Melatonin - how to order it

I stumbled around a workaround to iHerb's policy of only shipping one bottle of melatonin with a maximum pill count of 90 pills (they won't ship 120 count). 
You can only order one bottle of 60 or 90 count melatonin from a single supplier.  Get the idea?  I just ordered 150 5mg pills (60 + 90) which only cost $1.60 shipping.
Total cost $18 and change or roughly 680 THB at today's exchange rate (37THB/USD ).  I didn't realize the USD/THB had increased.

On a side note, I also made a purchase for $40 and change to get free shipping (different items).  Something to watch though is that 37THB/USD which brings the cost of the items razor-close to the 1500 THB threshold for customs.  This will be interesting.  The charges are in USD so someone at the Post Office would need to look up the exchange rate and calculate the threshold.  If the USD keeps climbing (I'm not complaining) the days of $40 for "Free Shipping" may be a thing of the past as you'll be paying duty.  Not sure what they'll do as I live out in the sticks and know the people at the post office so they may be a little more lax out here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

People selling melatonin here in Thailand are doing so at completely rip-off prices.  Go look on Line Shopping for example.  Fyi - it's not banned although some carriers refuse to ship it (Flash).  Read through that thread as Sheryl chimed in on the topic.  Only available from iHerb shipped via Thai Post and limited to one bottle with a maximum pill count of 90 pills.  Which is why I wrote this post.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, mstevens said:

If you think supplements in Thailand are a rip-off, blame the government regulations which are very time-consuming and expensive to comply with. There is no way a seller in Thailand can sell a product for the same price as iHerb unless they are importing and selling massive quantities or they are failing to comply with the all the regulations.

Trust me - I absolutely blame the government for their part in creating unaffordable prices with their duties and tariffs and impediments to a level playing field when it comes to the sale of imported products.  However, if you chose to compete in the marketplace and do so by selling products at a significant premium over the price of product that can be obtained from other channels overseas?  Don't complain when someone can out compete you.  Nobody is forcing your wife to compete in the marketplace - that's a personal choice.

For example, I looked up a melatonin product that is selling for about $13.50 on iHerb that someone is attempting to sell for ฿1200 or $32 at the present exchange rate.  That's what I'm talking about when I say "rip-off pricing." 

But I believe in free markets, and trade unimpeded by government such as tariffs, duties, and sanctions as well as over-regulation are only there to enrich the government at the expense of the consumer and honest sellers.  But, if you are a seller don't complain when wise and thrifty consumers seek the most discounted prices and make their purchases where they can get the most "bang for their baht/buck" and then talk with other consumers to find the most discounted prices wherever they may be found - which is the purpose of this original OP post.

So, as the OP author I have entertained your question and I have provided an answer, so let's bring this back on topic.
If you wish to take this further, please start your own OP in the Business Forum.  I'd be more then happy to add comments to your OP posted in its own, separate thread.  Thanks! :thumbsup:

This topic is about obtaining discounted melatonin, in this case from iHerb - but I'd entertain discounted melatonin from any seller including those selling domestically or overseas - for those of us who use melatonin for sleep - as well our difficulties finding discounted melatonin here in Thailand as consumers.

Edited by connda
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Regarding iHerb shipping policies.  They have changed.  My last order was last September when I made three $40 orders on the same day in order to obtain free shipping but still stay under the tariff threshold.  There was no problem.

iHerb will now put a "Courtesy Hold" on one of the two orders I made yesterday, and will hold the second order for 72 hours before shipping it.  This applies to a number of countries, and although Thailand isn't on the list of countries which officially receives "Courtesy Holds," unofficially it seems they are. 

So just another "head's up" to changes. 

From iHerb:

Multiple orders were placed in a short period of time. To help prevent customs delays and fees, iHerb will only release one order at a time and temporarily hold other shipments when multiple orders are placed within 24 hours of each other. Here is a list of countries which have complimentary holding periods:

• Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great, Britain, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Ukraine.
Edited by connda
  • Like 1

My Thai pharmacist told me Melatonin is restricted in Thailand. 

I had some  Gabapentin from  the results of back surgery, and it really helps me sleep. 100mg right before bed. I am back to getting at least 6 hours sleep a night, vs. the 3 before taking it. It does have a side effect of dependence. You have to slowly taper off, or you will not sleep at all if you stop. I had been on it for 15 years due to neuropathy from back surgery.  I feel groggy in the AM until a cup of coffee.  It is available at pharmacies here.

• Like 1

Hi Connda. I just typed Puritans Pride Melatonin Thailand into Google search and came up with several suppliers. A lot is written in Thai but I have used a couple of those listed to successfully order 3 & 5mg. The delivery address was in Bkk but I am sure you can work around that. All the best 

• Like 1

Hi Guys; have purchased Melatonin at pharmacies around lower Suk., sometimes under the "circadin" brand name; and at Ekamai Gateway mall; a supplements stall there. Hope this helps. Cheers

• Agree 1

On 5/8/2024 at 7:16 PM, connda said:

I stumbled around a workaround to iHerb's policy of only shipping one bottle of melatonin with a maximum pill count of 90 pills (they won't ship 120 count). 
You can only order one bottle of 60 or 90 count melatonin from a single supplier.  Get the idea?  I just ordered 150 5mg pills (60 + 90) which only cost $1.60 shipping.
Total cost $18 and change or roughly 680 THB at today's exchange rate (37THB/USD ).  I didn't realize the USD/THB had increased.

