60 Day Tourist Visa in Penang Consulate UK Citizen?

As a UK citizen currently outside the UK can I get a 60 days Thai tourist Visa from Penang? What documents and criteria do they need to issue that? This year I have already been in Thailand once on the 30 days visa exemption.

Posted (edited)

Visa Application form, Passport copy, Hotel booking for entire stay, entry and exit flight tickets, last 3 months bank statement, copy of malaysia entry stamp, and 1900 baht.

Also note: You cannot enter the building without long pants and mask over your nose. They only accept a limited number of people per day so people start lining up early before they open.

Its too much hassle imo. But if you have only been in thailand once this year you can probably get it if you follow procedure.

Edited by at15
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, at15 said:

and 1900 baht

Are you sure? Don't they charge their fee in MYR?

I'm asking because, at each of the Thai embassies and consulates I'm familiar with, they only accept ONE currency. So if they say 160 MYR, you can't expect to be able to rock up with the equivalent in THB.

12 hours ago, Caldera said:

Are you sure? Don't they charge their fee in MYR?

I'm asking because, at each of the Thai embassies and consulates I'm familiar with, they only accept ONE currency. So if they say 160 MYR, you can't expect to be able to rock up with the equivalent in THB.

sorry thats a mistake lol, I am so used to the 1900 baht fee. Ya it was 160 MYR only!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

Do all neighbouring states Thai consulates/embassies enforce those rules.?

Sounds a real pain to me.

What sounds like a real pain?

13 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

The first para from the post by at15 at 10.33 am yesterday.

Seems to me to be pretty easy.  Except maybe the bank statements?

On 5/3/2024 at 10:33 AM, at15 said:

Visa Application form, Passport copy, Hotel booking for entire stay, entry and exit flight tickets, last 3 months bank statement, copy of malaysia entry stamp, and 1900 baht.

Also note: You cannot enter the building without long pants and mask over your nose. They only accept a limited number of people per day so people start lining up early before they open.

Its too much hassle imo. But if you have only been in thailand once this year you can probably get it if you follow procedure.

Hotel booking for entire stay?Who does that, book a hotel in advance for 2 months?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Hotel booking for entire stay?Who does that, book a hotel in advance for 2 months?

Exactly, that has always stricken me as a nonsensical requirement. Visa applicants will simply book something - anything- that can later be canceled without penalty. There's no real value in knowing that the applicant can operate an app like Agoda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sabaiguy said:

Seems to me to be pretty easy.  Except maybe the bank statements?

Each to our own, though Angus, caldera and the cyclist seem to have my thinking. Statements, 60 day hotel booking, flight tickets out. Probably sounds bad to me, I've never arrived by air so those bits sound irritating. Been on retirement extension for a while so the real world does not intrude much.

• Confused 1

If you plan to stay no more than 60 days in Thailand, you can simply enter VisaExempt (without a Visa) which will provide you with a 30-day Permission to stay.  In the last 2 weeks of that Permission to stay, visit a provincial Thai Immigration Office and apply for a 30-day extension of stay.  Costs 1.900,- THB, is delivered on the spot, and no need to wait till last days as the 30-day extension is added to the expiry date of your initial Permission to stay. 

You only need a TM-30 notification as proof of address in the province where you are applying.  You can simply ask for a copy of that TM-30 notification at the Hotel/guesthose where you are staying, as according to Thai law they need to fill out such notification whenever a foreigner is staying at their premises.