new lottery?

I think you didn't get my post - there is no 30 baht scheme anymore, the gold card scheme of this government has replaced the universal scheme introduced under TRT, and essential life saving medicine that was available under the 30 baht scheme is now not.

The 30 baht scheme should have been improved, but instead it was scrapped altogether, such as almost every pro people policy TRT has introduced.

Well if they can be locked up for up to 48 days then that puts them in jail past the charter vote and takes much of the alleged wind out of their sails. I do expect a counter from Thaksin but as yet I don’t know what it would be. Perhaps another parade of farmers from Isaan.

I think you didn't get my post - there is no 30 baht scheme anymore, the gold card scheme of this government has replaced the universal scheme introduced under TRT, and essential life saving medicine that was available under the 30 baht scheme is now not.

The 30 baht scheme should have been improved, but instead it was scrapped altogether, such as almost every pro people policy TRT has introduced.

Any info? Links?

Last we all heard is that the scheme is the same but there's no 30 baht fee anymore.

Any info? Links?

Last we all heard is that the scheme is the same but there's no 30 baht fee anymore.

Only info i have is the recent medical bills i and others of the family had to make a collection for, containing the exact same medicine that three years ago was given for free, and after asking for reasons, having gotten this explanation by the doctors.

On another note, there are many things nowadays we don't get to hear about, thanks to the still continued presence of the military in news offices, screening which news is allowed out, and which is not. But no, we don't have any censorship in Thailand...

Any info? Links?

Only info i have is the recent medical bills i and others of the family had to make a collection for, containing the exact same medicine that three years ago was given for free, and after asking for reasons, having gotten this explanation by the doctors.

On another note, there are many things nowadays we don't get to hear about, thanks to the still continued presence of the military in news offices, screening which news is allowed out, and which is not. But no, we don't have any censorship in Thailand...

I thought that this new Military appointed government was meant to be the bees knees???

The gold card was the card issued under the 30 baht shceme certainly to all members of my family, and so is nothing new in of itself although maybe the new government now call it the gold card scheme rather than 30-baht scheme. As to how it operates nationwide from what I know it is now patchier than it was. It was always difficult presenting your gold card out of province even under TRT. It still remains so from what I know. In province it seems you now have less chance of getting the free paracetemol than under TRT. The people in my wifes village always joked about free paracetemol. The outpatient stuff was never very good and anybody who could pay used the private clinincs unless they were lucky enough to have the social security cover which is very good (itis a properly funded scheme). From what I hear under TRT and still to today the in patient service is available within province although the after operation care is not so good. How much this has to do with governemnt policy and with the basic fact of poverty stricken rural hospitals catering to too many people is hard to estimate. The current government claim they hav abolished the 30 baht charge but left the scheme in place. maybe that is their line but as with many things unless the government do talk the policy up, hospital administrators and doctors will find it easy to interpret the scheme as dead along with TRT. The truth is this scheme which does have merit needs to revised heavily and properly funded so that a safety net of a better quality can be provided to those who need it.that will indeed be achallenge for ay incoming government as what exists right now is in a mess to say the least.

Security is tightened at Samsen police station and criminal court

Security has been tightened at Samsen police station and the Criminal Court on Friday as police are about to bring the nine anti-coup leaders from the station to the court.

Police will ask the court to allow them detain the group for the second day.

The nine leaders were under police custody on Thursday night after they led the violent anti-coup protest that left more than 100 injured in front of Privy Councillor President Gen Prem Tinsulanond on July 22.

The Nation

The gold card was the card issued under the 30 baht shceme certainly to all members of my family, and so is nothing new in of itself although maybe the new government now call it the gold card scheme rather than 30-baht scheme. As to how it operates nationwide from what I know it is now patchier than it was. It was always difficult presenting your gold card out of province even under TRT. It still remains so from what I know. In province it seems you now have less chance of getting the free paracetemol than under TRT. The people in my wifes village always joked about free paracetemol. The outpatient stuff was never very good and anybody who could pay used the private clinincs unless they were lucky enough to have the social security cover which is very good (itis a properly funded scheme). From what I hear under TRT and still to today the in patient service is available within province although the after operation care is not so good. How much this has to do with governemnt policy and with the basic fact of poverty stricken rural hospitals catering to too many people is hard to estimate. The current government claim they hav abolished the 30 baht charge but left the scheme in place. maybe that is their line but as with many things unless the government do talk the policy up, hospital administrators and doctors will find it easy to interpret the scheme as dead along with TRT. The truth is this scheme which does have merit needs to revised heavily and properly funded so that a safety net of a better quality can be provided to those who need it.that will indeed be achallenge for ay incoming government as what exists right now is in a mess to say the least.