On a side note, I also made a purchase for $40 and change to get free shipping (different items).  Something to watch though is that 37THB/USD which brings the cost of the items razor-close to the 1500 THB threshold for customs.  This will be interesting.  The charges are in USD so someone at the Post Office would need to look up the exchange rate and calculate the threshold.  If the USD keeps climbing (I'm not complaining) the days of $40 for "Free Shipping" may be a thing of the past as you'll be paying duty.  Not sure what they'll do as I live out in the sticks and know the people at the post office so they may be a little more lax out here. 

Lazada

25 minutes ago, stewart479 said:

Hi Guys; have purchased Melatonin at pharmacies around lower Suk., sometimes under the "circadin" brand name; and at Ekamai Gateway mall; a supplements stall there. Hope this helps. Cheers

In Pattaya I have obtained circadin at both Fascino and D Pharmacies.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:31 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

seriously?

DHEA was removed from Iherb a year or two ago...

pressure of big pharma... I see no other thing... they prefer to sell you TRT or other dangerous hormone replacement, instead of the safer precursor or hormones...

many things like melatonin over 0.3 mg was banned to be shipped to Europe

much better SLEEPING to sell big pharma's pills that cause ALZHEIMER/DEMENTIA

2 hours ago, stewart479 said:

I regularly purchase "Circadin" at my pharmacy in Lat Sawai, Pathum Thani.  I thought I'd try it since I sometimes have trouble going to sleep. I just asked for "Melatonin" and they put a box on the counter, which I purchased. (I think I've been using them periodically now for 7-8 months).  I can only remember one time that they told me out of stock.

1 hour ago, john donson said:

seriously?

DHEA was removed from Iherb a year or two ago...

pressure of big pharma... I see no other thing... they prefer to sell you TRT or other dangerous hormone replacement, instead of the safer precursor or hormones...

many things like melatonin over 0.3 mg was banned to be shipped to Europe

much better SLEEPING to sell big pharma's pills that cause ALZHEIMER/DEMENTIA

I tried melatonin a long time ago and it didn't help me sleep at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2024 at 7:16 PM, connda said:

There's some misinformation here. Melatonin is available in Thailand.  Last week I bought a bottle 180 3 mg capsules of NOW brand melatonin at a vitamin kiosk in Future Park Rangsit Mall.  They have an excellent selection of melatonin and various vitamins or supplements.  I think their prices are fair given their expenses and the cost of rent in the mall.  They are very pleasant to deal with plus you can see what you are purchasing.  I've been doing business with them for years. 

Circadin 2mg is available at Boots around Bkk. The OP I think is seeking advice on other brands as Circadin is only sold in 2mg and is quite expensive. As I said in an earlier post and others have now helpfully added to, it is available just needs some research most probably online as the OP said he lived out in the sticks …

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 3:51 AM, mstevens said:

When you say rip-off prices, can you expand on that? Do you know how hard it is to import these products in to Thailand and the laundry list of permits and licences / permits / rigmarole you need to go through to sell these products legally?

I won't list them all but first, you need a company set up.

Then you need premises to store whatever it is you're selling. This costs a lot of money to set up as there are all sorts of rules you must comply with.

The Thai FDA premises approval costs 25,000+ baht and there is an inspection team who comes out, checks out the premises and carries out an on-site interview. Next, you need licences to be a supplement / food products supplier.

Then you need to submit every single different product you import for FDA approval. Each approval costs money. There are options to get products tested locally or get documentation from government approved testing abroad. It's actually much more complicated than this and this is an ultra-simple explanation.

And then you have to pay VAT of 7%, tax on your profits and, of course, commission to Lazada or Shoppee which is not insubstantial.

Note that any seller who fails to do get FDA approval for a product they are selling is asking for big trouble. All it takes is for someone to make a complaint about them (this happens ALL THE TIME). On the seller forums, many vendors come straight out and say, "I just reported this vendor and that vendor to the FDA as they are selling the same product as me but they are importing it illegally and don't have FDA approval". Anyone reported can expect a court appearance and a criminal conviction. Or they can try and pay their way out of it which is usually in the vicinity of 100K baht to settle plus the forfeiture of all of their stock.

Why do I know all of this? My wife owns a business selling similar products (not Melatonin) so I see this from the other side.

If you think supplements in Thailand are a rip-off, blame the government regulations which are very time-consuming and expensive to comply with. There is no way a seller in Thailand can sell a product for the same price as iHerb unless they are importing and selling massive quantities or they are failing to comply with the all the regulations.

How's that freedom govt keeps harping on about.

Edited by freeworld