Visa To India

I've been living in Goa for the last 3 years and my visa expires beginning of August. I'm coming to Chiang Mai for a look around and was going to get the new visa in the High Commission there. Somebody tells me they are only giving 3 month Tourist visas and not the usual 6 month ones. I'm British.

A long shot, but anyone heard anything on this?

I've been living in Goa for the last 3 years and my visa expires beginning of August. I'm coming to Chiang Mai for a look around and was going to get the new visa in the High Commission there. Somebody tells me they are only giving 3 month Tourist visas and not the usual 6 month ones. I'm British.

A long shot, but anyone heard anything on this?

Haven't heard anything about that specifically but something to keep in mind is that it'll take four or five working days to process a visa application.

Time is not a problem. I'm there for 3 weeks. They tightened up on visas about 18 months ago after political pressure over illegal land deals (Russians) and foreigners buying property on Tourist visas. Nearly all visas are now endorsed "No stay to exceed 180 days". This is to stop you getting Residency status and then to buy property. If I only get 3 months, I'm going London in Sept so I'll try again then. :o Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Consulate. No queues, went straight to the one desk. Pleasant young lady (Thai) informed me that they are only authorised to issue 3 month Tourist visas. She said Bangkok can issue 6 months. That was yesterday. She said come back on 14th Audust. Now you know. :o

Went to the Consulate. No queues, went straight to the one desk. Pleasant young lady (Thai) informed me that they are only authorised to issue 3 month Tourist visas. She said Bangkok can issue 6 months. That was yesterday. She said come back on 14th Audust. Now you know. :D

Interesting, thanks for the follow-up. I don't suppose they give you any break on the cost of the visa since its validity is effectively half of what it should be...? :o

Edited by ovenman

Went to the Consulate. No queues, went straight to the one desk. Pleasant young lady (Thai) informed me that they are only authorised to issue 3 month Tourist visas. She said Bangkok can issue 6 months. That was yesterday. She said come back on 14th Audust. Now you know. :D

Interesting, thanks for the follow-up. I don't suppose they give you any break on the cost of the visa since its validity is effectively half of what it should be...? :o

No. Same price but it does say Tourist visa 1-6 months, and it's at thejr discretion.

I don't suppose they give you any break on the cost of the visa since its validity is effectively half of what it should be...? :o

No. Same price but it does say Tourist visa 1-6 months, and it's at thejr discretion.

It's certainly not the first time I have heard of an Indian consular office granting less than six months on a tourist visa. Funny how they'll give you six months at the Indian embassy in Bangkok though. I would expect that Bangkok is more of an India visa runner's destination rather than Chiang Mai (and BKK probably still gets a fraction of the visa-seekers that Kathmandu or Colombo sees).