The gold card system actually precedes TRT. A gold card was given for 500 Baht a year, and for this medicine prices were halved, beds and doctors costs were free. Now the gold card is given for free, and nobody knows exactly how the pricing is dealt with. Only one thing is clear - medicine that was given out for free has to be paid for now, doctors fees and beds are free.

Yes, the 30 Baht scheme had many faults, but my experience was that for the poor who could not afford the private clinics, or private care, it was a clear improvement. Not just paracetamol was given out, but, as an example, for my wife's HIV infected uncle, very expensive meningitis cure. The exact same cure had to be now paid for by another relative with HIV.

The question is not about who can pay for what, but that the ones who cannot, are now with a much worse medical coverage than under the 30 Baht scheme.

Thai premier says political tension likely eased after anti-coup protest leaders arrested

2007-07-27 09:23:36

snip

I believe that the political situation will be calmer now,» Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont told reporters. «When the case goes to court, we can explain to people that what was done was not an abuse (of power).

Most of the nine are leading members of ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's now disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party. Thaksin was ousted in September in a bloodless coup.

snip

pr-inside.com

edit to add link

Edited by Mid

The gold card system actually precedes TRT. A gold card was given for 500 Baht a year, and for this medicine prices were halved, beds and doctors costs were free. Now the gold card is given for free, and nobody knows exactly how the pricing is dealt with. Only one thing is clear - medicine that was given out for free has to be paid for now, doctors fees and beds are free.

Yes, the 30 Baht scheme had many faults, but my experience was that for the poor who could not afford the private clinics, or private care, it was a clear improvement. Not just paracetamol was given out, but, as an example, for my wife's HIV infected uncle, very expensive meningitis cure. The exact same cure had to be now paid for by another relative with HIV.

The question is not about who can pay for what, but that the ones who cannot, are now with a much worse medical coverage than under the 30 Baht scheme.

My wife and her family reckon in retrospect the 500 baht scheme was the best and they are poor! Different experiences in different places for 30 baht I think. My mother in law would have died on the 30 baht scheme for want of specific anti-biotics that the government hospital wouldnt give if I hadnt paid for private care elsewhere.

Agreed that a safety net for the poorest is needed, but it is also up to the govenment to lay out how it will be funded in a transparent manner. We shouldnt also forget the coninuing social security scheme which is well organized, provides good coverage, is well funded and is still continuing although how you get the rural people onto a contributary scheme without pricing it out of their reach or detroying the financial stability of it is not easy.

I must say I am impressed. The actions of the present powers to be are at the least very practical and sensible. It is a bit like a rat running around in your house chewing on wires. Sooner or later there will be a short and possible fire. You need to trap the rat and then sort out what to do later.

This is one of the times and properly so the laws can make things look good or bad depending on who you listen to. If I were the judge on this case I would put a lot of weight on the accused track record to decide on bail or not. If they have shown they can behave (in this case not) I would grant bail. I also would be sure the amount was plenty high in both cash and other things such as a lean on their house and property that would be forfeit if they acted in the behavior that got them arrested in the first place.

Edited by John K

My wife and her family reckon in retrospect the 500 baht scheme was the best and they are poor! Different experiences in different places for 30 baht I think. My mother in law would have died on the 30 baht scheme for want of specific anti-biotics that the government hospital wouldnt give if I hadnt paid for private care elsewhere.

Agreed that a safety net for the poorest is needed, but it is also up to the govenment to lay out how it will be funded in a transparent manner. We shouldnt also forget the coninuing social security scheme which is well organized, provides good coverage, is well funded and is still continuing although how you get the rural people onto a contributary scheme without pricing it out of their reach or detroying the financial stability of it is not easy.

Interesting, AFAIK that was the Democrat scheme set up by Dr Arthit prior to TRT and in a slightly related way, Noppadol alledgedly bribing Price Waterhouse to obtain control of his PhayaThai Hospital then supsequently Arthit leaving politics - unlike Sudarat et al, Dr Arthit's scheme did not personally profit himself, and was economically sustainable; he has a degree I think in health admin.

