Phuket's Pling Island and nearby area closed to reduce coral bleaching

snoop1130

sl2_bleached_apr16_b_706px_web.jpg

The area around Pling Island and the surrounding coral reefs of Sirinart National Park in Phuket are closed temporarily due to extreme coral bleaching. This is a result of rising sea water temperatures.

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation confirms that the closure starts immediately.

The head of Sirinart National Park, Watchara Songsee-on, stated that this closure will lower the level of human maritime activities. These activities can accelerate the process of coral bleaching. Instances of coral bleaching have also been reported in other locations within the Andaman Sea as well as the Gulf.

A group of Thai PBS reporters who dived in Khai Bay and off Jarn Island, located in Sattahip district of Chon Buri on May 5, found that corals situated at depths of 6-8 meters are bleached. This area is a popular place for diving.

Thorn Thamrongnawasawat, an Associate Professor and marine expert at Kasetsart University, has previously explained that the main reason behind coral bleaching, leading ultimately to death, is an increase in sea water temperatures above 31 degrees Celsius for three to four weeks consecutively. The bleaching of corals also occurs as a result of losing symbiotic algae, photosynthetic pigments and due to different stress aspects such as variations in water temperature.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-08

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

According to the dictionary an idiot is a stupid person, for example:I feel like an idiot who swallowed every lie I was told,so does this apply to your post?

Where I live I would say that April was one of the coldest and wettest months on record,unfortunately that won't fit the climate change/global warming 'agenda'

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

All those human divers raise the water temperature above normal?

Human activity would be a tiny contribution to the bleaching. Tiny but all little things help.