Biden Addresses Campus Protest Violence: Destroying Property Is Not A Peaceful Protest

image.png

President Joe Biden delivered a stern condemnation of recent pro-Palestinian protests on college campuses, emphasizing the importance of peaceful demonstrations while denouncing acts of violence and property destruction.

In his most comprehensive remarks since the onset of the campus protest movement, Biden underscored the fundamental American principles of free speech and assembly, emphasizing that while there is a right to protest, there is no right to cause chaos. The president's statement comes in the wake of escalating protests across more than 100 campuses, marked by encampments and calls for divestment from Israel.

Biden acknowledged the historical significance of protests in American society but stressed the need for adherence to the law. He criticized actions such as vandalism, trespassing, and disrupting campus activities as contrary to the spirit of peaceful protest and urged demonstrators to respect the boundaries of legality.

While the White House had initially maintained a hands-off approach to the protests, recent incidents of violence and confrontations have increased pressure on Biden to address the situation publicly. Instances such as the occupation of a university building at Columbia and clashes between opposing groups at UCLA have drawn national attention and scrutiny.

Biden condemned antisemitic behavior accompanying the protests, asserting that there is no place for such bigotry on college campuses or anywhere in America. He emphasized the importance of dissent without descending into disorder, highlighting the need for students to complete their education without disruption.

Despite limited outreach to university administrators and a focus on combating antisemitism, Biden's remarks signal a shift towards a more proactive stance on the campus protest issue. By upholding the principles of peaceful protest while condemning violence and bigotry, the president aims to restore order and uphold the rights of all students to express their views without infringing on the rights of others.

2024-05-04

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only property damage I've seen on tv news was caused by thuggish cops. The protestors were not damaging anything but grass.

The cops will come to regret behaving badly, I hope.

That's because you have blinders on... Protester smashing window

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only property damage I've seen on tv news was caused by thuggish cops. The protestors were not damaging anything but grass.

Because you live in the Al Jazeera bubble. Pure vandalism and property damage. Second tweet down

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/5/2024 at 7:07 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Was it Nancy Pelosi that once said, “what a beautiful sight”…

Karma works in strange ways.

14 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Was it Nancy Pelosi that once said, “what a beautiful sight”…

Karma works in strange ways.

The Hong Kong riots and Uni riots were to do with preserving Hong Kong's autonomy from China. Nothing comparable between what going on in the US

On 5/5/2024 at 6:55 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Al Jazeera?

On 5/5/2024 at 12:07 PM, Skipalongcassidy said:

There is nothing to say that that photo is related to any Palestinian supporter. You could have found that from something completely unrelated.

In fact it probably is nothing to do with the Gaza protests as he guy is not a Palestinian supporter. You made a basic error with that photo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There is nothing to say that that photo is related to any Palestinian supporter. You could have found that from something completely unrelated.

In fact it probably is nothing to do with the Gaza protests as he guy is not a Palestinian supporter. You made a basic error with that photo.

All you have to do is google it and then you can be up to date and move beyond your denial...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

All you have to do is google it and then you can be up to date and move beyond your denial...

All I get is the photo which is from Getty images. No context or a way to get information about it.

You need to provide a link to the article it came from. That's what I said before you sent me searching for something that isn't there.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All I get is the photo which is from Getty images. No context or a way to get information about it.

You need to provide a link to the article it came from. That's what I said before you sent me searching for something that isn't there.

Funny how you seem to find what you want to find. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/us-news/columbia-university-professor-says-negotiations-protestors-stalled-sch-rcna149755

Edited by Hawaiian
Add link

On 5/5/2024 at 8:55 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You didnt see the wreckage and trash left behind by the spoiled little darlings? Get a grip.  These kids were LARPing as actual protesters, egged on by malign outside influences who took advantage of their naivete.  Most probably couldnt find Palestine on a map.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's from the takeover of Hamilton Hall at Columbia... Smashed windows, piled furniture left after occupation of Hamilton Hall at Columbia University (nbcnews.com)  Her is the same window after the rioter got done... columbia university hamilton hall unrest israel hamas conflict protest nypd riot gear broken glass door

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Here's a movie of it being done by the protestors! Get that frigging head out of Al Jazeera News!

image.png.9562b7d8e9ad54cec286d898ed7d82bb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seems you are the one who made the error by commenting without knowing all the facts.  All of the major news outlets have reported and documented the damage done by these criminals.  Seems as if your source for news is faulty or downright incompetent.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

Perhaps President Biden should remind the Israeli government that there is an international right to freedom of speech and that there is also a right not to destroy property, especially in a country which is not yours.

In the USA the students are lucky that they were arrested by the police. Palestinians in their own country would simply be shot and killed by the IDF for daring to protest. The students in the USA are not starved, nor do they lack food, water, medicines, shelter and the other essentials of life like the Palestinians are, in their own country.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

It's from the takeover of Hamilton Hall at Columbia... Smashed windows, piled furniture left after occupation of Hamilton Hall at Columbia University (nbcnews.com)  Her is the same window after the rioter got done... columbia university hamilton hall unrest israel hamas conflict protest nypd riot gear broken glass door

You could have included that with the original photo. As the person in question is IMO not a Palestinian supporter it could have been a set up photo to cast doubt on the protestors. I have no doubt there are plenty of fake protestors causing trouble. That's what the forces of darkness do.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You could have included that with the original photo. As the person in question is IMO not a Palestinian supporter it could have been a set up photo to cast doubt on the protestors. I have no doubt there are plenty of fake protestors causing trouble. That's what the forces of darkness do.

Or you could read most any other sources of the news other than what you are reading... these pictures are carried by almost all of the free media and are from many different riot zones in many different universities... it is not covert if your eyes and mind are open.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Whether the person in question may or may not be a Palestinian supporter should not determine if this person should be arrested and charged for criminal property damage. 

It has been widely reported that not all of these protesters are bona fide students and some have appeared at different universities throughout the country.  Are these the dark forces you are referring to?

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Or you could read most any other sources of the news other than what you are reading... these pictures are carried by almost all of the free media and are from many different riot zones in many different universities... it is not covert if your eyes and mind are open.

Free media? You’re ‘aving a laff…

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not related to these protests but sponsored protests in general. During the HK protests, many were paid protesters, paid by think tanks bearing 3 letter acronyms. Destruction was on an altogether different scale. Yet, arrest nuwere minimal. HK police showed restraint, unlike the thugs you see attacking professors and students.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You're right.  According to Fox News, out of 33 people arrested at George Washington University only 6 are students.  The other 27 protestors must be part of "the forces of darkness."

But standing up to fascism and genocide is a worthy cause and if some property gets damaged well so be it. Like the students who stood against Vietnam, and the protestors who marched against the lies to justify the war in Iraq, these students will be proven to be on the right side of history.

• Agree 1