By comparison, the initial 2 years of 30 baht healthcare were a vote winner, but there was no way any country could afford to keep such a scheme running; the main beneficiary were not only the poor (it was AFAIK very well run in TRT voting areas, and almost impossible to obtain in say, the South of Thailand) but the distributors of the specific drugs distributed within the scheme; allegedly coincidentally belonging to friends and family of the health minister.

I was briefly approached with regards to assisting to develop an IT and ERP system to manage the scheme, and it was at that point (about 3 months after first implemented) an absolute farce; they didn't have any idea of any components of the scheme; hospitals were filling in bits of paper for no reason; it was obvious that it was merely some sort of scam, as it had been so ineptly run at that point that it could not possibly be sustainable.

To suggest that this scheme could ever be run long term is laughable; 30b for operations and medication for millions of people. Giving out free drugs that people didn't need, to many people who could afford to pay. And incidentally, I know of virtually no one that got 30b operations as promised; every single one involved bribes and side payments, because the surgery scheme was based on doctors studying abroad for like years and years, then expected to work for less than 20,000b a month in the provinces. Who can long term possibly live and work like that having invested hundreds of thousands of baht in fees and travel to study medicine????!

What they need is 1/2 way between the two; the sustainable, and absolutely free for people without the means to afford healthcare at all; and a graduated cost scheme. Ironically, the 30b scheme has burned through so much cash, that now probably even the gold scheme is not easy to resurrect.

Thailand is considerably ahead of some other countries in terms of subsidised and cost effective healthcare; but at the end of it tax payers are simply not willing to pay a massive 69% tax rate to subsidise all people who want free disprin (as was the case in NZ pre 1984).

In the meantime, as always, the poor are paying the price by getting caught in the cross fire of the idiocy of the last lot in power, and the inability of this lot. I hope things work out Colpyat.....

Edited by steveromagnino

One of the problems of the 30 baht scheme was, like in many other TRT policies, it's implementation. In some areas it was well done, and in others it wasn't. The basic idea of an universal health scheme though is clearly the right direction.

Why has now the present government with its unprecedented powers not improved its implementation, but has done completely away with it? If it would have been for monetary considerations, then they would have hardly afforded the military such a huge budget raise (which though didn't really trickle down to the parts of the military doing what is the real job of the military - the combat units on the ground, who are miserably underfunded).

Every pro people policy of TRT has been done away with in a similar fashion, such as rice subsidies, such as the scholarships. They were all necessary policies that have been mostly badly implemented.

The social security scheme is only for employees under contract. That means in reality for people with at least mor 6 qualifications necessary to get one of the jobs that give you such a contract. Vast sectors of the labour force still work without contract, has no chance to get one, and as you pointed out, none of the small scale farmers have access to it.

The only thing the military does is sending out spies, control the media, and blames Thaksin for things he even hasn't done.

Back to the topic - yes, many of the UDD leaders are flawed. But who else is protesting against the military?

The established political parties are doing nothing than sucking up to the military, nobody else steps in and tries to stop the many draconian actions of the military. People here debate the flaws of the protesters, but what about the flaws of the military?

What about the proposed ISOC laws? What about the scrapping of all pro people policies? What about the continued presence of military in news rooms? What about the undue pressure on all sectors of accepting the new constitution?

In the meantime, as always, the poor are paying the price by getting caught in the cross fire of the idiocy of the last lot in power, and the inability of this lot. I hope things work out Colpyat.....

Now - that is a statement i can truly support.

As to working out, well, i fear that we will see years of social and political turbulence before things start working out here. :o

Back to the topic - yes, many of the UDD leaders are flawed. But who else is protesting against the military?

The established political parties are doing nothing than sucking up to the military, nobody else steps in and tries to stop the many draconian actions of the military. People here debate the flaws of the protesters, but what about the flaws of the military?

What about the proposed ISOC laws? What about the scrapping of all pro people policies? What about the continued presence of military in news rooms? What about the undue pressure on all sectors of accepting the new constitution?

good to have you back .....................................

Why has now the present government with its unprecedented powers not improved its implementation, but has done completely away with it?

It has not been completely abolished, though I'm not surpised that hospitals are not afraid to turn down requests for free medicine as the junta is so busy with controlling the media and sending out spies that it doesn't have time to crack down on hospitals they can't afford to maintain anyway.

In Thaksin's times hospital were forced to rake up debts and lose doctors, and now they feel they'd had enough. Junta doesn't scare them, Thaksin and Sudarat did.

