Extension of stay based on having a thai child

Posted (edited)

What is the rules and demands for being able to apply for an extension based of having a thai child.

What do I need to "show"???

Thank you for your help

Edited by glegolo18

Posted (edited)

Firstly, to be regarded as the legitimate Father of a Thai child, the child must have been born in wedlock, otherwise you need to be legalised as the Father.

The child must reside with you.

Financial requirement of 40K per month, or 400K in a Thai bank on the day of application.

327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf 

Section 2.18

Edited by Liquorice
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

How does a father legitimize his child?

In Thailand, being the biological father of a child does not confer any parental rights even if the father is named on the birth certificate. The father can only be deemed the legitimate parent of the child in three ways. The first way is if the father and the mother are legally married at the time of the child’s birth or became legally married, the husband is deemed the legitimate parent. The second and third way for a father to legitimize their parental rights is through registration with the local Amphur with the mother’s consent or through a court judgment.

If the visitor believes that he may be the biological father and wants parental rights but does not want to get married, he has two options. He can contact the Thai mother and ask if the mother will consent to the legitimization. If the mother agrees that that visitor is the father, the father can submit a legitimization with local Amphur where the child was born. The registrar will notify the mother of the child of the father’s application. The mother will have 60 days to consent to the application. After 60 days, the mother will be presumed to not have consented.

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/father-of-the-child-legitimization-in-thailand/#:~:text=He can contact the Thai,child of the father's application.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Posted (edited)

You need to be married before the child was born, if not, you are not the legal father, even your name etc is in the birth certificate. In this case you will still need to marry and/or go to family court to get that done. Many offices now no longer extend for child visa in Thailand, when not having that, even they did before. 

The irony is that they do give you a non-o visa at embassies and consulates abroad, without it. This is about all anyone needs to know. Secondly I found it interesting that I also had to sign papers, when we made a Thai passport for the first time. Makes no sense for both if they look at it like above.

Welcome to the country of nonsense 😉

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You need to be married before the child was born, if not, you are not the legal father,

You need to read my replies to the OP.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No I don't, you copy and paste stuff lazy, making a super long post, which i compressed into 2 sentences. Aside from that, you missed to highlight the second part, that it doesn't matter in terms of obtaining a non-o visa itself.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

They won't allow it if married to the mother, they will insist you get a marriage extension instead. The reason is the seasoning of funds, it isn't needed for the child based extension, so those with families could use it as a backway into not having to season the 400k. 

This caused issues for a friend whose wife was transferred overseas for a 2 year contract and the foreign husband and children stayed in Thailand. They refused to issue a child extension because he was still married to the mother, and refused a marriage extension because he was not living together with the wife. 

In the end he had to pay for an agent in another province that got him a marriage extension in that province for a large fee. 

Edited by JeffersLos

59 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

you copy and paste stuff lazy, making a super long post, which i compressed into 2 sentences.

Google is your friend before paying attention to some know it all on a Thai forum that thinks he knows all the answers.

7 hours ago, glegolo18 said:

What is the rules and demands for being able to apply for an extension based of having a thai child.

There is no visa/extension based on just having a Thai child, it is based on your supporting that child.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Well as yet the OP hasn't stated his marital status, widowed, divorced, or if the child even lives with him, so unless you personally know him, you've assumed a lot by quoting under which circumstances your considered the 'Father' of a Thai child for an extension of permit of stay.

Edited by Liquorice

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Google is your friend before paying attention to some know it all on a Thai forum that thinks he knows all the answers.

Yeah, unfortunately neith Google nor Siam Legal issue permits of stay, which is why I posted Immigration orders first.

These topics frequently pop up, and unless the child is firstly living with the person requesting the extension, anything else is immaterial.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Firstly, to be regarded as the legitimate Father of a Thai child, the child must have been born in wedlock, otherwise you need to be legalised as the Father.

The child must reside with you.

Financial requirement of 40K per month, or 400K in a Thai bank on the day of application.

327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf 504.7 kB · 3 downloads  

Section 2.18

That did not apply to my situation, as I was not married to the mother, child was not born in  (my) wedlock and I was not the birth father nor adopted the child.   

Mother did sign an affidavit stating I was the sole provider for the child.   This done by US Embassy staff, and translated to Thai.  Father was MIA, as was the mother most of the time. Forget if I had to show financials.  Had Grandparents if needing further verification, but none needed.

That visa was extended at least once, then I turned 50 and simply got the retirement visa.  This was 20 yrs ago ... so there's that.

I would simply ask at the Imm office you plan on using, what 'they' want, and ask someone higher up the chain of command.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That did not apply to my situation, as I was not married to the mother, child was not born in  (my) wedlock and I was not the birth father nor adopted the child.   

Mother did sign an affidavit stating I was the sole provider for the child.   This done by US Embassy staff, and translated to Thai.  Father was MIA, as was the mother most of the time. Forget if I had to show financials.  Had Grandparents if needing further verification, but none needed.

FFS! OP asked about applying for an extension to his permit of stay at Immigration, not a 'Visa' from a Thai Embassy.

Apples and oranges.

59 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That visa was extended at least once, then I turned 50 and simply got the retirement visa. 

No you didn't. A visa cannot be extended.

Edited by Liquorice

45 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

FFS! OP asked about applying for an extension to his permit of stay at Immigration, not a 'Visa' from a Thai Embassy.

Apples and oranges.

No you didn't. A visa cannot be extended.

non -0- visa for support of Thai national, and yes, it was extended, at least once.  And exactly what the OP asked.

If his child even easier, I would think.  

And yet, I get a visa extension every year ... go figure

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

non -0- visa for support of Thai national, and yes, it was extended, at least once.

You obviously don't read the forms you complete for an extension, or the stamps you receive.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

You obviously don't read the forms you complete for an extension, or the stamps you receive.

That's funny, and I guess the IO can't read or understand either.   

REASON FOR LONG STAY IN TH;   Support of Thai National

Pretty hard to miss, but hey, you know much better about what happen with my visa & extension than I do.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Pretty hard to miss, but hey, you know much better about what happen with my visa & extension than I do

It's not semantics.

Your non O (visa) is not extended.

Visas are not extended.

You have a temporary permission of stay.

It's a permit and if meeting requirements the POS can be extended. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1