Surayud government doesn't have time to improve failing system, that's for the next government to work out. Same goes for scholarships and rice subsidies.

CNS: No violence expected during holiday

(BangkokPost.com) - The military has stepped up security in Bangkok as a precautionary measure to ensure the general public that there will not be any violence during the four-day holiday period starting tomorrow, Council for National Security spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Friday.

Col Sansern said the first army region has divided Bangkok into 14 zones, and each will be guarded by at least 100 soldiers, who will patrol in the capital and set up check-points to guarantee safety.

The Post Publishing Public Co

Surayud government doesn't have time to improve failing system, that's for the next government to work out. Same goes for scholarships and rice subsidies.

But the military government had the time to scrap scholarships, rice subsidies, etc., and of course it had ample time to increase the military budget, which though did not trickle down to combat units, who are presently doing what the military's intended job is. I think that it is a disgrace that there are combat units actually involved in combat which don't even have the budget for Morphine for their injured soldiers.

Looking at pictures of the 9 arrested, taken on different occasions since their arrests, they can all be seen smiling and waving at their supporting political cult followers/zombies. One even had to leave the courtroom carried by policemen when he refused to stand up and leave. :o

They don't seem to mind it at all for the exposure in brings them. Seems it was all part of a plan. Plans change. :D

Can we start a new thread on these off-topic posts please?

Thank you.

Actually I find some of these slightly off topic posts fascinating, for example the recent exchange between Plus and Colpyat.I think it's a tribute to moderators good sense to let a thread run on a bit if the subject matter is interesting.Suggest you leave this to the moderators to decide.

Thailand to deploy troops to anti-coup protests

Friday, July 27, 2007 05:35 PM

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thailand's junta chief said Friday that he will deploy troops to reinforce security measures by police at anti-coup protests this weekend, as tensions rise ahead of a referendum next month.

"I have already told the army commander for the central region to deploy troops to back up the work of police officers to handle the situation from now on," said General Sonthi Boonyaratglin.

"We are taking tougher legal measures and will take serious legal action against those who violate the law," he told reporters.

The announcement came one day after nine protest leaders were arrested over clashes with police last Sunday that left more than 100 injured.

philstar.com

Detained nine anti-coup leaders to be taken to court at 4pm

Security has been tightened at Samsen police station and the Criminal Court on Friday as police make their ways through a thick crowd to get to the nine anti-coup leaders to transfer them from the station to the court.

Metropolitan police chief Pol Lt Gen Adisorn Nonsee said that police will ask the court to allow them to detain the nine suspects for another 12 days for further questioning.

The nine leaders were placed under police custody on Thursday night. They had led a mass anti-coup protest that turned violent, leaving more than 100, mostly authorities, in front of Privy Councillor President Gen Prem Tinsulanond on July 22.

The nine in custody were Veera Musi-gapong, Jatuporn Phromphan, Jakrapob Penkair, Natthawut Saikua, Weng Tojirakarn, Wi-putalaeng Patanapumithai, Manit Jitchanklab, Apiwan Wiriyachai and Jaran Dittha-apichai.

Police have charged them with instigating violence and the assembling of more than 10 people with intent to disturb the peace.

Metropolitan police hold an urgent meeting to prepare plans for transporting the nine to the court on Ratchadapisek Road out of concerns that their supporters will obstruct their work.

The suspects can apply for bail at this process, but police believed that they should not be bailed out as they might involve in instigating more violence, Adisorn said.

If the court denied the bail request, the group will be sent to be detained in jail and police will question more witnesses and gathered evidence relating to the Sunday clash. "The process will take time," he said.

Adisorn said that to transport the suspects to the court at about 4pm, about 150 police and commandos will be deployed along the road and escorted with the vehicles.

Edited by John K

Alleged anti-coup protest leaders at Bangkok Special Prison

Friday 27 July 2007 08:44:02 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, July 27 (TNA) - Eight anti-coup demonstration ringleaders allegedly involved in clashes between anti-coup protesters and police officers in front of Thailand's chief privy councillor's residence last Sunday have been transferred to Bangkok Special Prison for further detention, though they had desperately petitioned the Criminal Court to waive the detentions.

A ninth alleged ringleader, Charan Ditha-aphichai, was released Friday on Bt200,000 bail.

Criminal Court chief justice Jirawan Suyanwanichakul said she planned to consider the suspects' petition against their detention to be heard August 1.

MCOT Public Company Limited.